Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crap Crowd

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
After 12 years of being a STH, inc the Gillingham years, I have to say I’ve given up on Withdean and not renewed. I just can’t get any enthusiasm for the place and drive the 150mile round trip every other w/e. So I’m largely having an Albion gap year so’s to speak. Except for the City match (and anyone who would deny me that after all the years I’ve sat in the rain and driven up and down the motorways of England following us can frankly **** right off!). I’m going to a few more away games instead I’ve decided. As for improving Withdean, yes we have outstayed our welcome there. But the club could still do more to make it more bearable. I’ve written to them twice in recent seasons but never even had a reply. So **** ‘em in that respect. If they can’t be arsed to do a few non-cost improvements or even have the courtesy to reply then why should I bother. This was underlined when I was chatting to a Wigan fan at the weekend up in Cheshire and he was saying the P&R element to getting fans away after the game was a joke. It was nearly 7pm before they left Mill Road, and with such a long trip home, he said non of the Wigan fans would be back inc him (he also cited terrible stadium and prices but largely understood why – but felt our organisation was unacceptable, even in those circumstances)

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
After 12 years of being a STH, inc the Gillingham years, I have to say I’ve given up on Withdean and not renewed. I just can’t get any enthusiasm for the place and drive the 150mile round trip every other w/e. So I’m largely having an Albion gap year so’s to speak. Except for the City match (and anyone who would deny me that after all the years I’ve sat in the rain and driven up and down the motorways of England following us can frankly **** right off!). I’m going to a few more away games instead I’ve decided. As for improving Withdean, yes we have outstayed our welcome there. But the club could still do more to make it more bearable. I’ve written to them twice in recent seasons but never even had a reply. So **** ‘em in that respect. If they can’t be arsed to do a few non-cost improvements or even have the courtesy to reply then why should I bother. This was underlined when I was chatting to a Wigan fan at the weekend up in Cheshire and he was saying the P&R element to getting fans away after the game was a joke. It was nearly 7pm before they left Mill Road, and with such a long trip home, he said non of the Wigan fans would be back inc him (he also cited terrible stadium and prices but largely understood why – but felt our organisation was unacceptable, even in those circumstances)

i have agreat deal of sympathy with that view

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Me too. I've renewed again, but am splitting my ST now. The away games are the ones I look forward to the most, great atmosphere, banter and quite often, a better Albion performance. Funny, that, though - the team do need to be encouraged, they feed off the supporters. Man City will be interesting (I didn't know you were going to this, Portlock!), because the fans should hopefully be up for it. Let's hope the team respond in kind.

Withdean is no longer Fortress Withdean like in the old days. But we mustn't let it become our achilles heel. How can this be rectified? Answers on a postcard, please...

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Me too. I've renewed again, but am splitting my ST now. The away games are the ones I look forward to the most, great atmosphere, banter and quite often, a better Albion performance. Funny, that, though - the team do need to be encouraged, they feed off the supporters. Man City will be interesting (I didn't know you were going to this, Portlock!), because the fans should hopefully be up for it. Let's hope the team respond in kind.

Withdean is no longer Fortress Withdean like in the old days. But we mustn't let it become our achilles heel. How can this be rectified? Answers on a postcard, please...

the problem I have with away games is a few years ago, I used to go with BAG, but in the last few years, she has other commitments, therefore I have no-one really to go with ( Yes people have offered lifts etc and that is really gratefully received) but it is different.

I will be honest the only reason I go now is for the social side of it....the footy is really secondary

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Just as well Dave as the football really is secondary nowadays.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Just as well Dave as the football really is secondary nowadays.

are those seats next to you free as I am thinking of moving my ST to there.

where I sit is Chav central

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Dave there is a geezer at the end who used to smoke 40 fags during the game but apart from that the seats next to me are free, feel free to wnader over mate, I can't see Steward kicking you out but then again

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
1000 passionate Albion fans or 5000 moaners...

away days win everytime!
Yeah - why not put your money into every club in the division EXCEPT for the one you claim to support. And lend your ability to create an atmosphere to every ground EXCEPT ours. I know its expensive and I know its a shithole but we all know why we're there. It's not the fault of Knight, Adams or the players. The less money goes through the turnstiles, the less Adams has to spent and the less quality can go in the team, whether playing at home OR away.

Slough Seagull

Bye Bye Slough
Nov 23, 2006
Yeah - why not put your money into every club in the division EXCEPT for the one you claim to support. And lend your ability to create an atmosphere to every ground EXCEPT ours. I know its expensive and I know its a shithole but we all know why we're there. It's not the fault of Knight, Adams or the players. The less money goes through the turnstiles, the less Adams has to spent and the less quality can go in the team, whether playing at home OR away.

and where exactly did I say I never go to Withdean? I was there Saturday with my Dad who made a 800 mile round trip to see the club we CLAIM to support...

All I said is that the away day experience is much better...

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
and where exactly did I say I never go to Withdean? I was there Saturday with my Dad who made a 800 mile round trip to see the club we CLAIM to support...

All I said is that the away day experience is much better...
Fair do's. My gripe is with a significant minority on here who say how much they love the club, complain about lack of atmosphere at Withdean and then only ever go to away games. Your earlier post made me think you were another of those - my mistake but the point stands.

the problem I have with away games is a few years ago, I used to go with BAG, but in the last few years, she has other commitments, therefore I have no-one really to go with ( Yes people have offered lifts etc and that is really gratefully received) but it is different.

I will be honest the only reason I go now is for the social side of it....the footy is really secondary

Similar to me Dave, I used to go fairly regularly with our son, but he's now graduated from University and his job at Somerfield means he has to work some evenings and most weekends.
I had a "Billy No Mates" drive up to Walsall in March where I really felt like a sad old f****r, despite really enjoying the crowd banter (and us winning).
Was expecting Crewe to be much the same this season but I ended up giving a lift to some supporters I'd never met before and had a really good day out; fully re-charged the batteries after all the pre-season trauma and messiah adulation bollocks.
Unfortunately, the home league performances have really disappointed (you saw the best one) and with the MAnagement seemingly reluctant to accept any accountability/responsibility, I don't know if I'll bother to go along every week (home or away), certainly not if this shite continues.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here