Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crash on Brighton seafront........

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
Did you know that, actually, for a short time (around the 18th century), it was known as 'Pentonville's Pier'. It was so called because a local businessman called William Pentonville attempted to lease the pier from the parish elders of the time for two months as he wanted to hold auditions for a play he was producing. He had read a book which claimed that actors perform well in waterside locations due to the calming influence that the fluid motion and sound of water evoked. He offered the elders two guineas for use of the pier but they declined saying that they were looking to sell the pier permanently and that they already had a buyer lined up (another businessman called Richard H Noble who later did buy the pier for seven pounds and a shetland pony).

The people of Brighton called it Pentonville's Pier from then on as the attempted purchase tickled their sense of humour.

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
Its called the Brighton Pier! What are you kids going to call it, "my daddy says its the palace pier" get real and move on.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
gvce26 said:
Its called the Brighton Pier! What are you kids going to call it, "my daddy says its the palace pier" get real and move on.

So? Countries and political parties with the word "Democratic" in their name tend to be nothing of the sort.

It was just a scam by the arsonists who own the Palace to undermine the West Pier before they burnt it down.

Just like the Albion belongs to the fans rather than the shareholders, the Palace Pier belongs to the town, not the crooks that own it and piss around with its real name.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Brighton Pier

No, Palace Pier

No, Brighton Pier

No, Palace Pier

No, Brighton Pier

Who gives a flying?

It's not a palace, it's a pier, and it's in Brighton. Therefore it's..

I don't care. What about the fecking accident? :angry:

D

Deleted User X18H

There is nothing wrong with coming from Worthing ............we had a domestic servant from Worthing once..................

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
whats the Worthing Pier called? Worthing Pier? Crystal Pier? ???

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Palace Pier! People who call it 'Brighton Pier' are either invading Londoners or people who want to suck up to thde invading Londoners. Also the Noble Organisation changed the name and so I'm automatically opposed.

Next they'll be changing the name of the Hungry Years .........

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
hove born&bred said:
All this local xenaphobia it does not matter where people live were born etc for goodness sake grow up some of you..................................:lolol:

blue gull said:
Talk about the kettle calling the pot black. WHAT'S YOUR USERNAME? As the great Micky Adams once said,
"You can piss off too!"

I think he missed the irony of your post HB&B

ShorehamGull

He's now back
Jul 6, 2003
Shoreham of course
Now look what I have started, I only mention that everything seems ok along the seafront now after the accident, whether it's the Palace Scum pier or the Super Brighton pier I don't care. All this just for the "Crash along Brighton Seafront thread":D

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
ShorehamGull said:
Now look what I have started, I only mention that everything seems ok along the seafront now after the accident, whether it's the Palace Scum pier or the Super Brighton pier I don't care. All this just for the "Crash along Brighton Seafront thread":D

dont you just LOVE NSC :D

good one gazwag :lolol:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
chip said:
Now Shoreham Airport, what name does that go by now?
cityairportlogo.jpg

Does that answer your question?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here