Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Could a FANZINE still 'do a job'?

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Soul Finger said:

Are there any young and enthusiastic supproters out there who want to give it a go?

Fairly sure there's a lot of people who would contribute articles....the 'North Stand Chat' fanzine a few years back proves that.

I doubt very much that anyone would be bothered with the printing and such. Lots of people involved with fanzines have said they stopped because of how much work was involved.

Still, interesting to see what people think of the idea anyhow.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
desprateseagull said:
i dont think its viable to edit and print up nowadays, what with more and more people on t'net..

Hmm, maybe a fans website might be an idea (with articles and stuff, not just discussion).

I'm suprised there aren't many out there really - the ones there are (e.g Rivals) aren't really updated that much.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I think people would read it. There are still plenty of people who don't use any of the albion fansites. Plua it's something to read at halftime, on the bus/train home etc.

And one HUGE advantage it would have over NSC is that it wouldn't be page after page of shite debate on kuipers/henderson/mcghee/leon knight etc etc.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
garry nelsons left foot said:
I think people would read it. There are still plenty of people who don't use any of the albion fansites. Plua it's something to read at halftime, on the bus/train home etc.

And one HUGE advantage it would have over NSC is that it wouldn't be page after page of shite debate on kuipers/henderson/mcghee/leon knight etc etc.

To be honest, so do i. Even if it was just the '16 page £1' thing that was suggested.

Oh well, doesn't look like it'll ever happen!

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
garry nelsons left foot said:

Exactly, the advantage is articles.

Most of the ramblings on here don't constitute articles, just, er, ramblings.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
The Leeds fanzine definitely still 'does a job'.

It's £1.50 a pop and seems very popular still, despite on line forums, matchday programmes and whatnot.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Starry said:
The Leeds fanzine definitely still 'does a job'.

It's £1.50 a pop and seems very popular still, despite on line forums, matchday programmes and whatnot.

The crowd is much bigger though i suppose.

How long is it, out of interest?

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Withdean Wanderer said:
The crowd is much bigger though i suppose.

How long is it, out of interest?

Uhm. I had to go dig one out!

This one is 30 pages. I think it varies between 28-32 pages though.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I miss the fanzine, used to be essential reading at the goldstone and i was under 10. Think we need something

H block

Jul 10, 2003
Worthing
Man of Harveys said:
Fanzines have had their day. NSC is the new fanzine.

Have to agree there. In the days of Gulls Eye the fans needed a voice and thats why it had such an impact though looking back it really was very raw but maybe that was its appeal.
Nowadays views can be expressed on here and campaigns can be organised through the same channel.
This is without doubt the broadest church in existence.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Funny thread, cos I was having my quarterly "wouldn't it be nice to do a fanzine again" thought bubble last night.

I would be up for doing it. And I think it would work (to an extent, although I wouldn't sell it apart from restocking issues in the club shop, so it would be on a small scale if others weren't up for getting more involved.)

Then I realised what a vast amount of shit I have to sort out in my own life before I could ever be stable enough to do it. But all power to anyone's arm who fancies giving it a crack - count me in if required.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Titanic said:
What happened to 'Come over the Dyke' ??

It failed to meet one of the keys to a good fanzine: Be funny!

There were some nice colour photos though..................

:lolol:

So it sounds as if that...

Most people would buy a fanzine if it was affordable...but they don't think there is as much to be got out of them as there used to be.

and

People would assist...but not actually 'run' the fanzine...

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
One F in Falmer was a lot of work and a huge amount of credit goes to Roz for her technical expertise!

We were considering a second issue a year ago to coincide with what was supposed to be the ‘final decision’. I think everyone was just too busy at the time to actually get on with it and make it happen.

It’s something I’ve thought about though and I have a few people I know would make good interviewees. I’ve even considered doing an NSC article/interview or Live Chat that could be stuck at the top of the forum.

I’d like too have a go at another at some point – but its not just down to me - It’s hard enough finding the time myself – you then need others to find the time to help too.

They are still worth doing, many clubs have them still, enjoyed reading Crewe's when I went there. Someone at my work raves about Millwall's.

I think they would still sell OK. The success of NSC has made people a bit lazy though, that's the only barrier, why put all the effort in when you reach a pretty large and influential audience with a post on here. Good luck to whoever overcomes that though.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
desprateseagull said:
how about a printout of NSC, for those without computers?

:lolol:

With Family Fortunes on the cover?

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
There was a school of thought that the Goldstone saga probably extended the life of Gulls Eye by around two years.
In April 1995 Mrs H produced Harty junior and Mr Kennard was all loved up with what turned out to be almost Mrs K mk one, that's another story, we were up to just over 80 issues after 7 years and our lives were beginning to change direction from the 'inky pamphleteers' John Vinicombe once dubbed us. Then the phone rang at work in late June of 1995 and Gordon Lucking delivered the shocking news about the Goldstone and as they say the rest is history.
Pre internet running a fanzine was bloody hard work, and with this excellent forum now in place and the club programme and dare I say it the SCR phone-in I don't think it would have the same impact.
In the two last seasons at the Goldstone Gulls Eye used to have a 2,000 print run and we would virtually sell out every week, the last issue, No 100. was a 3,000 run and sold out in under 45 minutes.
Sadly those days are gone and what's even sadder perhaps for the fans of the Albion is that the support is crying out for an indenpendent voice akin to the likes of Billy Watson and Lenny Rider.
But even more sadder than that is that I've got insomnia, thank god for NSC!!!!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here