Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Country folk - HOW do you cope?

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
City dwellers more likely to suffer stress - Telegraph

City dwellers are more likely to suffer stress and anxiety than people who live in the countryside because their brains are wired differently, scientists claim.

Brain scans showed that participants living in urban areas recorded higher levels of stress response. The experience of growing up in a city also increases the risk of developing schizophrenia, regardless of where you live in your later years, because of physical differences in how the brain works, research suggests. While city life has previously been linked to anxiety and mood disorders, and the rate of schizophrenia is known to be higher in people born and brought up in cities, the findings are the first to show how specific brain structures are affected by urban life.

Researchers based in Germany asked 32 volunteers who lived and had been brought up in a variety of urban and rural areas to answer mathematical problems under time pressure. The difficulty of the questions was varied to ensure a low success rate, and researchers gave negative feedback throughout the test to simulate social stress. Brain scans showed that participants living in urban areas recorded higher levels of stress response in the amygdala, an area of the brain linked to anxiety disorders, depression and other types of behaviour associated with city life, such as violence.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Why not organise an orgy or two, no problem with neighbours or privacy you could even get some alpacas in to add a bit of spice?

Bulldog

Sep 25, 2010
I live in the middle of the city and i love it. The beach, station, lanes, Nort laines, Churchill Sq, even some of kemptowns better pubs are all in 10 or 15 mins walk from my front door. 24 hour shops and offies, theatreland, more resteraunts and takeaways than you can shake a stick at, yet i rarely have trouble parking with a residents permit and i dont recall the last time i was woken up by any noise from inside or outside the building.

I fear that if i lived in the sticks i would just fade away, i seem to need the buzz and bustle of the city. When ever i go away to somewhere quieter i just need to get off the train at Brighton and feel the energy, yes, and step over the drunks and avoid the beggers, but thats all part of it. i feel energised when i get back, the hustle and bustle enlivens me and I feel at home again.

Like Lord b, i dont fancy the suburbs, i lived near london road station for a while and while it's a nice enough part of town it just wasnt for me.

I would never run the countryside down, everyone too their own. if you like it, then good for you, but i'm a city boy and i cant see that ever changing.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I don't think it's fair to have to pay VAT on an Alpaca. After all you don't pay VAT on cakes, books or children's clothes because they're considered ESSENTIALS rather than LUXURIES. Shirley the same is true of an Alpaca

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Jul 20, 2003
I live in Hove and masturbate

I don't need broadband

I have memories

The country is fine

Most of the pubs around here have re-branded to the extent that they might as well have closed down anyway

yawn

shake

mop

wash

sleep

Jul 20, 2003
Animal_32664_1.jpg

missed out

could have had that for £15K

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here