Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crawley and chances of promotion to the Championship

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
It would take a third successive promotion (has anyone ever achieved that?) but now they have S'OD in charge with Coppell in the background and apparently some money to spend, is it that unrealistic to consider that they might have a half chance of getting promoted to the Championship next season?

That could make things interesting locally (provided we stay up).

I would love S'OD and Coppell at our club TBH.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Rotherham and Donny have been in the Championship for a couple of seasons each in the past decade so I wouldn't rule it out. Chances would be about 25/1 at best though surely?

Sitch

Jul 3, 2011
I'd rather Gus and Bloom to be honest....

It's possible, they've got enough money to have a top half side in League 1.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Their bubble will burst soon - they can't continue their upward momentum on their low crowds.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Their bubble will burst soon - they can't continue their upward momentum on their low crowds.

It will be interesting to see what the crowds are like next season but I don not think that they were that unreasonable for a League 2 team last year.

I do know that the Chairman/lady has been in the press before and more recently regarding inability to sustain a forward momentum without increased attendances.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
The big question for them is, will they be any more sustainable in L1? Last season they averaged 3,257 at home. I am no maths professor, but I doubt that got even close to matching their investment. I believe the capacity is 6k now but how many more fans will they get in L1 ?

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
It'd be quite fun to have a Sussex derby with them.

Flavor Flav

Get those trousers off!
Jul 5, 2008
West Sussex
The big question for them is, will they be any more sustainable in L1? Last season they averaged 3,257 at home. I am no maths professor, but I doubt that got even close to matching their investment. I believe the capacity is 6k now but how many more fans will they get in L1 ?

You are an utter moron to suggest that Crawley's investment has been substanial with no returns. You're forgetting Crawley have been to the FA Cup 5th round 2 years in a row with half the gate of a packed house at Old Trafford coming their way for one of the matches. They have also sold their 2 strikers for around £2 million in January. Last summer they also only signed one player at a fee, Tyrone Barnett for 200K. Steve Evans going to Rotherham would have also gained a lot of money through compensation. I doubt Crawley are making a lot of money but they for certain aren't reliant on their owners.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
I wonder how long it will be before they get a bigger ground. And I would love them to be in the same league as us. It would be nice to have a Sussex Derby.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
It would take a third successive promotion (has anyone ever achieved that?) but now they have S'OD in charge with Coppell in the background and apparently some money to spend, is it that unrealistic to consider that they might have a half chance of getting promoted to the Championship next season?

That could make things interesting locally (provided we stay up).

I would love S'OD and Coppell at our club TBH.
We'll be in the Premier League in 2013-14.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
You are an utter moron to suggest that Crawley's investment has been substanial with no returns. You're forgetting Crawley have been to the FA Cup 5th round 2 years in a row with half the gate of a packed house at Old Trafford coming their way for one of the matches. They have also sold their 2 strikers for around £2 million in January. Last summer they also only signed one player at a fee, Tyrone Barnett for 200K. Steve Evans going to Rotherham would have also gained a lot of money through compensation. I doubt Crawley are making a lot of money but they for certain aren't reliant on their owners.

That's a bit harsh. It's not even been 6 years since they were an hour away from liquidation, and only 13 years from the administration before that. They've paid a lot in transfers themselves, and been paying big wages for at least the last 2 seasons, if not 3. If you're going to call someone an 'utter moron' I'd suggest you post some outgoing figures as well as incoming if you want to make a proper point.

If you seriously think they're not reliant on their owners, you may well need a reality check.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here