Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crawley attendance 2100 last night. Is this sustainable?

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
It seems no coincidence that they sold Barnett immediately after being knocked out of the cup - perhaps they were relying on another big payday?

However, it dos seem that they are having a bit of a fire-sale - and in fact doing what other clubs should - sell players to pay debts rather than going into administration.

Or because of their succes bigger clubs are circling their best players. Peterborough of the Championship have taken Barnet. They were also after McFadzean in the transfer window. Matt Tubbs went to Bournemouth (who are suddenly throwing the money around). Both the players that have left have gone for big money. I don't think the scenario is that unusual for a league 2 club.

D

Deleted member 18477

A large price to pay if it means they are not now strong enough to get promotion. I have a feeling they were expecting to double their crowds and increase their revenue by being in the football league. The town is full of London prem fans who will not swap their alliegences and suddenly support their local L2 team.

exactly. they were only ever interested in crawley when they played a big team. 9000 went and only 2000 were proper fans.

i feel sorry for the 2000 loyal fans. i know a couple of season ticket holders... yes they are enjoying league football but christ they would be devastated if it all ended in tears!

i for one hope they get promoted!

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
this thread started about the 2100 fans that made the game on Wednesday, I was going to go until i looked out side, it was tipping it down and I instantly made for the couch and radio for Brighton v Hull. I reckon a fair few others did that as well. Also Morecambe didnt even bring a coach down, and my dad said were less than 20, which does not help the gate.

They dont have big earners at the club now the big strikers are gone, the wages are not what people think. Also Im sure the next home game against Torquay will be back to around 3800, which is a great effort compared to where they were 2 years ago, it will take time to get it to where they need, but I think they will get there. and if they do go up, some of the sides in League one will bring along 1500 -2000 for the games, look at some of the sides, Sheff Wed, Preston, Huddersfield, could well be Brizzie City, Forest, Pompey...some big teams there that are going to swell gates to where Crawley need them, Also Mcfazden will go in the summer for around £1m and that again is massive business for Crawley.

Its not all doom just yet chaps. I still think the future is bright for them.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
they would have a large catchment area if they were situated pretty well anywhere but exactly where they are - too far south for Londoners - too far north for the coast - too far west for the nouveux riche of kent and too far east for surrey old money

I think we are underestimating how much Crawleys support has grown in the last couple of years TBH.

Just as an example. This season, My brother in law who is a non going Palace fan has got a season ticket, the bloke next door a Hull fan? has got himself a half season ticket, and is enjoying it so much his going to get one next season, and a mate of mine and his dad both Chelsea fans have got a season ticket and are going to buy one next year! So in my little world in East grinstead I know 4 new season ticket holders and a couple who have been going for years, as they say "from little Acorns...."

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I think we are underestimating how much Crawleys support has grown in the last couple of years TBH.

Just as an example. This season, My brother in law who is a non going Palace fan has got a season ticket, the bloke next door a Hull fan? has got himself a half season ticket, and is enjoying it so much his going to get one next season, and a mate of mine and his dad both Chelsea fans have got a season ticket and are going to buy one next year! So in my little world in East grinstead I know 4 new season ticket holders and a couple who have been going for years, as they say "from little Acorns...."

Hard to underestimate actual bums on seats - as Chucky says while trying to be optimistic, IF they get promoted there will be more away fans to boost attendances.
First = big IF but shit or bust seems to be the fashion as financial management models go.
Second = relying on away fans for home revenue?

Not the most persuasive of arguments for me. They may survive. They certainly seem to be "on the cusp" paying big wages based on limited revenue and supporting a manager who clearly learnt the art of player trading from the immortal Barry Fry (older fans will know what I mean). Great when, as with Tubbs and Barnett, you sell some on at a big profit, but less so when you end up with a squad of highly paid turkeys the week after christmas! Time will tell but have they got time?

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
this thread started about the 2100 fans that made the game on Wednesday, I was going to go until i looked out side, it was tipping it down and I instantly made for the couch and radio for Brighton v Hull. I reckon a fair few others did that as well. Also Morecambe didnt even bring a coach down, and my dad said were less than 20, which does not help the gate.

They dont have big earners at the club now the big strikers are gone, the wages are not what people think. Also Im sure the next home game against Torquay will be back to around 3800, which is a great effort compared to where they were 2 years ago, it will take time to get it to where they need, but I think they will get there. and if they do go up, some of the sides in League one will bring along 1500 -2000 for the games, look at some of the sides, Sheff Wed, Preston, Huddersfield, could well be Brizzie City, Forest, Pompey...some big teams there that are going to swell gates to where Crawley need them, Also Mcfazden will go in the summer for around £1m and that again is massive business for Crawley.

Its not all doom just yet chaps. I still think the future is bright for them.

not that I really give a monkey's about Crawley, but if you're saying all these away fans will turn up if they get promoted, where are they going to put them all ?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
In 10 years time they'll either be non-existant or the Gatwick Jets.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here