Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Coppell to Pompey

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
il'll go further than that ... THE best manager this football club has ever had.

Plus he had to be persuaded by Dick Knight to go to Reading if I remember correctly as we needed the compensation money. He rejected the first contract offer I think. Though it did go pear shaped at the end after it had looked like we were going to escape relegation. The loss against Preston (2-0) started us on a downward spiral, and we were dependent on a Reading side who didn't need anything to get something at Stoke. Didn't matter anyway as we fluffed it at Grimsby. But to his credit we saw some of the best players I've ever seen playing for us: Ingimarsson, Sidwell, Roberts and we saw what we missed by not picking up Simon Rodger as a youngster.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
He was a good manager... but the best we've ever had ? I dont think so

He nearly performed a miracle except after he did the hard work we slipped back which was a waste... would have been like Maradona shooting wide after he rounded Shilton in 86

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
People often talk about Coppell as being brilliant for us, but realistically, was he? He made good signings, it would be difficult to argue with that overall. But he didn't really get a chance to do a good job with us. He nearly kept us up, which would have been a massive achievement, but he didn't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here