Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Covid Passports *may* allow return to full Premier League crowds

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
His reaction was bluster. It's a shame I can't remember which conference it was. I remember the chap asking a detailed question and Johnson just fobbing him off with that and wanting to move onto the next one. I remember shouting at the screen (quite rare for me) in absolute annoyance about him just wanting to run away from the chap's concerns.

I’m not disbelieving you. Boris is often praised for his communication skills when they do seem pretty poor to me. In this case seems his default bluster mode caused him to fail to convey that the problem was recognized and other people were trying to solve it. As ever his political instincts are rubbish.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
It's not just a scan though: the season tickets are on the phone too, so you'd have to log out of the app and onto to Google Pay. It's only going to take about three seconds to do that but that will quickly mount up. Say one thousand people go through one automatic gate, that's 3,000 seconds - that's an 50 additional minutes to cope with. And that's assuming that the wireless network at the Amex can cope (and judging by the amount of time that there's no signal, that's highly doubtful)

The only way to do it is to tie double vaccination info to the ticket in advance

And what about those oldies who don't even have smart phones - quite a percentage of them in every crowd. I don't even have a smart phone and I'm in my 50's.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
There is a huge problem though in that when you go through the process of obtaining the QR vaccine passport from the NHS app it is only valid for a month.
So one obtained today is only valid until 24 August, so I can't see clubs taking all that extra admin, it will have to be a QR reader at gates or visual check.

I suppose it depends upon how automated the process of sending updated QR codes can become. If you just upload it to your profile in the ticket section of the website and that enables the ticket then who knows, it might be possible. Easy for me to say though.

Eagle Slayer

Jul 15, 2007
Worthing
Might be a fair few refunds to process, people purchased something without an additional set of rules added later

Club will probably say there is something in the small print so they wont have to refund and expect you to continue to pay for something even if you cant attend.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Mine has a QR code. Look under ‘domestic.’
Closing the NHS app takes 1 second. Just touch the home button at the bottom. Opening the ST takes 1 second. Just click Apple Wallet (or equivalent).

Thanks I've just found it the QR code.

It still takes 13 or 14 seconds to close the NHS app, open Google Pay and load the season ticket though.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
And what about those oldies who don't even have smart phones - quite a percentage of them in every crowd. I don't even have a smart phone and I'm in my 50's.

any system will have to accommodate those without phones. simple print off for the covid QR will suffice.

(and yes this is open to abuse, some will get codes from people vaccinated, could also sign up as someone else in the phone.)

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004

It is estimated nearly 90% of the adult population own a smartphone and for the kids without phones most parents will have no issues being able to work this

For those adults who do not have a smart phone the club have a provision of having a card but this is by exception only as obviously the club is moving towards working in the way that an increasing number of people in this country transact.

This is not unique to the Albion or football it has been happening in banking, shopping, travel and all manner of industries for years it’s the direction of travel

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

It still takes 13 or 14 seconds to close the NHS app, open Google Pay and load the season ticket though.

If I was in charge of logistics at the stadium, there would be Covid-App checking gates around the stadium NOT in the stadium where tickets are scanned. These would be located on the ramp up to the Uni, the south side where the car park is and on the strip to the station. Lots more extra staff needed but hopefully less queues.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
It is estimated nearly 90% of the adult population own a smartphone and for the kids without phones most parents will have no issues being able to work this

For those adults who do not have a smart phone the club have a provision of having a card but this is by exception only as obviously the club is moving towards working in the way that an increasing number of people in this country transact.

This is not unique to the Albion or football it has been happening in banking, shopping, travel and all manner of industries for years it’s the direction of travel
I think 90% is the percentage with a mobile phone, not a smartphone. I can find 84% for a smartphone.

https://www.finder.com/uk/mobile-internet-statistics

Besides. whether it's 5,000 of the regular fanbase or whether it's 3,000, it's still alot of people. Unless they are to be written off, any system needs to work for them too.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008

Or like 2 seconds using your phone's multi-tasking capabilities...

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I think 90% is the percentage with a mobile phone, not a smartphone. I can find 84% for a smartphone.

https://www.finder.com/uk/mobile-internet-statistics

Besides. whether it's 5,000 of the regular fanbase or whether it's 3,000, it's still alot of people. Unless they are to be written off, any system needs to work for them too.

I was referencing a Deloitte report who quote 90% but it is actually much higher in the under 54s

26dce3ba93aa1b7e4d313402e9741b7d.jpg

As those numbers show usage is growing in all age groups year on year so not hard to see why this is now going to become the norm for ticketing. Brighton will know the age range usage of their supporters and this decision would have been taken knowing it is a relatively small number adversely impacted (it’s not in their interest to do otherwise).

On your other point the club do have a system that works for all as the minority of supporters without access to a smartphone have a manual option so are catered for.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

On my iPhone it took less than 3 seconds. Whether it takes 3 or 14 though, I'm not sure it's an issue.

If this is the route we go down, and we're all speculating a bit right now, I don't think you'd be doing these two things immediately one after the other - each step will be separated. So there could be an initial check of Covid status and, when passed, you proceed towards the entrance gates. Whilst you are walking from the Covid check to the entrance gate, you'll then be getting your e-ticket ready.

We already have a 2-step entrance process, with a stewards pat-down (for adults, at least) happening before we proceed to the entrance gates.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
If I have understood correctly our season tickets will be available game by game. Shirley logically that's the place to do it, on issue of the ticket.

Sat at home, swearing profusely at the screen a week before the match has to be better for the vast majority rather than at the ground 15 mins before kick off :shrug:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
For the test games ID was checked against the ticket before the turnstiles….really no big deal at all. Possibly easier and quicker (safer) to have a screenshot of your Covid QRC (or a paper copy) rather than needing to switch between apps.

I haven’t been anywhere that scans the QRC yet (only had cursory glances that wouldn’t have matched it to my ID) - assume this will be brought in when it becomes a more pervasive requirement.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here