Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crawley attendance 2100 last night. Is this sustainable?

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
They have a large catchment area...

Yes but I am in their catchment area as are many other Albion fans in Horsham but I do not have the slightest interest in Crawley positive or negative I still see them as just another local non league team and that's the problem they are the new kid on the block with no special attraction.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Yes but I am in their catchment area as are many other Albion fans in Horsham but I do not have the slightest interest in Crawley positive or negative I still see them as just another local non league team and that's the problem they are the new kid on the block with no special attraction.

Agreed, nothing positive or negative.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
My information is that part of the reason for their success is that Bruce Winfield and Susan Carter insisted on tight budgeting when they took over and make Evans account for every penny. They've made £2m in the past 2 seasons from FA Cup runs, the ground costs them virtually nothing as it's council-owned, and they had the fifth-highest wage bill in the Blue Square last season. There are two Hong Kong-based investors who each own less than ten percent of the club (and therefore do not have to be named on the official website), a banker and a restaurant owner - both British - but neither has had to put anything in this season.

There are all sorts of rumours, but as far as anyone has been able to find out, that's all they are - rumours. Still, when a team is able to earn promotion on small crowds, there are bound to be people who point fingers. For example, if we'd won three promotions to the Championship on our tiny gates at Withdean ... oh, wait ..

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Let's all laugh at Crawley, let's all laugh at Crawley, ha ha ha ha, ha ha ha ha!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The local whisper is its mainly drug money, maybe they could give away a ticket with a bag of brown to synaesthise their business.

That MAY have applied to one of the previous owners in Crawley's history, :whistle: no names mentioned of course. Perhaps that's what's behind this rumour.

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
I used to print their programmes for them last season and they were always a funny lot. They bummed me 2 games before the end of the season after getting a new 'marketing manager'......could have at least given me the last 2 games but no. A club with no class, no sustainability, quite frankly run by people who think they all Billy Big time. Feel sorry for the fans as it will all end in tears. Thank god for the Albion, after all the grief over the years it shows if you treat your fans and your community right you will come out on top. Crawley could learn a lot

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
... For example, if we'd won three promotions to the Championship on our tiny gates at Withdean ... oh, wait ..

key difference was we where selling out every week and had a few ten thousand fans feeding funds in through the shop. however, is 2k that unusual for forth tier? i dont think it is, at random Bury v Chesterfield in League one had same attendance last tuesday.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
My information is that part of the reason for their success is that Bruce Winfield and Susan Carter insisted on tight budgeting when they took over and make Evans account for every penny. They've made £2m in the past 2 seasons from FA Cup runs, the ground costs them virtually nothing as it's council-owned, and they had the fifth-highest wage bill in the Blue Square last season. There are two Hong Kong-based investors who each own less than ten percent of the club (and therefore do not have to be named on the official website), a banker and a restaurant owner - both British - but neither has had to put anything in this season.

There are all sorts of rumours, but as far as anyone has been able to find out, that's all they are - rumours. Still, when a team is able to earn promotion on small crowds, there are bound to be people who point fingers. For example, if we'd won three promotions to the Championship on our tiny gates at Withdean ... oh, wait ..

However the Guardian and Observor have been writing pieces for longer than that questioning where the money is coming from and how it does not need to be declared. They were outspending us and most the clubs two leagues above them when thet were in the conferance.

'FA rules require Conference club directors, and owners of 30% or more of the shares, to self-certify that they are "fit and proper people," with no convictions. An FA spokesman said Crawley have complied, but did not explain whether in fact any of the new investors individually owns 30%'

Ownership doubts threaten to ruin romance of Crawley Town's FA Cup tie | David Conn | Football | The Guardian

raymondbriggs

Dec 21, 2008
on a snowman plough
They remind me a bit of Rushden and Diamonds but with added cup runs.

It turned out that the Diamonds weren't forever....

And Rushded and Diamonds had the support and stadium sponsorship money of the Griggs family,the owners and manufacturers of the Dr Martens brands.the income from a Dr Martens outlet store and still that wasn't enough.

Adopted Brightonian

Jan 31, 2009
Brighton/Northampton
And Rushded and Diamonds had the support and stadium sponsorship money of the Griggs family,the owners and manufacturers of the Dr Martens brands.the income from a Dr Martens outlet store and still that wasn't enough.

Indeed, we were always doomed from the start, yet at our highest moments we were getting crowds of 5000.
So for Crawley to be getting less than half of that...they really stand no chance.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
It seems no coincidence that they sold Barnett immediately after being knocked out of the cup - perhaps they were relying on another big payday?

However, it dos seem that they are having a bit of a fire-sale - and in fact doing what other clubs should - sell players to pay debts rather than going into administration.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
However the Guardian and Observor have been writing pieces for longer than that questioning where the money is coming from and how it does not need to be declared. They were outspending us and most the clubs two leagues above them when thet were in the conferance.

'FA rules require Conference club directors, and owners of 30% or more of the shares, to self-certify that they are "fit and proper people," with no convictions. An FA spokesman said Crawley have complied, but did not explain whether in fact any of the new investors individually owns 30%'

Ownership doubts threaten to ruin romance of Crawley Town's FA Cup tie | David Conn | Football | The Guardian

You prove my point. David Conn coudn't find out anything concrete about the mysterious benefactors. And Football League regulations are more stringent, requiring anyone with a 10 percent shareholding to declare themselves.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
It seems no coincidence that they sold Barnett immediately after being knocked out of the cup - perhaps they were relying on another big payday?

However, it dos seem that they are having a bit of a fire-sale - and in fact doing what other clubs should - sell players to pay debts rather than going into administration.

Exactly. On another thread Prtsmouth are being criticised, and quite rightly, for living beyond their means, so it seems harsh to have a go at Crawley when they try to live within theirs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here