Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Covid Passports *may* allow return to full Premier League crowds

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
This effectively rules out taking nippers to games for the foreseeable future if double jab is a requirement..

I would have though u18s would be exempt from the requirement to be fully vaccinated as they are not part of the UK vaccination roll-out.

It will be adults who have been offered both doses but declined to be vaccinated for whatever reason that will be unable to attend games.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
I would have though u18s would be exempt from the requirement to be fully vaccinated as they are not part of the UK vaccination roll-out.

It will be adults who have been offered both doses but declined to be vaccinated for whatever reason that will be unable to attend games.

I would certainly hope that this the case, however the way this government flip flops and moves the goal posts hourly..who knows?

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Or like 2 seconds using your phone's multi-tasking capabilities...

This. I just checked and as long as you have logged in and opened the correct pages of each app it will take 2 seconds to flip between apps.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
This. I just checked and as long as you have logged in and opened the correct pages of each app it will take 2 seconds to flip between apps.

Big assumption that everyone will be well versed in multi tasking on a mobile. Given the high number of people who had previously not used apple wallet or google pay, I suspect that will be many who are unware of the skills required and will need to sign out and then sign in again on the different apps.

Then there is the discussion for the few that have been vaccinated overseas, loss of coverage etc.

I would expect a request to arrive as early as possible to ensure kick off is not delayed.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
For the test games ID was checked against the ticket before the turnstiles….really no big deal at all. Possibly easier and quicker (safer) to have a screenshot of your Covid QRC (or a paper copy) rather than needing to switch between apps.

I haven’t been anywhere that scans the QRC yet (only had cursory glances that wouldn’t have matched it to my ID) - assume this will be brought in when it becomes a more pervasive requirement.

Test games were a couple of thousand though, presumably with all lower tier turnstiles open and limited pre-match refreshment due to most arriving by car and generally being on time. Big difference when you’ve got 30,000 piling in during the 30 mins leading up to KO.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
You say it like it's actually going to happen.

There is absolutely no way that double jabs will ever be required in football in this country... or indeed for night clubs or any other entertainment event.

Covid passports are likely to be around for a bit, but I don't think they will last long either.

I think they may try and it might be practical for nightclubs. However, reports of those that went to Euro 2020 games at Wembley were that Covid passport checks were no more than a cursory check of a QR code (no scanning), and that’s if they were checked at all.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
You say it like it's actually going to happen.

There is absolutely no way that double jabs will ever be required in football in this country... or indeed for night clubs or any other entertainment event.

Covid passports are likely to be around for a bit, but I don't think they will last long either.

It may be reasonable to suggest that double jabbed requirement for football is unlikely. However there is absolutely no way you can be sure it won't happen.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Test games were a couple of thousand though, presumably with all lower tier turnstiles open and limited pre-match refreshment due to most arriving by car and generally being on time. Big difference when you’ve got 30,000 piling in during the 30 mins leading up to KO.

Man City was nearer 8k (so worst case it'd be 4x as many, but there will be loads more staff), and in the earlier games only the ESL was open. Have also been to games where ID has been checked and the stands completely full - it really isn't an issue.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
It’s a good question re away fans. If the vaccine passports are going to be uploaded in some way (or at least associated with) ST then presumably the away club can share this information with the home club at point of purchase. If it’s checks on the day then away fans get checked the same as home fans. We are planning to arrive early for games this season !

Personally I think the best way to do it is send in vaccination passport when you get a ST/Membership so it’s on account - that’s for all the football league as well

That way you don’t need any extra checks on the gate as the check was done at time of purchase.

That would also cover cup games a game that ticks over 20k

I’m not sure it will happen - I think it’s a giant bluff -

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Man City was nearer 8k (so worst case it'd be 4x as many, but there will be loads more staff), and in the earlier games only the ESL was open. Have also been to games where ID has been checked and the stands completely full - it really isn't an issue.

Of course. How could I have forgotten the City game?!!

I still remain sceptical that everyone’s ID will be checked beyond the first couple of home games other than maybe spot checks or if someone is being a ****. It’s not happened at away games apart from Palace, has it?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think they may try and it might be practical for nightclubs. However, reports of those that went to Euro 2020 games at Wembley were that Covid passport checks were no more than a cursory check of a QR code (no scanning), and that’s if they were checked at all.

....precisely this happened at The Open as well - I could have shown a screenshot of anyone's code (and it was 'checked' twice - for the P&R and to get in).

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Of course. How could I have forgotten the City game?!!

I still remain sceptical that everyone’s ID will be checked beyond the first couple of home games other than maybe spot checks or if someone is being a ****. It’s not happened at away games apart from Palace, has it?

I guess it depends on what the club are told to do - if ID checks are a condition of reopening with full crowds then they will (especially of there are inspectors around like there were for the earlier tests) - agree it'll probably soon drop to random spot checks at best. I can't recall where it was but I think it was at a (sold out) international cricket match I went to ID checks were being done.....

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Just checked that as well, download the QR code and no need to even log into NHS app

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Does it work equally well with your small children, your elderly relative who no longer has capacity to work a mobile phone, and your friend who doesn't have a phone at all?

Small children- the accompanying adult can help. I see families with young children on flights and they have all managed to have boarding cards scanned and ID checked, I don’t see what football should be any different.
Elderly relative no longer with capacity to use a phone - see above. If no accompanying adult I’m sure a stewards can help.
No phone - I presume there will be a paper back up for the small %age who don’t have the correct phone, or no phone.

In all cases arrive a little earlier to give sufficient time.

Next.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Small children- the accompanying adult can help. I see families with young children on flights and they have all managed to have boarding cards scanned and ID checked, I don’t see what football should be any different.
Elderly relative no longer with capacity to use a phone - see above. If no accompanying adult I’m sure a stewards can help.
No phone - I presume there will be a paper back up for the small %age who don’t have the correct phone, or no phone.

In all cases arrive a little earlier to give sufficient time.

Next.

That’s just so ****ing typical of you coming up with simple solutions to simple problems and denying people the opportunity for a good whinge about something.

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
I haven't read the whole thread but you can still catch and pass on the virus even if you have been double-jabbed. So the whole passport thing is a bit pointless.

The government are also talking about this coming into effect after the end of September, when the season is already six games old, so again a bit pointless.

The only way you are going to make the stadia virus-free is to have testing on the day, at the point of entry - and that will never happen.

So what's the point? It would be easier for the clubs to ask people to sign a disclaimer along the lines of 'I understand the issues and I'm entering at my own risk'

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That’s just so ****ing typical of you coming up with simple solutions to simple problems and denying people the opportunity for a good whinge about something.

So true.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I haven't read the whole thread but you can still catch and pass on the virus even if you have been double-jabbed. So the whole passport thing is a bit pointless.

No one is suggesting Covid passports will stop the spread. More that they will mitigate spread and symptoms should you catch it.

The government are also talking about this coming into effect after the end of September, when the season is already six games old, so again a bit pointless.

Agree, but that’s the Tories for you.

The only way you are going to make the stadia virus-free is to have testing on the day, at the point of entry - and that will never happen.

This will not guarantee a virus free stadium.

So what's the point? It would be easier for the clubs to ask people to sign a disclaimer along the lines of 'I understand the issues and I'm entering at my own risk'

See first response.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here