Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Could the Martinez to Villa situation affect us?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
People don't go to Wigan,
But if you did, it would be for the pier
Or maybe the Rugby
It wouldn't be for football

My Wigan call would be Chris Hughton

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
Gus won't go to Wigan, If the Russians invaded tomorrow they wouldn't want to go to Wigan.

the only good thing to come out of Wigan is the M6 and I'm not sure that's good.

Martinez will stay there anyway.

Gus will stay, he knows when he's got something good on the go. I appreciate he left Leeds to go to Spurs but to leave Brighton now to go to Wigan really isn't anywhere near the same.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Why would Gus want to go anywhere other than his beloved Chelsea or any of the other top 4 English clubs? I imagine Bennett is having 2nd thoughts, irrespective of the money. These are f***ing exciting times at the Albion from the Chairman right down to the exiled can't get to Falmer fan in some remote New Zealand outpost :thumbsup:

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I dont think he'd go there etha, but as he was mentioned I thought it was worth throwing it out there.

I do think the Lambert prospect is interesting, I know its highly unlikely, but if it were to happen we would likely keep EB which would be awesome.

Maybe Lambert to Villa?

We can dream.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The ONLY way in which we will be affected by Villa's new choice of manager, is whether they choose somebody who Gus, knows and gets on with, and can tap up for decent loans.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Martinez is STAYING at Wigan.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
I dont think he'd go there etha, but as he was mentioned I thought it was worth throwing it out there.

I do think the Lambert prospect is interesting, I know its highly unlikely, but if it were to happen we would likely keep EB which would be awesome.

Maybe Lambert to Villa?

We can dream.
If you were Lambert would you go from Norwich to Wigan? It would have to be for a stupid amount of money because I can't see any other reason why he'd go there.

Martinez is STAYING at Wigan.

BBC

Wigan manager Roberto Martinez has turned down the chance to manage fellow Premier League club Aston Villa.

Instead of joining Villa, 37-year-old Martinez has opted to take up an improved contract with the Latics.

"Roberto met with his chairman earlier this week and he has made the decision to honour his commitment to Wigan," read a Villa statement.

"Therefore, we have not met Roberto and we have not had the chance to discuss the vacant managerial role with him."

More to follow.

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
Still no official announcement. 1 paper says he is erring on side of staying with Wigan.

Just looked at odds and most have Martinez on about 2 or 3 to 1.

Bet365 have him just gone 50-1, for a yes or no decision. He must have said NO even though its not published yet.

Or them are crazy odds

http://www.bet365.com/instantbet/default.asp?participantid=190753450&affiliatecode=odc10&odds=10/1&instantbet=1

BBC Sport - Roberto Martinez rejects Aston Villa managerial role

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
You heard it here first.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Will they now come after Poyet? Guardian article - Villa said:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jun/10/roberto-martinez-aston-villa-wigan

"Roberto's qualities as a young and aspirational manager ensured him of a position high on our short list of potential new managers"

you could replace Roberto with Gus and that statement would read correct.

Lets hope that 1 season winning league 1 is still not deemed enough experience to jump to a club of Villas size.

I would think if thats the type of guy they want they may try, Brendon Rogers or Paul Lambert first?

Keep your randy hands off Gus Randy

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Will they now come after Poyet? Guardian article - Villa said:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jun/10/roberto-martinez-aston-villa-wigan

"Roberto's qualities as a young and aspirational manager ensured him of a position high on our short list of potential new managers"

you could replace Roberto with Gus and that statement would read correct.

Lets hope that 1 season winning league 1 is still not deemed enough experience to jump to a club of Villas size.

I would think if thats the type of guy they want they may try, Brendon Rogers or Paul Lambert first?

Keep your randy hands off Gus Randy

No. Poyet has just won Division 3 - hardly an achievement worthy of getting him the job at one of the top ten (IMHO) clubs in the country.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
No. Poyet has just won Division 3 - hardly an achievement worthy of getting him the job at one of the top ten (IMHO) clubs in the country.

It's not just your opinion, it is the opinion of the Premier League.

Expect Mark Hughes to be confirmed as Villa manager as early as Monday of next week. You have not been charged for this information.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have said this many times I dont think that Gus will go anywhere but if he was to be tempted I would think that Villa would be the type of club that could tempt him, just outside of the elite, capable of improving to reach the elite, reasonably wealthy chairman prepared to back him, good support and the potential for improving the club completely.

BBC

Wigan manager Roberto Martinez has turned down the chance to manage fellow Premier League club Aston Villa.

Instead of joining Villa, 37-year-old Martinez has opted to take up an improved contract with the Latics.

"Roberto met with his chairman earlier this week and he has made the decision to honour his commitment to Wigan," read a Villa statement.

"Therefore, we have not met Roberto and we have not had the chance to discuss the vacant managerial role with him."

More to follow.

I find this bizarre in the extreme. I know that Martinez likes Wigan, having spent time there as a player as well as manager, but they are a small club punching above their weight; surely next season will simply be another relegation battle? Whereas Villa are a genuinely big club with potential to improve and the promise of a bit of money to spend on the squad (assuming that Young and possibly Downing leave).

If Martinez goes to Villa, the following have been touted as replacements:

Roberto Di Matteo
Ian Holloway of Blackpool
Paul Lambert of Norwich
Lee Clark of Huddersfield
Dave Jones
Brian McDermott of Reading
Malky Mackay of Watford
Gus Poyet of Brighton

Could Wigan attract Gus?

I'd like to see Lambert go to Wigan asap, which would put a halt on the Bennett transfer but I cant see him leaving tbh.

Thoughts?

Please stop the wheels from grinding in that head, this stuff is duller than dishwater - and all you can do is make yourself neurotic.
In other words, get a life.

I find this bizarre in the extreme. I know that Martinez likes Wigan, having spent time there as a player as well as manager, but they are a small club punching above their weight; surely next season will simply be another relegation battle? Whereas Villa are a genuinely big club with potential to improve and the promise of a bit of money to spend on the squad (assuming that Young and possibly Downing leave).

Bizarre that a manager has affinity with his club and stays?
Sign of the times I suppose.

So, we get one shivering in fear of losing Gus, and another thinks it weird when a manager stands by his club.

Exciting times!

:shootself

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here