Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Could the decision to let Murray leave be the costliest mistake in English footy history?

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
The maths is simple given the outrageous amount of prem money that is up for grabs in 2013 and the relatively small outlay for Murray's wages. I have no doubt that a Macca/Murray partnership up front would have got us promoted this year.

Therefore, I put it to you, in real terms, was the decision to let Glen Murray leave end up being one of the costliest mis-judgements in English football history?

jemwillett

Feb 17, 2012
Burgess Hill
The maths is simple given the outrageous amount of prem money that is up for grabs in 2013 and the relatively small outlay for Murray's wages. I have no doubt that a Macca/Murray partnership up front would have got us promoted this year.

Therefore, I put it to you, in real terms, was the decision to let Glen Murray leave end up being one of the costliest mis-judgements in English football history?

No.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
You could argue that Murray was not suited to Gus and vice versa. The way he is banging them in at palace with the fast wingers they have is NOT what he was producing for us. I remember when Murray first signed the amount of times Withdean was screaming at him to shoooot when he seemed to want to play tippy tippy through defences...he looks like a different player now. He was always a diver but has got that side of his game spot on and he is playing in a great team with brilliant pace and attitude.

He was patently too good for us. And good luck to him. Judas.

brighton rock

Jul 5, 2003
lancing
Every time he gets near the goal he looks like he's going to score, highest scorer in all the leagues with 20 goals before Xmas
But I like his inter play and hold up play there's not many better than him at it at the moment
A bargain for nothing

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
its certainly one of tiredest questions, which ignores the type of football they are playing at Palace compared to here, and overlooks that 7 months ago the question wasnt relevent. please stop.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Every time he gets near the goal he looks like he's going to score, highest scorer in all the leagues with 20 goals before Xmas
But I like his inter play and hold up play there's not many better than him at it at the moment
A bargain for nothing

This

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

No. But its probably up there with albion not signing Ian Wright or Roy Keane either. Both of which we didnt which you could say was also stupid.

What I do think is its certainly Gus BIGGEST mistake.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Once more for the hard of thinking.

FFS is doing the business because he is playing in an attacking team with 2 wingers, planting the ball on his head.
(Point to the person who has said FFS can't head the ball)

Had he stayed he would be have been left marooned from the midfield with 1 non crossing winger for occasional company.

On top of that he'd have all the baggage of the 4 previous seasons of 'terrace grief' to deal will.

So no.

The better question would be:-

Could the decision to let Gus manage be the costliest mistake in English footy history?
To which the answer is obviously NO, as well.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean

Nowhere near. Pompey spending ridiculous money on wages and ending up in division 1, the guy at Rangers who come up with the tax plan, Accrington Stanley, Chester, Newport, Rushden and diamonds.......

Fernando Torres

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
In Albion terms yes.
We were about to become cash rich (5x the turnover), but Gus made it his mission NOT to award a £143k annual rise to Glenn.
Which would have given him a pay level far less than the likes of Bruno, CMS, Bridge, Vicente, et seq.

A few on here now say they never liked him anyway, but to most at Withdean, Glenn was adored. A class act.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The decision to read this thread could be costly to my sanity!

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
We may as well discuss letting Dean Saunders go - it is about as relevant. Or Peter Ward. Or Michael Robinson blah blah blah blah.

Where are all the threads discussing this last season? Or was he crap last year?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here