Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Couch to 5k... Worth a go!

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
It is a bit of a walk initially, but you soon end up running some.

I liked the prescriptive nature of it. The fact that I was told when to run, when to walk and when to stop meant I didn't have to think about it, just did it. The lady, Laura who narrates it sounds like a sexy Kirstie Allsop and is really good. As you get longer runs in she tells you when you're half way there, or have 5 mins left etc.

There's also no focus on achieving distance early on, just running the specific time periods each time. I found that once I'd got the distances sorted, my speed picked up without me realising.

Will have to try the park runs. Visiting family in Horsham soon, do they have a park run there?

All over the UK, not sure about Horesham specifically. There is a website somewhere.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Cracking stuff - I did similar a while back and am now running 7-9kms a couple of times a week. Just add a bit more each time, simple as that really. I can run distances now (and barely break a sweat) that I couldn't dream about even attempting a year back.

Well done. You briefly touched on marathons a while back, is this training (ultimately) for the big one?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
OT I know, but....

I've recently completed the NHS couch to 5k podcast program.

Couch to 5K - Live Well - NHS Choices

I was totally unfit and over the last 9 weeks I've followed the program and have run just over 5k in less than 30 minutes (this morning)

If anyone out there is contemplating taking up running, I'd seriously suggest having a look at it, it builds you up just at the right pace and keeps you motivated to keep pushing on each week until you get to the 5k mark. It is based upon 3 periods of exercise per week, combing walking with running. As you progress the walking decreases and running increases...

Now, all I need to do is knock the booze on the head and the 6 pack / celebrity wife will surely follow!

Anyone else tried it, or any follow on packages. I'd like to get up to 10k runs at some point.

Well done.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Well done. You briefly touched on marathons a while back, is this training (ultimately) for the big one?

I've put in for the Brighton half in Feb. Will see how I do there, not rushing into applying for a full marathon yet.

element

Fear [is] the key.....
Jan 28, 2009
Local
Well done on getting up to 5km. in 9 weeks :thumbsup: It took me about 6 months, going from a wheezing-inducing 200 metres to the magic 5km. (I am a fat bas*ard though :lolol: ) Can now bash out 10k's in just under the hour :mad:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here