Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cook Gone. I'm mad as hell and Gus is to blame.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I'm mad as hell because we should be developing and holding on to our own home-grown talent (and I believe Cook falls into that category) rather than signing don't-give-a-feck-about-brighton-but-I'll-take-the-money Chileans, Paraguayans, Spaniards and various other nationalities ... some of whom spend all their time in the treatment room.

So would you rather the club kept him under false pretences, or be honest with him and let the guy make his own decisions regarding his future?

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Let me get this straight. You have seen the lad play, what, twice? And Gus, who was a world class footballer with a long career playing for top level clubs, has seen him play every day in training for the last two years, and countless development squad games. Yet you think you are better qualified to make a decision on whether he will become a good enough player to be a regular first teamer in a team with serious Premier League aspirations in the next few years than he is?

There's one person here who is 'damned stupid', and I'll give you a clue- it's not Gus.

Exactly.

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
The manager should have seen the lad's obvious talent and kept him much closer to the First Team squad. His ability to operate at RB or CB would have made him a valuable squad member. Better that we keep and develop one of our own than bring a utlity player like Vincelot.

I can understand him wanting to go to Bournemouth for 1st team football, but if Gus had not been so damned stupid he would still be ours.

A bad, bad, bad decision by Gus ... and not his first.

maybe just maybe, we've got a suitable replacement lined up. The money offered plus appearances and add-ons is ideal for us. The fee will rise to £300,000 or maybe more and that is what I call brilliant business.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
This transfer is all about a decent sell-on fee as far as i'm concerned.AFCB are a selling club and Cook could easily turn out to be a very good player.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I'm mad as hell because we should be developing and holding on to our own home-grown talent (and I believe Cook falls into that category) rather than signing don't-give-a-feck-about-brighton-but-I'll-take-the-money Chileans, Paraguayans, Spaniards and various other nationalities ... some of whom spend all their time in the treatment room.

But what if he isn't considered good enough for the Championship? If we hang on to him and other 'home grown' talent but don't play them (except from the bench) then what message does that give to other youngsters who also want to progress their careers? I'm sure they'd like to know they would be released if other clubs came in for them.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Let me get this straight. You have seen the lad play, what, twice? And Gus, who was a world class footballer with a long career playing for top level clubs, has seen him play every day in training for the last two years, and countless development squad games. Yet you think you are better qualified to make a decision on whether he will become a good enough player to be a regular first teamer in a team with serious Premier League aspirations in the next few years than he is?

There's one person here who is 'damned stupid', and I'll give you a clue- it's not Gus.

Is this the same Gus that signed Baz, Battepidi, Paynter, Sandaza?

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
I am gutted Cook has gone. Don't know why we didn't give him a 3year deal and loaned him out for a year. I think we will go on to regret this deal big time.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

Now you're just making yourself look silly. You could say that by signing for Bournemouth, Cook's shown a "don't-give-a-feck-about-brighton-but-I'll-take-the-money" attitude too.

If Cook has the potential to be a Premiership player then I'm fairly sure that one of Gus, Tanno, Charlie, Hinsh, Luke Williams, Steve Brown, Vic Bragg etc. would have spotted it.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
The last couple of times Gus has let someone big go he has had a replacement lined up already. The question is whether someone with only 2 starts is deemed important enough to have the replacement lined up.

Sent by yolk folk

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Oh dear.

You're being VERY selective.

Indeed and even trying to select the very worst of Gus' signings it would be harsh to deny that Sandaza did a good, if limited, job for us. Should really have chosen Chris "where is he now?" Holroyd. :)

I do notice that Calde is suddenly absolute cack in some peoples' eyes (from what I can fathom purely because he is not a native son of east sussex). Ditto Vincelot, Jara, Greer (well he is a scot after all) Painter (a Brummie ffs) ................... in fact ALL of our defenders except el Abd, Dunk, Hall and (the no longer ours) Cook. Presumably Sampayo will be absolutely hopeless (ex-Chelsea innit) although there may be some small hope for Vickers. Branco of course has no chance!

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
If Cook has the potential to be a Premiership player then I'm fairly sure that one of Gus, Tanno, Charlie, Hinsh, Luke Williams, Steve Brown, Vic Bragg etc. would have spotted it.

So if we are only prepared to keep those with "potential to be a Premiership player" we should probably dispense with two thirds of the squad.

Can't see why we would be only interested at this stage in players with Premier League potential? We have a lot to do in the shorter term including 1) staying in this division, and 2) establishing ourselves as a Championship team. The Premier League is at best a couple of seasons away (and personally I'm not sure I want to see us there anyway) and a lot of water flows under the bridge in the meantime.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
So if we are only prepared to keep those with "potential to be a Premiership player" we should probably dispense with two thirds of the squad.

Can't see why we would be only interested at this stage in players with Premier League potential? We have a lot to do in the shorter term including 1) staying in this division, and 2) establishing ourselves as a Championship team. The Premier League is at best a couple of seasons away (and personally I'm not sure I want to see us there anyway) and a lot of water flows under the bridge in the meantime.

Why not ? if we get decent offers and can line up better quality players without a significant increase in outlay, I would say that was a pretty smart strategy.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Is this the same Gus that signed Baz, Battepidi, Paynter, Sandaza?

Yes it is. Are you suggesting that if you were the Manager every signing you ever made would be a success?

Do you remember Eric Djemba-Djemba, Kleberson and Massimo Taibi? Who signed them then?

Find me ONE Manager in the history of the game who hasn't signed the odd dud.

Basically, you know nothing about football. You might think you do, because you watch it from the stands and on TV, but you don't.

Oh and Sandaza won us a few points, he was a decent player at that level but he couldn't get in the team ahead of Murray and Barnes.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Oh and Sandaza won us a few points, he was a decent player at that level but he couldn't get in the team ahead of Murray and Barnes.

Indeed for it his last min goal that sent us TOP against Oldham and truly remarkable running track lulz at Withers (only matched by Bridders against Carlisle)

PLUS I would rather Sandaza than Paynter.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom

This big time :clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here