Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Craig Maskell and Ashley Neale in last-minute double loan swoop

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Fragmented Badger said:
Maskell was playing at around the time I first started going to Albion games. I was only about 9 or 10, but he always looked a very decent player who scored a lot of goals by our standards. Never understood why he got criticism and wasn't really at all popular???

I thought we paid him and others off, as they were high earners and proving to be disruptive in the dressing room and not entirely committed to the cause. Along with McDonald and Mundee.

Last edited:

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
Fragmented Badger said:
Maskell was playing at around the time I first started going to Albion games. I was only about 9 or 10, but he always looked a very decent player who scored a lot of goals by our standards. Never understood why he got criticism and wasn't really at all popular???

I've never really understood it either, he was our top scorer in my second Albion season.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Fragmented Badger said:

1. Ex-Southampton
2. Apparently used to give it large at training and in the dressing room.
3. Greedy on the ball.

He apparently had a fit wife though.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Maskell scored 20 goals in 63 matches, yet still of course was slaughtered by the wise heads of NSC

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Fragmented Badger said:
1 - Do we really care about Southampton enough to dislike one of our own players?
2 - Ok, can't really excuse that
3 - Look at the quality of players who he had to pass to!

Fit wife = bonus points

For a guy who scored a goal every three games, and was our top scorer in the great escape season (including, if I remember rightly, a few winning goals), I think Albion fans were a little over critical.

True. I never gave him that much stick. I used to refer to him as a destitute man's Sheringham.

I seem to remember at the time there were a lot of ex-southampton players turning up on big wedge and not really looking like they gave a f^ck.

He was occasionally greedy on the ball when other players Storer, Reinelt etc were in goal scoring positions.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Maskell was quality - FACT.. to score 16 goals in such a crap team in the worst pro division in England is a hell of an effort. That said he was a bit slow.. :lolol:

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Neal on the other hand was the worst player EVER to wear the stripes.. even more than the kiddies at school who used to wear the stripes at PE who were rubbish at football..

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
He wasn't completely shit but the fact that he cost us £120 grand when we were homeless and penniless seemed to grate a bit. He was also a top wage earner at the time and for me he was another symptom of the be***tti and a***er regime.
As others have said, he was also quite lazy and does anyone remember him missing an open goal from 5 yards away to cambridge two weeks before we played hereford? That was shocking

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here