Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cracked Rib?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Might just be being a bit melodramatic here, but I think I may have cracked a rib last night. I came rushing out of goal to tackle someone, and he caught me in the ribs with his shoulder, as he went down.

There was no 'crack' or massive pain at the time, but an hour or so after the game it started to really hurt. I had a rubbish night, as everytime I shifted in my sleep it felt like someone was sticking a knife in. This morning it is pretty bad - trying to tie my laces or anything is a major pain-fest.

Probably just bruised, I guess, but its no fun, I tell thee.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Not much you can do about a cracked rib, as the treatment is the same if it is fractured or simply bruised, and to be honest the time it will take to heal is comparable (expect pain on exercise for tweo or three weeks. Certainly a trip to A&E will not really be needed unless you have difficulty in breathing.

Best thing is to take a non steroidal anti inflamatory (Voltarol, "Diclofenac") and try and remember that you still need to fully inflate the lungs -even if it hurts- regularly, otherwise you run the risk of a chest infection which you really don't want.

Get well soon.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
I cracked a rib in a mid week Sunday League game about 10 years ago. Player caught me with an elbow in the side as he ran past me, he went down and even got the free kick. I didn't feel anything at the time but as HKFC said about an hour after the game the pain kicked in. Was pretty painful everytime I moved, but just had to gut it out with painkillers. Was annoying that I had to miss a few games as the season was coming to an end and there was a player of the season trophy to win.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Cheers Mr Hillbilly - that's exactly what one of my team-mates told me this morning too.

I have taken some painkillers and they seem to be doing the job!

If I am careful not to prod too hard, I can feel all along the rib in question, and all seems to be as it should, except that it is very tender.

It really is probably just bruising - not that it makes it any less painful!

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I've not cracked a rib - but I have dislocated a few. ie popped them off my spine! and bloody nora does it hurt! Even breathing in become rather a pain! A couple of days later one of them seemed to have gone back in itself, but the other required the services of my friendly doctor, given I dislocate things rather regularly, he is quite adept and putting things back in their rightful order now...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Nothing yet today has caused me to laugh, but I can confirm that coughing is a very very bad thing.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
Might be worth a visit to the doctor...?

Are you seriously suggesting that a trained medical practitioner will be able to give me more sound advice then the random folk on an internet chat forum? Get real Mr Clown!

In all seriousness, I cannot face sitting around at the doctors or A&E for hours just to be told that "It might be bruised or might be a small crack, just rest it for a while". If I'm really lucky he'd give me a prescription for some painkillers that will make them 6 times more expensive than off the shelf at ASDA.

There is nothing they can do if it is cracked anyway, so I'll just grin [but not laugh!] and bear it.

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
Might be worth a visit to the doctor...?

waste of time. 3 hours in A&E to get less advice than contained on this most informative thread.

i've done this before playing footy too, the advice above is spot-on

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
"Oh no. I'm injured. What shall I do, go to the hospital or post my symptoms on NSC? Hmmmmmm........"

:jester:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Rangdo said:
"Oh no. I'm injured. What shall I do, go to the hospital or post my symptoms on NSC? Hmmmmmm........"

:jester:

More like 'oh no, I've taken a bit of a whack, and it hurts. Shall I be a blouse and take a whole day off work sitting with sick people in A&E, waiting to to see someone who will just tell me to rest, or shall I go in to work and get on with it, possibly asking a selection of people on here, many of whom play footy and will have suffered similar, what their observations / experiences were?'

I'm pretty comfortable with my decision - people's comments have more or less confirmed what I was already thinking.

If it turns out later that I have actually ruptured my spleen rather than bruising my ribs, then feel free to say "I told you so you clown"

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Last night was the first time I have played in goal for 15 years. Assuming it is no more than bruising, I aim to be back in the centre of defence come Sunday morning!

And you are so right about GPs and sports injuries;

'Hello, what seems to be the trouble?'

'My knee hurts whenever I run'

'Does it hurt when you walk?'

'No. Just when I run'

'Don't run. Next'

Last edited:

cheeseroll

Jul 5, 2003
Fragrant Harbour
Coughing is bad enough, so to prevent the pain you do a lot of little coughs which takes its toll but you just wait until you sneeze, absolutelty excruciating...

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
cheeseroll said:
Coughing is bad enough, so to prevent the pain you do a lot of little coughs which takes its toll but you just wait until you sneeze, absolutelty excruciating...

This is where being female has its advantages - my bra tends to "hold" me in when I sneezed when my ribs had dislocated - still painful but not as much as when I had my bra off... :lol: :blush:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
tedebear said:
This is where being female has its advantages - my bra tends to "hold" me in when I sneezed when my ribs had dislocated - still painful but not as much as when I had my bra off... :lol: :blush:

Less of that frisky talk tedebear. You'll be getting Les and the others all worked up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here