Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crawley sent us to gillingham so

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Seriously, I work very close to the county boundary: a few weeks ago I went to assist with a traffic accident which was on their turf, and it was all I could do to get a couple of Surrey units to come out. There is no way, or no earthly reason why, Surrey would have any influence on football at Crawley, because it is nowt to do with them. Local politics, all police forces deal with it.

Ummm; I don't want to pick a fight with someone whose NSC posts I usually have a great deal of time for.

However I am not sure why you are assuming that just because some Surrey Police couldn't be arsed to attend a traffic incident you were dealing with, it means they wouldn't be interested in whether the Albion shared with Crawley. I'd always understood the problem with the idea was t'Council. But I can't see that we have proof one way or the other as to whether Surrey Police did or did not influence the Council's decision. Unless their views are recorded in any press release/council minute etc.

Anyway, we won 4-1 today and are still top of the league. Lets all chill out and have the beverage of our choice in celebration....

D

Deleted User X18H

Ummm; I don't want to pick a fight with someone whose NSC posts I usually have a great deal of time for.

However I am not sure why you are assuming that just because some Surrey Police couldn't be arsed to attend a traffic incident you were dealing with, it means they wouldn't be interested in whether the Albion shared with Crawley. I'd always understood the problem with the idea was t'Council. But I can't see that we have proof one way or the other as to whether Surrey Police did or did not influence the Council's decision. Unless their views are recorded in any press release/council minute etc.

Anyway, we won 4-1 today and are still top of the league. Lets all chill out and have the beverage of our choice in celebration....

This.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
And really how can you be so sure?

Because at the time the club were building ths stadium, I was based in Crawley, renting a room from a mate who had a house in broadfield. He was Crawley supporter so knew what was going on, plus it was reported in detail in the local paper(i think its called the observer)

Incidentally the council were hugely supportive of the club helping find a suitable area for a new ground and supporting the building project financially. Some residents of Broadfield, especialy those from the area immediatley bordering the ground were worried by the presence of the satdium on their doorsteps. To assuage their fears the council agreed that the ground should only be used by CrawleyTown or a succesor club and therefore no groundshares were possible
Admittedly i was abroad for large periods at this time , but i'm certain my version of events is a lot closer to the truth than your bizarre fantasies about neighbouring police forces and hordes of Crystal Palace supporters.

Incidentally have you ever been to or spoken to anyone from Crawley?

No they did not, Bellotti did YA KNOB.
Just for the sake of historical accuracy, can I nail the inaccuracy here?

It wasn't Bellotti who sent us to Gillingham. It was Archer.

I know this to be a FACT, because, while working at a local government conference in Eastbourne, where Bellotti was present, he asked me to rearrange his transport arrangements to allow him to go to a meeting with Archer and Paul Scally in Birmingham. That was a meeting that Archer had arranged and it was the meeting that resulted in the agreement that the Albion would groundshare at Gillingham. To enable him to attend the meeting in Birmingham, Bellotti had to pull out of a conference dinner that he (and other senior East Sussex County Councillors) had been intended to host at Glyndebourne. Bellotti's role at this time (as it was most of the time) was to be no more than Archer's gofer.

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
Sorry, archer was responsible for the move to Kent, you cannot blame anyone else, nor should you. As for Crawley, the 2 times I have been there, I have seen more palace tops, hats and scarfs than is healthy... So f*** em..

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Who cares? Crawley FC is a shit club financed by funny money with a spiv for a manager and a fan base of about 250. It's in a shit town that is, frankly, the equivalent of a tramp stamp tattoo on the back of the supermodel that is Sussex. f*** 'em, I say. Don't need to manufacture a reason. There's enough to go round already.

12/15 years ago you would have had a totally different opinion... strange how time changes our views. Crawley would have been perfect, increasing their stadium capacity at the cost of BHA, of course they would have been up for that. And most Brighton fans would have been up for that as opposed to Gillingham. From a footballing point of view, those that didn't make it professionally may well have been tested by Crawley, giving them a good source of players. Everyone would have been happy?

Edna stop talking sense and stating facts... NSC doesn't appreciate it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here