Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crawley sent us to gillingham so

PC BHA

Sep 29, 2005
It was Dick Knight who tried to arrange a ground share with Crawley after the expulsion EGM. He also tried to arrange one with Millwall but the Met said no . I think you'll find it was Sussex Police who veotoed the Crawley gound share with much help from the Surrey constabulary.

Is not correct...

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Ok. From what I remember Crawley is quite near Surrey so, and although its is ridiculous in those days had a high percentage of Palace fans. However in July 1997 after consulting with the FL DK approached the board of Crawley Town with his ground share idea. The owners of Crawley were well up for it , as where the town council with the thought of 5000 odd Albion fans turning up and spending cash in the town every other week. However the Sussex Police told the council 'no way' and said their counterparts from Surrey also expressed concerns as Wimbeldon and Palace took up much of their own resources during the season if they might have to be drafted should anything happen on the hooligan front or if Place fans ambused Brighton at Three Bridges.

Look, I'm not arguing just for the sake of it, but a few points re the above.

Wimbledon and Palace games fall under the Met's jurisdiction, not Surrey.

Anything kicking off at Three Bridges would be the British Transport Police's responsibility, not Surrey.

In your previous post you said it was the police and the council against the Albion but in this one you say the council were in favour.

Without naming names, I can say from personal conversations that the majority on CBC were against the move.

And if it ever kicked off in Crawley as a result of an Albion game, Sussex would use resources from Haywards Heath, East Grinstead, Horsham, Burgess Hill and then the rest of Sussex before they called in Surrey, as they would have to pay Surrey for it, and no police force likes to cough up money to another.

All of which means I find the idea that Surrey had any input completely implausible.

D

Deleted User X18H

Anything kicking off at Three Bridges would be the British Transport Police's responsibility, not Surrey.

In your previous post you said it was the police and the council against the Albion but in this one you say the council were in favour.

Without naming names, I can say from personal conversations that the majority on CBC were against the move.

And if it ever kicked off in Crawley as a result of an Albion game, Sussex would use resources from Haywards Heath, East Grinstead, Horsham, Burgess Hill and then the rest of Sussex before they called in Surrey, as they would have to pay Surrey for it, and no police force likes to cough up money to another.

All of which means I find the idea that Surrey had any input completely implausible.

No You're right.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun

Give up Edna. No matter how many facts you present, that twat will still be convinced that his view, based on some fatuous hearsay, is correct.

Joey Deacon's Disco Suit

It's a THUG life
Apr 19, 2010
Who cares? Crawley FC is a shit club financed by funny money with a spiv for a manager and a fan base of about 250. It's in a shit town that is, frankly, the equivalent of a tramp stamp tattoo on the back of the supermodel that is Sussex. f*** 'em, I say. Don't need to manufacture a reason. There's enough to go round already.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Who cares? Crawley FC is a shit club financed by funny money with a spiv for a manager and a fan base of about 250. It's in a shit town that is, frankly, the equivalent of a tramp stamp tattoo on the back of the supermodel that is Sussex. f*** 'em, I say. Don't need to manufacture a reason. There's enough to go round already.

I really LIKE the tramp stamp tattoo analogy :lolol:

D

Deleted User X18H

Give up Edna. No matter how many facts you present, that twat will still be convinced that his view, based on some fatuous hearsay, is correct.

DK told me himself in Hove Rec whilst walking his spaniel. Or perhaps I am getting confused with something else. Maybe Jean Bamber told me via text!

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun

I wholeheartedly agree with this gentleman's description of Crawley.

The Terminator

Aug 7, 2010
i along with many others have a soft spot for them but i seem to think if they get in to the football league i will start to dislike them more and more the longer they stay as it will go down as a derby match

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
Ok. From what I remember Crawley is quite near Surrey so, and although its is ridiculous in those days had a high percentage of Palace fans. However in July 1997 after consulting with the FL DK approached the board of Crawley Town with his ground share idea. The owners of Crawley were well up for it , as where the town council with the thought of 5000 odd Albion fans turning up and spending cash in the town every other week. However the Sussex Police told the council 'no way' and said their counterparts from Surrey also expressed concerns as Wimbeldon and Palace took up much of their own resources during the season if they might have to be drafted should anything happen on the hooligan front or if Place fans ambused Brighton at Three Bridges.

You should go see a doctor to get checked out for Alzheimers cos nothing like that happened at the time.

Crawley council vetoed the groundshare. This is because as part of the planning permissions for the Broadfield stadium the council had promised the residents of Broadfield that the Stadium would not be shared with any other club.

PS There were not a significant number of Palace fans in Crawley at that time, in fact your whole argument smacks of your usual tedious trolling.

D

Deleted User X18H

You should go see a doctor to get checked out for Alzheimers cos nothing like that happened at the time.

Crawley council vetoed the groundshare. This is because as part of the planning permissions for the Broadfield stadium the council had promised the residents of Broadfield that the Stadium would not be shared with any other club.

PS There were not a significant number of Palace fans in Crawley at that time, in fact your whole argument smacks of your usual tedious trolling.

And really how can you be so sure?

Oct 2, 2008

Take a bow. Post of the week.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
My sister-in-law worked for Crawley council in the planning dept and she told me that the council turned down the groundshare even before it was made public,she was as gutted as I was

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here