Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] COP26: Just More Of The Same Hot Air?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I guess Prince Charles can lecture people about the environment whilst having a massive personal carbon footprint because he is speaking to a group of world leaders with absolutely huge personal carbon footprints. Maybe the media could step in and question this, only they are just as bad. 100's of film and still camera staff when a fraction of that could have provided coverage.

Well, quite.

I should imagine Prince Charles' carbon footprint for his country home in Gloucestershire and his residence in London - plus his regular travel between the two, not to mention trips up to his other house on the Balmoral estate etc - dwarf my carbon footprint. I have very little - and that which I do have, I have by necessity. So frankly, Charles can **** off, unless of course he plan to downsize to one house and one car that he and Camilla can share.

No, thought not.

I'm going to defend Charles here. Yes he's rich, yes he has huge estates. BUT he is a key supporter of changing things to become carbon neutral. He's spent a lot of time (and money) making his properties and lands more carbon neutral. Agreed he has the money to do it and agreed he will still have a carbon footprint far larger than the average person - but the average person doesn't own quite so much land and property !

Recently there was an interesting two part documentary following him around based around what he was doing. He's converted most of the vehicles his estate uses to electric as an example including his Aston Martin (?) he got for his 21st. All his tenant farmers have to produce a net zero plan. ( On Prime if I remember correctly ).

Now I accept he still has a long way to go but don't we all ? After all ( bar a bit of recycling ) how much have any of us done individually ?

> How many of us have ripped out our gas boilers ?
> How many of us have converted to electric cars ( and only have one per household ) ?
> How many of us still re-new our tech when the new stuff comes out yet the old stuff still works ? Prime example being phones - they should last 6+ years yet many of us can't wait for that period towards the end of our contract to get the latest and greatest
> How many of us throw food out every week when we try to pack the shopping into the fridge ? i.e. most of us over buy
> How many of us check the food miles when shopping ?

I could go on but I know you're already doing a Johnson/Biden.

The point being, the w@nkers at COP26 won't achieve very much. The real action needs to come from US normal people ..... and Charles types who can't get involved in politics.

Last edited:

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
When the world had COP01 I wonder how many thought it would become such a success here we are at COP26 already looking forward to the 30th edition where we can look back and remember past COP’s the highs and lows when Greta was just a child, when Trump made an ass of himself, the countless missed opportunity’s, Sir David’s many speeches and of course we will look back at the changing landscapes around the world and recall when Bangladeshi was not an island, Iceland had ice, Hollands nearest coastal port was not Maastricht and the countless millions of people displaced migrants that the world cannot house or feed

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
As always he knows exactly what he's doing. Given that he's had to alienate a large amount of his populist base by making speeches in favour of radical climate action, he's now acting like he doesn't really care. I can hear the voices in Wetherspoons now: "Ah he's alright Boris, he gets it, he had to make all those speeches for the media but you can tell he thinks it's all bollocks".

It's an absolute winner for Boris. He can make all sorts of dramatic presentations, stealing the 'blah blah blah' trope, in the full knowledge he can toddle back to London with numerous successes under his belt which are promises that we will jolly well do something at some point. Oh yes.

Meanwhile we will carry on building coal power stations etc., if the local voter, sorry community, will be grateful as a consequence.

Politics is a piece of piss if you are bothered not by the truth, and have an excellent eye for the main chance.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
its not false, its based the standard of counting output within the country's geography. the claim is that we dont count the overseas emission from goods produced there. quite right, because that emissions happened there. there are metrics that count in that way instead if you look for it. a second claim, is that because we have UK based finance and insurance involved in overseas emissions, that should count against our emissions. this is just self-flagulation.

That is just a very simplistic way of looking at it, hiding from any responsibility. The mass consumption in rich Western countries are a part of the problem, wherever the things we consume are produced. Countries want the same standards of living as over here, so they cant really say "nah, we'll just stop exporting stuff". Our greed for luxury and our refusal to create self-sustainable production of food etc. are the same sort of greeds and refusals that are part of creating this crisis.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm going to defend Charles here. Yes he's rich, yes he has huge estates. BUT he is a key supporter of changing things to become carbon neutral. He's spent a lot of time (and money) making his properties and lands more carbon neutral. Agreed he has the money to do it and agreed he will still have a carbon footprint far larger than the average person - but the average person doesn't own quite so much land and property !

Recently there was an interesting two part documentary following him around based around what he was doing. He's converted most of the vehicles his estate uses to electric as an example including his Aston Martin (?) he got for his 21st. All his tenant farmers have to produce a net zero plan. ( On Prime if I remember correctly ).

Now I accept he still has a long way to go but don't we all ? After all ( bar a bit of recycling ) how much have any of us done individually ?

> How many of us have ripped out our gas boilers ?
> How many of us have converted to electric cars ( and only have one per household ) ?
> How many of us still re-new our tech when the new stuff comes out yet the old stuff still works ? Prime example being phones - they should last 6+ years yet many of us can't wait for that period towards the end of our contract to get the latest and greatest
> How many of us throw food out every week when we try to pack the shopping into the fridge ? i.e. most of us over buy
> How many of us check the food miles when shopping ?

I could go on but I know you're already doing a Johnson/Biden.

The point being, the w@nkers at COP26 won't achieve very much. The real action needs to come from US normal people ..... and Charles types who can't get involved in politics.
I'm not going to suggest Charles' heart isn't in the right place, but as you have said already he can afford to make good looking climate friendly changes because he has more money than he will ever need. He is thinking "Ok I'll replace all the boilerS because the current ones are harmful to the environment" whereas 99% of us are thinking "I'd love to change my ONE boiler but my current one is fine and replacing it would mean no holiday this year".

If you want to affect climate change, you can't have the rich doing the lecturing. Why aren't Brazil, India and China remotely interested? I'll tell you - because they don't like being told that their burgeoning middle-classes can't own a fridge by reps of countries where every household has one thanks to their industrial revolutions that started this ecological mess 150 years ago.

I think the government should act now limit car use, limit flights, get people to not buy single use plastic, insist on us not buying from other polluters, make people eat plant based diets, stop people living the throwaway life styles and get people to accept having less or people could just change their own lives.
Balls in our court.???

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm not going to suggest Charles' heart isn't in the right place, but as you have said already he can afford to make good looking climate friendly changes because he has more money than he will ever need. He is thinking "Ok I'll replace all the boilerS because the current ones are harmful to the environment" whereas 99% of us are thinking "I'd love to change my ONE boiler but my current one is fine and replacing it would mean no holiday this year".

If you want to affect climate change, you can't have the rich doing the lecturing. Why aren't Brazil, India and China remotely interested? I'll tell you - because they don't like being told that their burgeoning middle-classes can't own a fridge by reps of countries where every household has one thanks to their industrial revolutions that started this ecological mess 150 years ago.

"I can put this boiler in for you for £3k, or I can put this heat pump system in that if your home isn't really well insulated and air tight probably isn't going to heat your house to comfortable level for £15k. Up to you?" :shrug:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think the government should act now limit car use, limit flights, get people to not buy single use plastic, insist on us not buying from other polluters, make people eat plant based diets, stop people living the throwaway life styles and get people to accept having less or people could just change their own lives.
Balls in our court.???

You missed the local Hove-ites go bat-shit-mental because a 1.5 mile length of lane was given over to bikes?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I'm not going to suggest Charles' heart isn't in the right place, but as you have said already he can afford to make good looking climate friendly changes because he has more money than he will ever need. He is thinking "Ok I'll replace all the boilerS because the current ones are harmful to the environment" whereas 99% of us are thinking "I'd love to change my ONE boiler but my current one is fine and replacing it would mean no holiday for the next ten years".

Agree with all of that with one slight amendment

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Thread
See new Tweets
Conversation
Paul Waugh [MENTION=12198]paul[/MENTION]waugh
And here he is.
@JeffBezos
tells #COP26 that 'when I was in space' earlier this year he realised just how thin the globe's atmosphere was.
Think he forgot to mention just how many fossil fuels he spent getting into space.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
So today we've had more than 100 countries sign up to end deforestation by 2030, including Brazil.

Also 80 countries sign up to reduce methane emissions by 30% by 2030 - but not Russia, India or China.

Do these measures go far enough?

Will countries even stick to them, considering they're just voluntary commitments?

BJ press conference at 5pm as well.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
So today we've had more than 100 countries sign up to end deforestation by 2030, including Brazil.

Also 80 countries sign up to reduce methane emissions by 30% by 2030 - but not Russia, India or China.

Do these measures go far enough?

Will countries even stick to them, considering they're just voluntary commitments?

BJ press conference at 5pm as well.

I don't understand why it will take Brazil another 8 years to stop chopping down the rainforest. Surely they introduce a law prohibiting the chopping down of trees and possessing a chainsaw and the job is done?

8 years is bloody ridiculous for something that would be so simple to stop NOW.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I have just had this weird dream about a Prime Minister, with the eyes of the world on him at such an important time in our history and he goes on about football, goals, extra time, bomb disposal experts cutting wires and hoping they are cutting the right wires.
Maybe it was the cheese at lunchtime or did it actually happen?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Balls in our court.???

This and also stop people having more than 2 children [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here