Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Could this be the most pointless letter to the Argus EVER?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
You may not think much of Reg Moores' views on this subject, but he is a bit of a legend locally.

He invented the wireless microphone (for an ice-show at the old SS Brighton - see Guinness Book of Records), has lectured all over the world on nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy, and has been seen on TV several times either showing off with Star Wars light sabres (no batteries or wires), climbing unsupported rope ladders, or whistling two tunes at once!

When my mum worked at the Co-op TV repairs department, he was always in on the scrounge looking for components to furnish his inventions.

The world would be much less interesting without people like Reg Moores, so forgive him on this one if you don't think much of his letter.

You see ........................ dont jump to conclusions. People are not always what they seem. Did you know that Bar man Mars or whatever he is called on here is in fact a Professor at Oxford ?

Pigsy

Jul 14, 2004
NOSTALGIC comment about the photograph sent in by Mike Matsell (Journal, Jan 4) showing a retirement party for Bert `Peggy` Neals and Arthur 'Twink' Starr who both were colleagues of mine at the Post Office when I joined following more than five years RAF service in the Second World War.
In our day, recruitment to the Post Office was mostly by former Armed service, thus we were well used to following a disciplined way of work.

'Peggy' surprised everybody when he married, late in life, his bride being a doctors` receptionist. Arthur could be found most Saturday nights enjoying a pint in the British Legion.

When on night duty, a number of policemen would enter the sorting-office for a chat and I recall one telling the tale of his being trapped inside a public house in Westgate on a busy Saturday market day, when he was alerted by a customer just arrived, that the sergeant was outside.
Exit the copper via a rear window of the pub so to 'make a point' with his sergeant.

For chaps of my advanced years, memories such as these re-awaken the days of our youth although I have to say that those days were more relaxed than today.
Bert Greaves
Leven

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here