Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crawley and chances of promotion to the Championship

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Chesterfield
It would take a third successive promotion (has anyone ever achieved that?)

Yeah, I think Northampton went from old Div 4 to Div 1 and back again in the sixties. And I think Swansea might have done in the 80's too.

Oh and Norwich did it last year.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Darlington, anyone?

I defend them alot of here but I'd have to agree with you here. If they are going to rebuild go for about 10k or 12k Keepmoat style build which can be expanded if needed.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Yeah, I think Northampton went from old Div 4 to Div 1 and back again in the sixties. And I think Swansea might have done in the 80's too.

Oh and Norwich did it last year.

Northampton spent 2 seasons in the 3rd division and 2 seasons in the second so no consecutive promotions for them
Swansea were promoted from the 4th and the 3rd divisions consecutively but spent 2 seasons in the 2nd
Norwich had 2 consecutive promotions from league 1 to the prem so no they didn't do it last year.

Wimbledon did exactly the same as Northampton and spent 2 years in div2, incidently ,they were promoted or relegated every season from 78/79 to 83/84

Last edited:

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Whether they can sustain themselves or not, I'd like to see them in the Championship with us, however I can't see it for at least 3 years and even then I'm sure that should be around the time we'll be sneaking into the Premiership.
I'd like to see an FA Cup tie next season though.

Flavor Flav

Get those trousers off!
Jul 5, 2008
West Sussex
That's a bit harsh. It's not even been 6 years since they were an hour away from liquidation, and only 13 years from the administration before that. They've paid a lot in transfers themselves, and been paying big wages for at least the last 2 seasons, if not 3. If you're going to call someone an 'utter moron' I'd suggest you post some outgoing figures as well as incoming if you want to make a proper point.

If you seriously think they're not reliant on their owners, you may well need a reality check.

The owners paid of the debt, granted. What other facts do you have that they pay big wages though? This is just what you believe its not true. I can't be bothered to trawl through the internet to find it but several players joining the club have mentioned that they have taken pay cuts to go to Crawley. For some reason players wanted to play for Evans. Evans even mentioned about how they car pool to matches to cut costs of a coach.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The owners paid of the debt, granted. What other facts do you have that they pay big wages though? This is just what you believe its not true. I can't be bothered to trawl through the internet to find it but several players joining the club have mentioned that they have taken pay cuts to go to Crawley. For some reason players wanted to play for Evans. Evans even mentioned about how they car pool to matches to cut costs of a coach.

So basically you called someone an utter moron and yet you actually have no factual information either? I think you maybe in a glass house...

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Chesterfield
Northampton spent 2 seasons in the 3rd division and 2 seasons in the second so no consecutive promotions for them
Swansea were promoted from the 4th and the 3rd divisions consecutively but spent 2 seasons in the 2nd
Norwich had 2 consecutive promotions from league 1 to the prem so no they didn't do it last year.

Wimbledon did exactly the same as Northampton and spent 2 years in div2, incidently ,they were promoted or relegated every season from 78/79 to 83/84

Nearly right on all of them.....damn!

Jan 12, 2012
With Coppell there as d o f , and O'Driscoll taking charge as manager, I think they'll do well this season. As someone as already said, they made plenty from the cup run, and took £2 mill in transfers last year,so they seem to have some financial clout. Now that arsehole of a manager has left, I'm sure Coppell will weed out the "problem" players, and have a good crack at it.
Why are some of you so dismissive of them?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I agree with a Nigel but you couldn't hope to have a better manager partnership at that level. I expect them to do very well.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Don't like Crawley, but they are the perfect example of why things need to realign in football.

We need to lose a load of these old northern mill-town type teams, and replace them with clubs from new towns like Milton Keynes and Crawley. The way some on here keep banging on about save ... .... then save ... ... makes me sick.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
I think they will be in the mix for promotion. League 1 is a pretty poor league. Crawley now have a very good manager and with Coppell helping out they can achieve what they like.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
I think they will be in the mix for promotion. League 1 is a pretty poor league. Crawley now have a very good manager and with Coppell helping out they can achieve what they like.

I agree with this, now sheff wed and Charlton are gone, I dont think it is very strong, full of basic league one sides that are just run of the mill sides, never be any good, but just good enought beat the drop. Pompey will struggle due to money, coventry will struggle due to money and I actually think crawley will have one of the biggest squads come next season due to the money they have banked in the last few years, they have cash, they have a good manager, they have a cracking chairman/lady, and are going balls out in the town to increase the fan base. Top 6 is well within there reach.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I still think it's lovely to see lower league Portsmouth on an equal footing with our no-mark north Sussex cousins. Crawley is probably their "derby" next season, along with Bournemouth. :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here