Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cornwall hotel fire

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Just got in from work and seen footage of the hotel fire in Cornwall. Every firefighters worst nightmare. Massive respect to Cornwall Fire & Rescue (some of whom I know well, from past holidays I have spent down there with them and their families), and thoughts, of course, with the families of the deceased gentleman and those listed as still missing.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
looked f***ing horrendous

If you are going away on holiday, take a minute to familiarise yourself with your nearest fire escape, and make sure the rest of your family know too. Then go and find your next nearest escape route and familiarise that as well. If you can't get out of your room, block the gap under the door with a duvet and stay near an open window. You WILL be rescued.

If you are staying at a friends house, make sure you know where the door keys are left at night.

Sadly, sometimes, it does happen.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
There was a bad one in Skegness the night before too. Respect to all the services.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Seeing it on the tv it looked like a nightmare. I'm surprised only 4 people were missing and 1 dead, especially with a wooden fire escape.

Also Bry - what do you think about the fire crews not having a platform because both were being fixed? Wouldnt they have to have one working at the station incase this were to happen?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I guess that most Fire Services would have some vehicles in reserve to cover for breakdowns and routine maintenance, maybe they don't have enough funds to keep one of those platform appliances spare and it was just unfortunate that both were unserviceable at the same time.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
It looked a total INFERNO on the news and massive respect to the Fire and Rescue Services. I don't know what the hotel looked like before it burnt to the ground but for sure, I'd have thought a fairly fierce accelerant must have been involved to produce something as horrendous.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Seeing it on the tv it looked like a nightmare. I'm surprised only 4 people were missing and 1 dead, especially with a wooden fire escape.

Also Bry - what do you think about the fire crews not having a platform because both were being fixed? Wouldnt they have to have one working at the station incase this were to happen?

I can't comment on Cornwall County Fire Brigade procedures, as I wasn't there and I don't work for them. But in Essex Fire and Rescue we have 5 Ariel Ladder Platforms (ALPS) in service, plus 2 in reserve that we can call on, should they be needed.

On a personal level, I shudder to think what it must have been like for the first crew to pull up at that incident, and be committed into the building by their Officer-in-Charge. Massively brave decison by the O-i-C to commit his crew, and uptmost respect for those who went in.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Apparently most of those in the hotel were from Liverpool

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/live...ed-to-flee-fatal-hotel-blaze-100252-19656052/

79C10739-9006-3CA8-484B50BC571481B0.jpg

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Just got in from work and seen footage of the hotel fire in Cornwall. Every firefighters worst nightmare. Massive respect to Cornwall Fire & Rescue (some of whom I know well, from past holidays I have spent down there with them and their families), and thoughts, of course, with the families of the deceased gentleman and those listed as still missing.

You a fireman then Bry? You never said :rolleyes:

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
If you want some tips on getting fat Bry, try a sedentary lifestyle, excess alcohol and a diet made up mainly from junk food...never tried it myself but I see plenty of people every day who appear to do pretty well from it judging by their physical state.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
If you want some tips on getting fat Bry, try a sedentary lifestyle, excess alcohol and a diet made up mainly from junk food...never tried it myself but I see plenty of people every day who appear to do pretty well from it judging by their physical state.

Being a nurse also gets you fat quick!!!

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I have just realised that my post was less than polite, I understand that there are many people who have absolutely no control over their weight, due to either a medical condition or a physical situation that renders it impossible for them to do any meaningful exercise...if anyone on here falls into that category then I hope I haven't caused any offence as none was intended.

If on the other hand you are scared of exercise, drink excessively (through choice, not alcoholism) and think that Maccy D is the height of good cuisine...take a good look at yourself.

Gully

Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Shit...I am digging a hole for myself (at least it is a form of exercise)...best quit while I am ahead.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here