Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crawley v Brighton and Hove Albion *OFFICIAL* Match Thread.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Definitely Albion MoM tonight. Fought for absolutely everything and would make a class addition to the squad. IMHO, like.

Hahaha! Perfect! Knew you would think this considering your views on Murray.

You watch football in SUCH a different way to me. You seem much more impressed by people trying and failing to correct their own mistakes than people who don't make them in the first place.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Thought we were poor tonight, in particular down both wings in both halves. Cox still doesnt want to run at players which imo is what a winger should do, spiller didnt look like a winger, and then Wright looked quiet on the left wing. Dont know who #22 was but was put on right wing, but seemed to spend more time in Central/defensive midfield, leaving el abd to do all the running and attacking down the right. Dickinson and Murray looked poor, Davies was lively but again no end product. The greek lb was caught out of position early on, but imo after that didnt put a foot wrong, and looked like he really wanted it.

Greg (CTFC)

Feb 20, 2004
As a regular at the Broadfield Stadium I can assure you that there were more than the 950 or so announced, closer to 1,500 I would have said, good turnout from the Albion fans though, certainly had 50% of the crowd. I think the Crawley turn out was low as it's the 3rd home game in 6 days and at £16 to sit each game that adds up quite quickly.

Brighton may have had new players gelling but so did Crawley (there were 5 that played tonight that are new signings over the summer), and we had an 18 year old youth team player making his debut - I just thought a little perspective was needed.

I thought our back 4 dealt reasonably comfortably with your forwards, and when they didn't our keeper made 3 or 4 really good quality saves, but he's always been a great shot-stopper, and you tend to feel reasonably confident when the opposition are restricted to shots from outside the penalty area, he's a big keeper and tough to beat from that range.

I think Crawley are a couple of players short of being a top 6 conference team this year, hopefully I'm wrong and they surprise me.

Difficult to judge too much from friendlies but I Brighton look like they need a bit more quality if they are going to have a better season than last.

Good luck and hope we get you in the FAC 3rd round again :)

brightonmad999

Jan 31, 2008
shoreham
We r missing a decent commanding midfielder that can make things happed and be able to pick a pass and i didnt think the new players that made me sit up adn say well hes good and give me hope for this season and i hope im wrong and i know it was only crawley 2nite and we still got two friendlys left and hope they start to gel as a team and im sorry if noone agrees with me im only saying .

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
On a positive note Dicker was superb! Able to take the ball on under pressure, turn his Marker and pick a decent pass. I really wouldn't be suprised if he is our best player come next may

After last nights performance and our other friendlies so far, it looks as if we are on for another long season, looking downwards rather than upwards.

I know it is early days and we have two more friendlies, however the likes of Leeds, Norwich and all cannot be quaking in their boots at us.............

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
wont be long then before the slade out chants begin then :laugh::lolol:

I've been wondering about that, if we have a bad start Slade is potentially gonna end up a modern day Steve Gritt. Our fans are not renowned for their patience...

Last edited:

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Kuipers kept us in it in the first half.

Dicker looked really composed on the ball.

Dickinson, strikes me as a bit similar to Davies - lots of running energetic play, but with little end product.

Forster looked the most likely to score when he came on and he has to start IMO the first game if he's fit.

Cronis - worrying, a few good tackles but usually after being caught out of position and trying to redeem the situation. Also very small and might get knocked off the ball by stronger oponents.

Tunicliffe - great long throw, but was culpable for the goal, losing his man wide out badly.

Smith - did ok, but flapped badly at his first testing cross, and there is no way I see him starting ahead of Kuipers.

Wright - had little involvement when he came on but I still think he will prove to be one of the better signings this summer.

Thornhill and Spiller did ok - Spiller had a decent attempt first half but again neither player stood out greatly.

Elphick/Virgo/Murray/Whing/Cox - all played resonably last night, but can't help but think that Murray's hearts not really in it - his body language seemed disinterested to me.

Crofts and the other Smith - looked quite useful when they came on, but it was a hard game to judge - it looked what it was a lower league kick and rush type of game with absolutely no continuity.

To sum up - it was a crap game to watch - entertainment factor 1 - but it was good to see a few of the new faces first hand, of which Dicker (who we already knew about) looked undoubtedly the best.

gong

Oct 13, 2003
T/Wells
Hahaha! Perfect! Knew you would think this considering your views on Murray.

You watch football in SUCH a different way to me. You seem much more impressed by people trying and failing to correct their own mistakes than people who don't make them in the first place.

Well tar me with the same brush then because i thought he stood out for us in the first half and was one of only a couple of our players that looked like they could actually be arsed.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Probably not, but if he signed he'd probably become the next Doug Loft (certain posters falling over their feet because of his pretty boy looks).

1212.jpg

Dead ringer for NSC's very own Strike :lol:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Game of opinions innit :shrug:

A little bit of fighting spirit goes a long way at this level. Helps you punch above your weight. With half a dozen games to go last season the Albion were dead and buried, a lost cause. Lucky we had players on the field who chase lost causes eh?

I stand by my view that Cronis would be a more than useful addition to the squad. He's a battler, reminded me a bit of McShane in that department. As for him being 'constantly out of position', that Crawly kiddie was stretching him a bit, for sure, but Cronis always nailed him down by the corner flag. Kiddie rarely got a cross in.

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
I just think last nights game was a training session. When RS wants the lads to play like they will in the season we will see less subs (obviously) and more proper partnerships in midfield and up front.

Hot potatoe

crawley v brighton
1 overpriced
2 you had to miss 20min just to get tea
3 if the crowd was 900'ish crawley only had 300
4 brighton players unable to jump(worrying)
5 brighton unable to keep the ball beyond three passes(very worrying)
6 greek left back done good
7 kuipers position safe on last nights game
8 craig dav alot of effort but not a striker
9 looked like we were told to get the ball forward as quickly as poss? why? i think crawley expected a little bit more ball retention from the albion,so did i.

MY ADVICE CALM DOWN AND PLAY FOOTBALL

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here