Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Couch to 5k... Worth a go!

HalifaxSeagull

Aug 24, 2010
OT I know, but....

I've recently completed the NHS couch to 5k podcast program.

Couch to 5K - Live Well - NHS Choices

I was totally unfit and over the last 9 weeks I've followed the program and have run just over 5k in less than 30 minutes (this morning)

If anyone out there is contemplating taking up running, I'd seriously suggest having a look at it, it builds you up just at the right pace and keeps you motivated to keep pushing on each week until you get to the 5k mark. It is based upon 3 periods of exercise per week, combing walking with running. As you progress the walking decreases and running increases...

Now, all I need to do is knock the booze on the head and the 6 pack / celebrity wife will surely follow!

Anyone else tried it, or any follow on packages. I'd like to get up to 10k runs at some point.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
For some reason I read this title as being about us signing Peter Crouch for £5k.

Edit. Well done by the way!

HalifaxSeagull

Aug 24, 2010
Now he'd add another dimension to our attacks... To be fair to him he can play on the deck, even though he sometimes looks like bambi on ice! Top bird too...

Cheers, I'm now scouring the net for some sort of 5k or possibly 5 mile 'fun' run!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Have a look at one of the running magazines out there, they often have articles or programmes for new runners. Plus they'll probably spike your interest in a new challenge.

I'm (somehow) down for my second marathon in April, but have found it somewhat difficult to get off my backside & get out running even short distances lately. I found a running magazine with a plan to get up to half marathon distance in 8 weeks that looks pretty do-able so I've just got back in from my first run for that (day 1!).

It's not like I actually need to be able to run 13 miles in 8 weeks time, but it's a good structured plan that hopefully I'll stick to.

Well done, by the way :thumbsup:

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
OT I know, but....

I was totally unfit and over the last 9 weeks I've followed the program and have run just over 5k in less than 30 minutes (this morning)

If anyone out there is contemplating taking up running, I'd seriously suggest having a look at it, it builds you up just at the right pace and keeps you motivated to keep pushing on each week until you get to the 5k mark. It is based upon 3 periods of exercise per week, combing walking with running. As you progress the walking decreases and running increases...

Now, all I need to do is knock the booze on the head and the 6 pack / celebrity wife will surely follow!

Anyone else tried it, or any follow on packages. I'd like to get up to 10k runs at some point.

Just started doing that, week 2 commenced at dawn today!

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I haven't done it myself but from talking to other people that have, it sounds excellent and it works.

I've been in a slump with any kind of exercise over the last year and a bit but in the last month completely cleaned up my diet (basically removed all the carbs, bread etc and stopped having a lager everynight) and started swimming 3 times a week and going for hour walks every other day and completely changed the way my body was heading (downhill fast) to the point where I don't think I've looked trimmer. Feels good. Even when I was running and doing some lifting I always ate and drank too much leaving me with a gutt but cleaning my diet up has been the main factor.

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003
Yes it got me going too. A great way to ease yourself into it.
I started just over a year ago when I took part in the NSC Falmer fat challenge or whatever it was called.
I don't run as often as I'd like as I'm a busy man, but always at least once a week and I'm now 3 stone lighter than I was a year ago.
A good next step I'd recommend is the Park Run in Hove Park every Saturday morning. It's 5k and is technically a race I guess, but it's very informal and you just compete whenever you like.
You'll find you push yourself to beat the fat bloke/old woman/supporter of another team etc in front of you and your time is published online with PBs etc.
I've now done up to 13 miles but hope to do a marathon by the end of the year.
Slowly slowly they all say is the best way to build up.
There's a running thread on here somewhere which will no doubt help you.
Good luck. Keep it up and I hope to see you in Hove Park soon !

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
Results...?

Fitness-Before-And-After-Pictures4.jpg

Ps Crouch would be an amazing signing!

HalifaxSeagull

Aug 24, 2010
Cheers all, will defiantly keep it up. May even contemplate a bit of 5-a-side too in due course.

Wonder if we can get the Peter Crouch rumour on footy rumours?!

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
OT I know, but....

Hmmm - I don't really want the podcasts, I just want to know what the program is. I couldn't see it there (I know there are plenty of others around).

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Hmmm - I don't really want the podcasts, I just want to know what the program is. I couldn't see it there (I know there are plenty of others around).

They have a brief description of it there... or here now:

A week-by-week description of the nine-week Couch to 5K podcasts.
Week one

Begin with a brisk 5-minute walk, then alternate 60 seconds of running and 90 seconds of walking, for a total of 20 minutes.
Week two

Begin with brisk 5-minute walk then alternate 90 seconds of running with 2 minutes of walking, for a total of 20 minutes.
Week three

Begin with brisk 5-minute walk then two repetitions of 90 seconds of running, 90 seconds of walking, 3 minutes of running, 3 minutes of walking.
Week four

Begin with a brisk 5-minute walk then 3 minutes of running, 90 seconds walking, 5 minutes running, 2½ minutes walking, 3 minutes running, 90 seconds walking, 5 minutes running.

Download the Couch to 5K podcasts
Watch Laura St Quinton talk about starting C25K

Week five

There are three different workouts for this week. They are as follows:

Workout 1: brisk 5-minute walk, then 5 minutes running, 3 minutes walking, 5 minutes running, 3 minutes walking, 5 minutes running.

Workout 2: brisk 5-minute walk, then 8 minutes running, 5 minutes walking, 8 minutes running.

Workout 3: brisk 5-minute walk, then 20 minutes running, with no walking.
Week six

There are three different workouts for this week. They are as follows:

Workout 1 brisk 5-minute walk, then 5 minutes running, 3 minutes walking, 8 minutes running, 3 minutes walking, 5 minutes running.

Workout 2: brisk 5-minute walk, then 10 minutes running, 3 minutes walking, 10 minutes running.

Workout 3: brisk 5-minute walk, then 25 minutes with no walking.
Week seven

Begin with a brisk 5-minute walk then 25 minutes of running.
Week eight

Begin with a brisk 5-minute walk then 28 minutes running.
Week nine

Begin with a brisk 5-minute walk then 30 minutes running.
Tips on progression

The programme is designed for beginners to gradually build up their running ability to be able to run 5K without stopping.

The pace of the nine-week running plan has been tried and tested by thousands of new runners, so you can trust the programme.

You can, however, repeat any one of the weeks until you feel physically ready to move on to the next podcast.

Structure is important for motivation, so try to allocate specific days in the week for your runs and stick to them.

Rest days are critical. A rest day in between each run will reduce your chance of injury and will also make you a stronger, better runner.

Resting allows your joints to recover from what is a high-impact exercise and your running muscles to repair and strengthen.

Some new runners starting the programme experience calf pain or sore shins (sometimes known as shin splints).

Such aches can be caused by running on hard surfaces or by running in shoes that do not have enough foot and ankle support.

Always do the the 5-minute warm-up walks as instructed in the podcasts before each run and check that your running shoes are offering good support.

You will have good runs and bad runs. Accept it and don’t spend too much time analysing the how and why. Even a bad run is good for you.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Cracking stuff - I did similar a while back and am now running 7-9kms a couple of times a week. Just add a bit more each time, simple as that really. I can run distances now (and barely break a sweat) that I couldn't dream about even attempting a year back.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Sounds rather like another the walk to run variant. Well worth doing if you want to be able to run. I can also recommend doing the Park Run when you are up to it - they have events all over the UK (and the World) and it is a great motivation to get up on a Saturday morning - or if like me you have a toddler it is a good opportunity to get the whole family out of the house and into some fresh air for half an hour or so (one parent runs, the other marshalls/babysits)!

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Sounds rather like another the walk to run variant. Well worth doing if you want to be able to run. I can also recommend doing the Park Run when you are up to it - they have events all over the UK (and the World) and it is a great motivation to get up on a Saturday morning - or if like me you have a toddler it is a good opportunity to get the whole family out of the house and into some fresh air for half an hour or so (one parent runs, the other marshalls/babysits)!

Hove Park every Sat for a 5k, if I recall correctly.

HalifaxSeagull

Aug 24, 2010
It is a bit of a walk initially, but you soon end up running some.

I liked the prescriptive nature of it. The fact that I was told when to run, when to walk and when to stop meant I didn't have to think about it, just did it. The lady, Laura who narrates it sounds like a sexy Kirstie Allsop and is really good. As you get longer runs in she tells you when you're half way there, or have 5 mins left etc.

There's also no focus on achieving distance early on, just running the specific time periods each time. I found that once I'd got the distances sorted, my speed picked up without me realising.

Will have to try the park runs. Visiting family in Horsham soon, do they have a park run there?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here