Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cook Gone. I'm mad as hell and Gus is to blame.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Rumours abound in Scotland that Sandaza's current rich vein of scoring form will see him move to one of the Old Firm during January. He certainly knows where the goal is, as they say.

Poyet also brought in, and brought on, Liam Bridcutt, and has changed El Abd's game beyond all recognition. I think, on the whole, I'll choose to trust his judgement on transfers.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Gus has let Cookie go to pursue his career , in all probability he wouldn't have been offered a new contract with the squad being strengthened over the summer. £300k with the add ons is better than nothing and if he does come on leaps and bounds we will benefit from the sell on clause.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
I am pissed off we sold Cook, i think he is a quality player

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Oh dear.

You're being VERY selective.

I think the point being made is to the gus bus crew who believe that he never makes a mistake.

The last couple of times Gus has let someone big go he has had a replacement lined up already. The question is whether someone with only 2 starts is deemed important enough to have the replacement lined up.

Sent by yolk folk

Can you add some flesh to the bones of that post. Seem to recall we let Murray go and whilst it may have seemed CMS was a good bet, it hasn't quite worked out that way. What other examples do you have of GP releasing players and signing better ones.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I don't know of anyone who thinks that.

I don't know of anyone who knows of anyone who thinks that.

Many posters on here certainly give the impression that they believe Gus can do no wrong. The whole "Gus Bus" thing demonstrates that. Sure the guy has done a good job for us, but he is by no means superhuman. He is a good manager, but has a long way to go to equal our best. I hope he does.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Many posters on here certainly give the impression that they believe Gus can do no wrong. The whole "Gus Bus" thing demonstrates that. Sure the guy has done a good job for us, but he is by no means superhuman. He is a good manager, but has a long way to go to equal our best. I hope he does.

But you wish to damn him by ignoring his qualities and only picking up what you think are his follies.

And the 'Gus Bus' thing is not a sign of apparent papalesque infallibility.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
. What other examples do you have of GP releasing players and signing better ones.

He replaced Murray and Sandaza, with CMS and Hoskins.
Bennett's replacement is Buckley.
Further back, he replaced Virgo with Greer, Whing with Calderon, Crofts with Sparrow, etc, etc, etc.

Every one of those changes involves a player coming in PROVEN at a higher level than the departing one.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
This reminds me very much of when John Sullivan was released by Slade(?) - Some thought that was a mistake after seeing him in no more than about 10 games. For the last 3 years he has warmed the bench for Millwall and Charlton and had a handfull of games for Yeovil.

Just saying.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
He replaced Murray and Sandaza, with CMS and Hoskins.
Bennett's replacement is Buckley.
Further back, he replaced Virgo with Greer, Whing with Calderon, Crofts with Sparrow, etc, etc, etc.

Every one of those changes involves a player coming in PROVEN at a higher level than the departing one.

Crofts was a better player, Bennetts a better player, Murrays a better player than hoskins and CMS was not proven at championship level but carry on.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
This reminds me very much of when John Sullivan was released by Slade(?) - Some thought that was a mistake after seeing him in no more than about 10 games. For the last 3 years he has warmed the bench for Millwall and Charlton and had a handfull of games for Yeovil.

Just saying.

And I'll just say that we replaced him with Graeme Smith.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Crofts was a better player, Bennetts a better player, Murrays a better player than hoskins and CMS was not proven at championship level but carry on.

That isn't what I said. I said the players coming in were PROVEN at a higher level than those departing. Those are the facts, whatever your opinions.

Oh, and CMS played one season at this level and scored 14 goals in a woeful team. Perfectly acceptable return.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
As it stands at the moment Gus is a mid table championship manager. Which is fine by me.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
That.

Gus is in his first job, and the first time at this level. Mistakes will be made. I am a happy traveller on the Gus Bus.

If i was cookie I would have gone also. Treble his youth pay, guaranteed first team football - job done.

We have honoured a gentlemans agreement - I like that.

We might receive as much as 300K for just two starts and some sub appearances - I like that.

Am I gutted as he looked quality - yes a bit but overall, given the evidence, it was the right business to be done.

llugaes

Jan 20, 2009
had hoped we'd keep him at least until greer had served his ban tbh. good luck to him, good player.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here