Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crap Crowd

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
To me the round of applause sounded like people trying to make a point, and I just thought it was a bit silly. Though I do concede that he played well.

The atmposphere yesterday was probably the worst I can remember it at Withers. As soon as they scored the first goal it was silent, even though we were playing some decent stuff. The worst thing was there was a family of Mum, Dad and young son two rows in front of me who were clearly not regulars. When I thought they probably spent about £60 to get in to watch that kind of performance and experience that kind of funeral atmosphere I wanted to go and give them their money back myself. No wonder the kids all want to support Man United. Though I suppose if we won 4-1 there's a chance that kid would have been hooked for life, it's just luck of the draw.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Footballers, compared to most of us, are well paid. they are in the entertainment business and it's their job to entertain. They know when they are playing, if they are professional then they should be up for it and give their all from the 1st to last min. If they lose to a better side then so be it.

Their future is very much tied up in the club which depends on the paying punter. when there are special offer days, as against orient, or bad weather days as Scunthorpe, they should be even more determined to impress.

I don't believe people part with a fair chunk of money to sit in the wind & rain just to boo. no, they want to see a winning team but, more than that, they want to be thrilled & entertained.

In three home league games now, can the Albion team & management hold their heads up and honestly say they have delivered? Can they seriously moan at the fans for being quiet and can they really be surprised if some decide not to come again?

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
In three home league games now, can the Albion team & management hold their heads up and honestly say they have delivered? Can they seriously moan at the fans for being quiet and can they really be surprised if some decide not to come again?
no mate, no they cant

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I can honestly say it is bloody difficult to raise some enthusiasm and noise when it is raining, cold and you are losing after a few minutes and the price is 20 pounds upwards. I didnt boo or moan, in fact myself and the people around us were having a chat about our summer for most of the game. Booing is one thing but a lack of atmosphere I can fully understand.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
I think we've just outstayed our time at Withdean, The place has got to everybody. Listen to the difference in the crowd when we play away from home in a proper football ground.

nail.head :thumbsup:

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Assuming that comment is aimed at me amongst others - I have been to a great many games over nearly 30 years and this is the first game I have missed this season. I am making a point about the crowd at Withdean generally and not just at this specific game.

Put your own persecution complex aside and consider the point - would it help if the crowd got behind the team during the game? Does it hinder the team if the crowd moan and gripe for the whole match?

It's evident that I'm not the one with the persecution complex here. I really can't be arsed to get personal.

My point was that it is more important to have larger crowds contributing to the club's finances rather than lots of noise supposedly lifting the players. Of course whinging doesn't help the players but our small crowds - and you can't mention this without someone taking it personally - are a huge problem.

Yes. Withdean lacks atmosphere. Yes it is too expensive. But the problem of small attendances continues.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Withdean was meant to be for 3 seasons, 3 fecking seasons. I am taking my seat now for the 9th season, yes 9th season with 1 maybe 2 more seasons after this. There is no atmosphere, the food is gash, the toilets are gash, the refreshments are gash, you cannot have a fag even up by the trees, the stand is not covered, the football is dire, 3rd division football is universally crap, do we have ambitions to go up or tread water this season ?, the away view is actually scandalous and this has filtered down the clubs and a lot of away fans boycott Withdean meaning there is even less atmosphere and banter, we are living in a monsoon season with hurricane winds, its £ 25 a pop, the players at the moment don't seem to give a toss

Shall I go on ?.

As a point of order Gareth, its our 10th season at Withdean this season.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Why are you talking to yourself?

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
The club missed a trick buy not giving some priority for the Man City game, to people who went to Scunthorpe. Maybe something like. If you bought a ticket for Scunthorpe, you would get proirity for Man CIty ticket and a £5 discount?

The problem is that everytime we have managed to pull in a massive crowd the team ALWAYS dissappoint. The Millwall scarf day game, Forest at home last season and Bristol Rovers games all had deals for cheap tickets and generated a "big" crowd. But yet, every time the team failed to do anything inspiring and the "floating" supporters didnt return.

Away games are what supporting the Albion is all about, its where the fun is, its where you get a weird look off your non albion mates because you are going to a ridiculous town and back in a day, its where you come back barely able to speak because you lost your voice singing, its where you have the best days out watching the Albion.

As I said before watching Brighton at home is like a household chore, you just do it because you have to, even if you dont enjoy it

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Totally agree. It's become such a stale atmosphere at the Withdean because people are sick to death of sitting in the pissing rain and paying way over the odds for it. It does seem like a chor. Everyone just wants to be under a roof, dry and singing their heart out at Falmer. I for one look forward to an away game as a day out, that's a proper football match to me.

With regards to their forward being clapped off, I'd say he deserved it for the way he played. But a lot of people (me included) did it as a way of getting across to our players that if you played half as good as him, we'd show some appreciation. We were humiliated in that game, outclassed, outrun, outwitted, everything. Even at 4-1 they were still chasing us down like steam trains making us play stupid passes.

I really hope we learn from this result........

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
It's a black day when dyed in the wool Albion fans (including me) are coming on here saying they would rather go to away games - Falmer can't come soon enough.

Last edited by a moderator:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
that round of applause was embarassing. Wouldn't happen anywhere else.

Thierri Henri at Portsmouth
Ces Fabregas at Middlesborough

What is it with football fans who cant appreciate an outstanding performance on the field be it for or against us?

The bloke was brilliant on Saturday and most people saw that and applauded him when he came off. I have no problem showing appreciation of players efforts, be they for us or against us.

and I didnt clap him to "send a message" to our players, I clapped him because he played bloody well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here