Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Correspondance with a Pompey fan....

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I wonder whether some of the people complaining about lack of atmosphere at the Amex go anywhere else. I have been to ten other Championship grounds this season and believe you me, the Amex compares very favourably.
They also need to take into account that 10% of our ground ( at present ) is corporate..i.e very quiet and also we have a relatively small ' home ' end, compared to some clubs
The ' home ' end at Fratton Park represents a much bigger percentage of the ground and therefore generates more noise. If we had a Kop-like North Stand, with 6000-8000 in it, the sound would be awesome.
All in all, I'm pretty happy with the Amex. Yes it does go quiet at times but show me another ground in the country that doesn't.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
I wonder whether some of the people complaining about lack of atmosphere at the Amex go anywhere else. I have been to ten other Championship grounds this season and believe you me, the Amex compares very favourably.
They also need to take into account that 10% of our ground ( at present ) is corporate..i.e very quiet and also we have a relatively small ' home ' end, compared to some clubs
The ' home ' end at Fratton Park represents a much bigger percentage of the ground and therefore generates more noise. If we had a Kop-like North Stand, with 6000-8000 in it, the sound would be awesome.
All in all, I'm pretty happy with the Amex. Yes it does go quiet at times but show me another ground in the country that doesn't.

The atmosphere at most championship grounds is 10± that of the prem as well!!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Can we trademark the name Fans United (& Fans Reunited) & prevent Pompey from using it?

I have a feeling their event is going to fall rather flat :D

Can we trademark the name Fans United (& Fans Reunited) & prevent Pompey from using it?

I have a feeling their event is going to fall rather flat :D

How about we start a "All the small business's that have had to let people go and are struggling to stay afloat thanks to the cheating scumbags who are PFC united"

Should raise a few quid.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I'm confused by the debate about atmosphere at the Amex. From where I sit in the West Stand Upper its fantastic every game. However I don't normally hear much noise from the visiting fans in the South Stand, maybe because I'm so far away from them, and am always surprised when people say the away fans sung their hearts out all game! I reckon its got a lot to do with where you sit and I'd be interested to know whether the players think there's a good atmosphere from what the can hear out on the pitch because that's what really matters.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
I HAVE never left the Amex with my voice in tact. Other than play up pompy I heard nowt. NS wasn't great on Saturday but still better than the majority of games I've been to away from the Amex.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003

You could hear a pin drop in the home stands at Fratton Park this season and as for teams like watford!.The Amex is a cauldron compared to most even on a bad day.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I sit right on the half way line in the WSU. I thought Saturday was pretty good actually, and I'm in a perfect spot to compare noise from the north and south ends. I thought Pompey fans tried to make an effort, but was pleasantly surprised at how virtually every P(l)ay up Pompey was instantly drowned out.

It might be key here that several of the posters suggesting the atmosphere isn't what it could be are in the WSL. Perhaps the front of the WSL isn't the best place to experience the atmosphere from, as it's the furthest point in the stadium from any roof, and thus noise gets a bit lost? For my money, the stadium is great when it gets going, particularly when the WSU gets a bit of passion on and joins in with the North.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
No atmosphere !!!
What a load of drivel
Admittedly - and giving Mr Hampshire scrote his due - I'm assuming that the Portsmouth fans wouldn't have been before but perhaps they hadn't worked out that part of their job is to help create the atmosphere
I still get tears in my eyes watching that medley of clips before the teams come out and the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.
The noise at some matches has been utterly tremendous - and it wasn't that bad on Saturday either
This all just smacks of jealousy from Pompey.
I'm more than happy for them to be in the lower leagues for a while - perhaps they'll learn a bit of humility when playing Havant and Waterlooville (and perhaps they won't)
Now all we've got to hope is that they fulfil all their fixtures and we keep our 6 points that we rightly won off them - that's the only thanks that they deserve
So yes Pompey thank you for the six points now fcuk off and bury your head under Southsea Pier !!!

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
In some ways,I know where he is coming from.
Being an older fan I have to say that some of my happiest days following the Albion were when I used to get in the car and go to the other end of the country to some funny old ground like Oldham or Rochdale and soak up the whole atmosphere of the place.Pies,piss smell and all!
You could just turn up on the day ,buy a ticket and get in anywhere you wanted.Sometimes sitting in the stand with the local fans and there was no animosity(there were the obvious fixtures where this was to be avoided!) but just a good laugh and banter.
Yup,life and football have moved on and I may be looking back with rose tinted specs,but to me a little bit of soul has been lost!

Yep - I can relate to that too. Didn't have a car, though. Back in those days you could hitch-hike (and I did!)

D

Deleted member 2719

Same as that. I read some of the comments on here and it sounds like a different ground. Like you we're in WSU and the atmos is cracking. Don't think I've left a home game yet with my voice intact.

Ditto we are in WSU and i thought we had a cracking atmosphere Saturday and out sung Pompey who eventually gave up. Our atmosphere i assume doesn't carry around the ground.

We shall continue to sing our hearts out for the lads, it would help if the WSU middle joined in more often thou.

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
if its about the atmosphere again. we were shocking again. let down mainly my the stand full of spectators in the east stand who refuse to join in songs. you would have heard a pin drop if not for the pompy fans I am afraid to say. Hopefully a lot of these day trippers will lose interest eventually and be replaced by less plastic looking people.

Although having said that pompy fans should all know the words to the one song they have, which was very boring after the first hundred times they sung it.

sharpey38

Aug 4, 2011
Denton
I was a little late arriving on saturday, I was happy that I got to hear the atmosphere from the outside (up the falmer road) it sounded electric from the brighton fans and couldn't wait to join in from my north stand seat

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
We spend a fortune on drink and our fabulous pies and so give our club a f*** load of money to plough back into paying reasonable wages for hungry players.

We don't want them going hungry

Brighton-College-restaurant.jpg

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
When the Amex isn't rocking its still 10 times better than almost any ground in the country. It's not often other fans will ever compliment rivals but even some Palace fans thought the Amex was intimidating (until we fell asleep). I've been to 10 games this year and even the quietest matches have been very loud. Fratton can be loud, but not every week. Unlike us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here