Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crawley sent us to gillingham so

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Crawley COUNCIL said no to the groundshare. It was nothing to do with Crawley FC.

D

Deleted User X18H

It was Dick Knight who tried to arrange a ground share with Crawley after the expulsion EGM. He also tried to arrange one with Millwall but the Met said no . I think you'll find it was Sussex Police who veotoed the Crawley gound share with much help from the Surrey constabulary.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It was Dick Knight who tried to arrange a ground share with Crawley after the expulsion EGM. He also tried to arrange one with Millwall but the Met said no . I think you'll find it was Sussex Police who veotoed the Crawley gound share with much help from the Surrey constabulary.

Christ on a BIKE, how many times does this need to be spelled out to some people on here?? :facepalm:

The decision not to allow the Albion to play at Broadfield was NOTHING to do with:

(a) CTFC, who were quite keen, or;

(b) Sussex Police (and what in God's name you think Surrey Police might have an input for, only you know).

It was entirely down to Crawley Borough Council, who own the Broadfield Stadium.

This is about the two hundredth time this issue has been raised on here, and still people get it wrong. Would it help if I posted the above in a larger font size, perhaps .72?

D

Deleted User X18H

Christ on a BIKE, how many times does this need to be spelled out to some people on here?? :facepalm:

The decision not to allow the Albion to play at Broadfield was NOTHING to do with:

(a) CTFC, who were quite keen, or;

(b) Sussex Police (and what in God's name you think Surrey Police might have an input for, only you know).

It was entirely down to Crawley Borough Council, who own the Broadfield Stadium.

This is about the two hundredth time this issue has been raised on here, and still people get it wrong. Would it help if I posted the above in a larger font size, perhaps .72?

No you are WRONG. Surrey Police expressed concern re the amount of Palace followers in Crawley and THEY and the Council chucked it out. I know I live a five minute walk from DK's old house in Rigden Road Hove.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
No you are WRONG. Surrey Police expressed concern re the amount of Palace followers in Crawley and THEY and the Council chucked it out. I know I live a five minute walk from DK's old house in Rigden Road Hove.

Oh really, I must say I would be FASCINATED to know why Surrey Police would give a toss about a football match being played in Sussex, between a team from Sussex, and opponents from (potentially) almost every other county in England other than Surrey (as there are currently no FL or PL teams who fall within Surrey Police's jurisdiction). Were they, perchance, concerned that there might be riots in Horley? Rucks in Reigate?

It would be nothing whatsoever to do with Surrey.

D

Deleted User X18H

Oh really, I must say I would be FASCINATED to know why Surrey Police would give a toss about a football match being played in Sussex, between a team from Sussex, and opponents from (potentially) almost every other county in England other than Surrey (as there are currently no FL or PL teams who fall within Surrey Police's jurisdiction). Were they, perchance, concerned that there might be riots in Horley? Rucks in Reigate?

It would be nothing whatsoever to do with Surrey.

Ok. From what I remember Crawley is quite near Surrey so, and although its is ridiculous in those days had a high percentage of Palace fans. However in July 1997 after consulting with the FL DK approached the board of Crawley Town with his ground share idea. The owners of Crawley were well up for it , as where the town council with the thought of 5000 odd Albion fans turning up and spending cash in the town every other week. However the Sussex Police told the council 'no way' and said their counterparts from Surrey also expressed concerns as Wimbeldon and Palace took up much of their own resources during the season if they might have to be drafted should anything happen on the hooligan front or if Place fans ambused Brighton at Three Bridges.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Seriously, I work very close to the county boundary: a few weeks ago I went to assist with a traffic accident which was on their turf, and it was all I could do to get a couple of Surrey units to come out. There is no way, or no earthly reason why, Surrey would have any influence on football at Crawley, because it is nowt to do with them. Local politics, all police forces deal with it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here