Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Contract extension to 2025 for Graham Potter

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I didn't say that Triggaaar.
But you did say that 'Long Contracts rarely benefit anyone but the Club'. I had thought, that roughly speaking, a manager who is sacked will often get some or all of their remaining contract paid (perhaps until they take another management position), unless there's a specific clause in their contract (eg, must qualify for CL), or unless they're dismissed for gross misconduct etc. If that is the case, then surely the long contract is benefiting the manager?

And you know full well I can't go into any detail on how things are calculated or negotiated between all parties each time Managers get sacked by Clubs around the country.
Eh? I certainly wouldn't expect you to go into details of any particular manager. It's a general conversation about managers and long clauses. If managers don't keep getting paid after being sacked, I'd have thought you could say that. And if they do keep getting paid, then why are you saying that long contracts aren't good for them?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
But you did say that 'Long Contracts rarely benefit anyone but the Club'. I had thought, that roughly speaking, a manager who is sacked will often get some or all of their remaining contract paid (perhaps until they take another management position), unless there's a specific clause in their contract (eg, must qualify for CL), or unless they're dismissed for gross misconduct etc. If that is the case, then surely the long contract is benefiting the manager?

Eh? I certainly wouldn't expect you to go into details of any particular manager. It's a general conversation about managers and long clauses. If managers don't keep getting paid after being sacked, I'd have thought you could say that. And if they do keep getting paid, then why are you saying that long contracts aren't good for them?

I say no more than this.

Despite what newspapers report on how much it cost Man United to sack Jose Mourhino or for Spurs to sack Pochetino
or for Watford to sack Javier Gracia. The length of time remaining on their contracts would have been largely irrelevant.

Newspapers lead us to believe it does. That's only because journalist are too lazy. They just multiply what they believe a Manager's annual salary is by the amount of years left on a contract then they print it.

Then when it is printed people take that as being true. Because they want to believe the sensationalism of those "hefty numbers"

Newspapers blame internet sites for reporting "fake news". They peddle more "fake news" than any other Entity. They always have done

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I say no more than this.

Despite what newspapers report on how much it cost Man United to sack Jose Mourhino or for Spurs to sack Pochetino
or for Watford to sack Javier Gracia. The length of time remaining on their contracts would have been largely irrelevant.

Newspapers lead us to believe it does. That's only because journalist are too lazy. They just multiply what they believe a Manager's annual salary is by the amount of years left on a contract then they print it.

Then when it is printed people take that as being true. Because they want to believe the sensationalism of those "hefty numbers"

Newspapers blame internet sites for reporting "fake news". They peddle more "fake news" than any other Entity. They always have done

Like many other industries, there’ll be a compromise agreement in most cases.......

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I say no more than this.

or for Watford to sack Javier Gracia.
Ah, well I haven't read a single word on any of that lot anyway.

The length of time remaining on their contracts would have been largely irrelevant.
Ignoring the managers you've mentioned, can you not explain at all why contract lengths are largely irrelevant? If you comment on the industry as a whole, then I don't see how that would be inappropriate for you, but obviously you don't have to comment.

Like many other industries, there’ll be a compromise agreement in most cases.......
Nail on Head
Well if there's a compromise, then surely it would be a compromise between nothing and their full contract paid up. If they only had 6 months left to run on their contract, then they'd get less than if there were 3 years left. So while it would be no surprise to learn that compromises are reached, that doesn't explain why a long contract doesn't help the manager when sacked.

Which is why I generally don't read them.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Fantastic news, I really do think he’s going to be special.

Now he needs some support in the next couple of transfer windows. I think he’s done superbly so far with what he has available but there are very obvious weaknesses in the side and squad. Add in the promising youngsters we have coming through, we could be in a really exciting place in a season of two.

I'm personally wondering if we might play three at the back on occasion next season with Dunk, Webster and the Leeds superstar White. Could be quite a unit!

Javeaseagull

NSC Patron
Feb 22, 2014
For some reason I am reminded of the time we lost out in the Play-offs. We had played very well, particularly first half but ultimately failed to reach the final. We had come so close to promotion at Middlesborough and I was feeling very down.
What did Tony Bloom do? Gave Chris a new 4 year contract the next morning! In Tony I trust!

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I'm personally wondering if we might play three at the back on occasion next season with Dunk, Webster and the Leeds superstar White. Could be quite a unit!

Obviously a lot could change between now and next year but at the moment I’d say that’s looking quite likely. And an exciting prospect it is too. Especially if we do strengthen the wing back positions.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Andy Naylor says the contract extension is a vote of confidence and not to stop him being poached:

Screenshot 2019-11-27 at 09.04.06.png

https://theathletic.com/1412439/201...ds-off-message-to-other-prospective-employers <--- Worth a read.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Wooow

Do you honestly think lil old Brighton are a big enough side to steal a player away from The Mighty Leeds United?

Not just any old player, like Bamford, but a player so synonymous with the club he was christened 'Leeds United's Ben White'.

I'll have a glass of what you're having.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I say no more than this.

You little tease.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here