Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Coppell is FINNISH

London Pompous

Feb 16, 2008
Of course, my benchmark of success is not simply how good someone is with the media, otherwise I would think Ian Holloway and Kevin Keegan are the best managers around. But, I do think a personality is important, both with the players and to endear yourself to fans. He's just got nothing going for him. I also admit I dislike him for some petty reasons, such as leaving us like he did, and the fact I didn't want a Palace man in charge of us right from the start, but that's football.

Steve Coppell is a man of decency and honour, characteristics that you seem to singularly lack. Here are three examples of his decency:

1: When Dean Blackwell had verbally agreed to sign a contract, and then damaged his cruciates, it was Steve Coppell who persuaded DK that the Albion should honour their side of the deal, although they could have walked away from it. This impressed the rest of the squad, and the following season we were promoted.

2: Steve Coppell has been both vocal and shown his physical prescence in relation to the Falmer campaign, by turning up to marches and writing letters of support, even after he left the club.

3: He agreed that Reading would play us for Kerry Mayo's testimonial, when no other Premiership club wanted to know.

As for not having the personality you crave, if the qualities of honesty, dry wit and decency are not good enough then shame on you.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Steve Coppell is a man of decency and honour, characteristics that you seem to singularly lack. Here are three examples of his decency:

1: When Dean Blackwell had verbally agreed to sign a contract, and then damaged his cruciates, it was Steve Coppell who persuaded DK that the Albion should honour their side of the deal, although they could have walked away from it. This impressed the rest of the squad, and the following season we were promoted.

2: Steve Coppell has been both vocal and shown his physical prescence in relation to the Falmer campaign, by turning up to marches and writing letters of support, even after he left the club.

3: He agreed that Reading would play us for Kerry Mayo's testimonial, when no other Premiership club wanted to know.

As for not having the personality you crave, if the qualities of honesty, dry wit and decency are not good enough then shame on you.

:clap::bowdown: My post of the day.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
A lot of people in football have trouble with intelligent, decent managers. Arsene Wenger gets a lot of stick just for being very good at what he does without ranting about it. How many other managers would have the humility to apologise for and retract a statement made in the heat of the moment after seeing one of his players badly injured? Not many. Interestingly he has also publicly supported the Falmer campaign without having any historical links with BHA. Yet he still gets shit on here. I don't particularly like the fact that he moans about dirty opponents whilst conveniently overlooking the violent antics of some of his players but no-one's perfect.
It was suggested on Football Focus on Saturday that on an International level we fail because our players and managers aren't as clever as their foreign counterparts. If that is true, and I suspect it is, Coppell would be my choice as England Manager.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Coppell will be remembered by true Albion fans as one of the greatest managers that the club ever had. Forget his sexual preferences & his Palace roots. When we're watching Albion winning Champions league matches at Falmer in a few years time, don't forget the role that Coppell played in helping us to turn our dreams into reality.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Plus, who else would have been able to attract..

Blackwell, Rodger, Sidwell and Ingimarrson.

Four top players who signed for us(albeit temporary for the last two) in a season where we looked like a pub team early on.

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
At last, the Aids ridden scumbag is being found out. Nice to see him looking f***ing clueless on the sidelines today. Aston Villa really should have scored four or five:lolol:

Sorry.....but that is total crap....Steve Coppell has not got aids....is not scum and is a top rate manager.....if he had stayed here Albion would still be in the championship....He wanted to stay here....and I for one would love him to come back to Albion one day.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I thought Villa looked good today.Martin O'Neil is putting a good side together there.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC

Agree entirely on these points. There are some question marks about his leaving that still taint my view of him (from God, to a mere archangel) but you cannot question that he did a lot of good for the club and team

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England

Post of the Day :bowdown:

London Pompous

Feb 16, 2008
Er, do I know you? I always find it very weird when someone has so many opinions about you, and you haven't a f***ing clue who they are???

Can you see the irony here with regards to your comments about Steve Coppell?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
...He wanted to stay here....

But he was told the compensation money was needed. That is why he wrote letters of support and came to the Labour party march.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Oh deary me, does no-one agree with you when the other whinger isn't on here!? Shame! :salute:

:tosser:

I completely disagree with him on this subject.

Coppell = a class act. Worked wonders at Albion, has done minor miracles to comfortably keep Reading in the league last season and, to me, is a thoroughly nice bloke.

:bigwave:

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
But, just for your benefit TSB, WW very rarely agrees with me on albion-related subjects.

Well, fair play there WW, comments retracted and I feel utterly ashamed, obviously.

Not that many people that agree with you on this issue it seems, TCB (except Biscuit, for some reason)

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here