Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CPFC and money

Paul Skinback

Oct 3, 2009
Apologies if this is fixtures but is anyone able to explain to me how they are able to afford GM's wage demands, sign Kevin Phillips etc. on their meagre gates and with their financial track record. Is it simply down to the money they are getting for Zaha?

Is there a vice verser thread on The Holmedale Online? Didn't think so. Some of you have to grow up a little and worry about work, jobs and sustaining your own future instead of writing shit like this. Btw, us going bust was the fans fault, that's why people such as you blame us. f***ing idiot. Add me to your 'blocked list'.

We also don't pay extortionate wages to average foriegn/ex Prem' players. Little Johhny Williams who ran rings around you lot last year, wanted by Man City (if you believe the reports), £3k a week but then our good players always end up going upwards, generally for a decent heap of cash. It's called loyalty, not always about money. If Philips hasn't earned his money by now he certainly won't with us. Sometimes it's not what you know but who and he certainly has a friendship with Holloway. Speculate all you want, we have 4 fairly wealthy businessmen running the club now, a player system from academy to first team that's comfortable, no prima donnas and content in the stands.
When it does come to money, whatever the final sum was, let's say £9, we had between 10-20% of the profit (he was bought by Wigan from us for £2m) come to us and from an interview with Browett a while back there's a few players who have earned us money through sell on clauses. Nice, if you do know about these things.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Why make up lies Grimbo, it just makes you seem jealous and bitter. If we don't go up we are still in a good place financially, these new owners are the complete opposite to Jordan and Goldberg.

We all thought it was like that when Archer took over , CPFC2010 at one stage or another will want back what they've put in. It will be interesting to find out how much Palace have lost this season as it has been stated the wages budget was increased by £2M (Steve Parish on HOL radio back in Oct/Nov)

mcgoldrick

Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Eastbourne
I fail to understand the fascination with finances within football rivalries. Surely it MUST only be about the football, the players, the managers, the results, the leaugue position and head to heads?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Parish has been very clear on the desperate need for Palace to have this new stadium or the complete refurbishment of Selhurst, but he has never explained the financing of the project. To me it has always been a major PR job on his part and nothing else.

quite. i beleive Parish (and the other owners) has the best intentions for their club. however we know from our experience just how difficult it is to just find a site let alone gain permission and build a stadium. looking around South East london there are precious few spaces suitable (if they were, they'd be in the developers sights rather than Selhurst itself) and those they've called out are in another borough, hostile to a stadium. the likly solution is to redevelop where they are, but at what cost? is it suitable? will they get permission? how long will it take? important questions their fans should be asking, meanwhile theres a good chance the current stadium will be shut due to problems (i thought this was common knowledge, but apparently not - they may not be able to get insurance which will close or restrict the use. ironic when an owner is an insurer eh?). decrepit stadium, no real plan to fix it, no real alternatives to move to... starts to sound familiar.

OhSouthLondon

Mar 7, 2013
Just to add to the Palace takeover..
I think most Palace fans accept that if we do go up, it will be a short stay, 2 or 3 years max. Unfortunately in the prem, the only way to stay long term is to be bankrolled massively. Teams like Stoke are losing fortunes. I hope that if we do go up, we give it a go without burdening ourselves with a wage bill that completely shags us once the inevitable happens. Reckon our current owners are switched on enough to be sensible.
Don't know much about Bloom, other than he is loaded. If you lot make it up - cant see it this year, maybe next, is he going to get drawn into a fan inspired spendathon in an attempt to stay around but risk everything for the future?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Neither Palace or the Albion are likely to be profitable in forthcoming years. Even if promotion is achieved.

Any extra income is likely to go straight out as wages, it's a bit like pouring water into a sieve, and in the Premier League there is more water, and a bigger sieve.

TheFatBallBoy

Jan 10, 2010
Hove
just to add to the palace takeover..
I think most palace fans accept that if we do go up, it will be a short stay, 2 or 3 years max. Unfortunately in the prem, the only way to stay long term is to be bankrolled massively. Teams like stoke are losing fortunes. I hope that if we do go up, we give it a go without burdening ourselves with a wage bill that completely shags us once the inevitable happens. Reckon our current owners are switched on enough to be sensible.
Don't know much about bloom, other than he is loaded. If you lot make it up - cant see it this year, maybe next, is he going to get drawn into a fan inspired spendathon in an attempt to stay around but risk everything for the future?

should be interesting if qpr come down with an estimated 80 million a year wage bill???

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Just to add to the Palace takeover..
I think most Palace fans accept that if we do go up, it will be a short stay, 2 or 3 years max. Unfortunately in the prem, the only way to stay long term is to be bankrolled massively. Teams like Stoke are losing fortunes. I hope that if we do go up, we give it a go without burdening ourselves with a wage bill that completely shags us once the inevitable happens. Reckon our current owners are switched on enough to be sensible.
Don't know much about Bloom, other than he is loaded. If you lot make it up - cant see it this year, maybe next, is he going to get drawn into a fan inspired spendathon in an attempt to stay around but risk everything for the future?

As you said, you don't know much about Bloom. You should have left it there, as up to then your post was bordering on sensible. Then you turned into the normal Palace tw*t who talk out of their arse.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Neither Palace or the Albion are likely to be profitable in forthcoming years. Even if promotion is achieved.

Any extra income is likely to go straight out as wages, it's a bit like pouring water into a sieve, and in the Premier League there is more water, and a bigger sieve.

I agree with that el presidente. If we did go up I hope we don't go mad and I'm sure our owners won't . It's all ifs and butts really ATM .

OhSouthLondon

Mar 7, 2013
As you said, you don't know much about Bloom. You should have left it there, as up to then your post was bordering on sensible. Then you turned into the normal Palace tw*t who talk out of their arse.

Thought I was being quite polite! Asking which way you reckoned you would go if you went up? If your lot are anything like all other fans, there will be demands to get someone like Samba in on bag loads of wedge. I'll try again...

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Let’s all agree, then, shall we, that the English game is bust, that it inhabits the financial equivalent of Never Never Land, and that clubs like Albion and Palace will likely have to overreach themselves even to be competitive in the Premier League?

We all know that the FFP will make only a marginal difference, if any, to the game’s finances.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Let’s all agree, then, shall we, that the English game is bust, that it inhabits the financial equivalent of Never Never Land, and that clubs like Albion and Palace will likely have to overreach themselves even to be competitive in the Premier League?

We all know that the FFP will make only a marginal difference, if any, to the game’s finances.

I believe football clubs in the fore-seeable future face difficult times.......unless on the real 'gravy train' which is the Champions League.

For the rest, with Premiership ambitions it seems that a large fanbase, meaning not only increased gate receipts but also increased merchandise sales is absolutely essential to survive.

Another essential, would be having a large catchment area with little or no competition within a 15-20 mile radius.

Another is a stadium fit for purpose. 'New' fans will not be attracted in any great numbers to dilapidated stadiums with poor facilities.

Another.....a good Academy structure. Whilst producing good young players can help to balance the books, much of this kind of project is down to luck and who joins. You cant make a silk purse out of a sows ear....no matter how good the Academy is.

Brighton appear to be well on track in achieving these aims. Whether they succeed or not is in the future.

Those clubs without these important ingredients will almost certainly struggle.......unless of course they can attract some of those..'oh so loyal' foreign investors like Portsmouth and Blackburn have done so successfully..................not...!

FinchleyEagle

Nov 19, 2012
Wow there is a very real chance here of an interesting debate, including some actual knowledge breaking out here - it's getting away from the abuse at quite a pace.

Quick, one of the Palace lads call a Brighton lad a homosexual **** or something, because any moment now this thread is in danger of becoming enjoyable and informative !!

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean

Best post by anyone in ages

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
To me promotion means less games next season & not being able to thrash Brighton next year.

To me promotion means less games next season & not be able to thrash Palace next year :wink:

mcgoldrick

Banned
Mar 6, 2013
Eastbourne
I believe football clubs in the fore-seeable future face difficult times.......unless on the real 'gravy train' which is the Champions League.

For the rest, with Premiership ambitions it seems that a large fanbase, meaning not only increased gate receipts but also increased merchandise sales is absolutely essential to survive.

Another essential, would be having a large catchment area with little or no competition within a 15-20 mile radius.

Another is a stadium fit for purpose. 'New' fans will not be attracted in any great numbers to dilapidated stadiums with poor facilities.

Another.....a good Academy structure. Whilst producing good young players can help to balance the books, much of this kind of project is down to luck and who joins. You cant make a silk purse out of a sows ear....no matter how good the Academy is.

Brighton appear to be well on track in achieving these aims. Whether they succeed or not is in the future.

Those clubs without these important ingredients will almost certainly struggle.......unless of course they can attract some of those..'oh so loyal' foreign investors like Portsmouth and Blackburn have done so successfully..................not...!

So unless a club has the exact model as BHA then they will struggle? How incredibly convenient. Might I point you to an article from the BBC BBC Sport - Brighton Hove Albion: Paul Barber issues financial warning where a Mr Barber gives a warning on Brighton's finance model. I think Sweeney Todd is pretty close to the crux of it that we will all struggle to make it to the big(ger) time whilst watching the P&L sheet. The Crystal Palace academy for all the limits of the poor catchment area (?) has brought a lot of money in but has also provided savings in reducing the need for bringing in talent from elsewhere. Now also going for category 1 status this will only improve.

Both clubs have the potential to have a damn good go at it without breaking the bank. To say that Brighton are so much better placedre to do that than Palace is near sighted and quite frankly incorrect.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Both clubs have the potential to have a damn good go at it without breaking the bank. To say that Brighton are so much better placedre to do that than Palace is near sighted and quite frankly incorrect.

Well, you are indeed entitled to your opinion.

My post no.199 on this thread shows your club was in the Premiership......and then 'broke the bank'.....twice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here