Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Coppell is FINNISH

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
I've read one by him, and one by a journalist who covered United every day for a couple of years. Both excellent. I'm guessing you have too? It makes you realise there's a hell of a lot more to him, a lot of it good, which makes the "he's a cheating, moaning bastard" comments all the more ridiculous.

Indeed.

He did a couple of season diaries in the 1990's, one including the Cantona 'incident'. They are both really good reads.

You can borrow them if you want - let me know.

:thumbsup:

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I've read one by him, and one by a journalist who covered United every day for a couple of years. Both excellent. I'm guessing you have too? It makes you realise there's a hell of a lot more to him, a lot of it good, which makes the "he's a cheating, moaning bastard" comments all the more ridiculous.

Fergie has many good qualities, which you obviously admire, which makes it all the more perplexing that you think of Coppell as you do. How then do you square the fact that your hero holds your object of derision in such high regard? Really, I'm interested.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Ok, to be perfectly honest, this is the answer, although admittedly it's not a particularly intellectual one. I like CHARACTERS, people who aren't afraid to say what they think, people who will cause unlimited CONTROVERSY - even people prepared to bend the rules or cheat to win. Ferguson just happens to be a very successful one of these, a lot of the other people I like are idiots or useless! It's also why I like Kuipers (not that he's an idiot!). Sure, he's not the most fantastic goalkeeper ever to play the game, but I love watching the over the top reactions and the rants. So, to the contrary, I just feel there's no place for people as dull as Coppell. He couldn't inspire me to run a bath, let alone win a football match. That's why I don't rate him. Then, as for the very personal dislike of him, that's because of the way he left us, which in itself is a whole new thread. And why does Ferguson like Coppell? Because he's an ex-United player who will never pose a threat to Ferguson.

Oh deary me, does no-one agree with you when the other whinger isn't on here!? Shame! :salute:

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
You've got such a slack grasp of what's being said I'm surprised you can even turn the pc on to be honest.

Ha! And now you're getting on your high horse about it.

You called him an aids ridden scumbag. Hence, you are the fuckwit.

PS I like characters too...shame you don't live upto that label, as hard as you try.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Nothing wrong with Coppell. I think some people may be a little homophobic on here, but nothing wrong with being gay. Frankly its a credit that he has done so well as a manager given the potential prejudice in the game.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Nothing wrong with Coppell. I think some people may be a little homophobic on here, but nothing wrong with being gay. Frankly its a credit that he has done so well as a manager given the potential prejudice in the game.

He's gay?

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Ok, to be perfectly honest, this is the answer, although admittedly it's not a particularly intellectual one. I like CHARACTERS, people who aren't afraid to say what they think, people who will cause unlimited CONTROVERSY - even people prepared to bend the rules or cheat to win. Ferguson just happens to be a very successful one of these, a lot of the other people I like are idiots or useless! It's also why I like Kuipers (not that he's an idiot!). Sure, he's not the most fantastic goalkeeper ever to play the game, but I love watching the over the top reactions and the rants. So, to the contrary, I just feel there's no place for people as dull as Coppell. He couldn't inspire me to run a bath, let alone win a football match. That's why I don't rate him. Then, as for the very personal dislike of him, that's because of the way he left us, which in itself is a whole new thread. And why does Ferguson like Coppell? Because he's an ex-United player who will never pose a threat to Ferguson.

Coppell isn't afraid to say what he thinks. He is also rated by many who know him as very inspiring. You don't get to keep a two-bit club like Reading in the Premiership for as long as he has by being a dullard. Coppell hasn't been found out it's just that he doesn't have the squad he once had and his better players aren't perfroming at the moment.
His public persona may not light fires but if your benchmark of success is how someone performs in the media then most of my heros would never make your list. That's ok, it's just a different viewpoint of what is 'good'.
Plenty of managers have left in circumstances similar to that of Coppell but he gets pretty much singled out for aids jibes because he has a brain and therefore, as we all know, anyone with a brain in football is gay. You're wrong about why Fergusson rates him too.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Of more interest to me will be Reading's crowds next season if they get relegated.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
From Wikipedia:

Steve Coppell's Managerial stats(as of 29 May 2007)

Win %

Crystal Palace June 3, 1984 May 17, 1993 40.49

Crystal Palace June 8, 1995 February 8, 1996 28.12

Manchester City October 6, 1996 November 8, 1996 33.33

Crystal Palace February 28, 1997 March 13, 1998 31.37

Crystal Palace January 15, 1999 August 1, 2000 42.50

Brentford May 8, 2001 June 5, 2002 47.36

Brighton & Hove Albion October 7, 2002 October 9, 2003 36.73

Reading October 9, 2003 Present 48.40

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Firstly, congratulations on being one of a very small number of people on here who can totally disagree yet put your point over excellently without resorting to abuse:clap:

Thank you. Abuse is the refuge of the unimaginative.

I was pissed at him for leaving us as he did but then I tried to put myself in his shoes. One of the problems with being a passionate football supporter is that you expect your players and manager to feel like you do about the club. To Coppell's credit he never gave it the bleeding blue and white (unlike Sidwell who kissed the badge and then ran for the money), he talked about his players and his tactics, much as he does now. In some ways Wilkins is similar and gets slated for it too. Managers like that are usually far more popular with their players than with the fans.

London Pompous

Feb 16, 2008

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here