Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Completely RANDOM things about Brighton & Hove...

Stoichkov

The Miserable Bulgarian
Jul 26, 2004
Brighton
Does anyone remember the old Comet store on what is now the Brighton Station development site?

Not really a warehouse, you had to go up a steep staircase to the upper floor where all the stock was.

Also in that area during the 80's was the gravel car parks such as Belmont St etc

Does anyone remember the old Comet store on what is now the Brighton Station development site?

Not really a warehouse, you had to go up a steep staircase to the upper floor where all the stock was.

Also in that area during the 80's was the gravel car parks such as Belmont St etc

I parked my Post Office Engineering van in Belmont Street car park, the fuel used to get siphoned out of a colleague's Transit quite often. My van got nicked one day and I was hoping for a new one, but it was found abandoned in Whitehawk, still with the tools in!
Royal Mail also had a car park up behind the wood recycling place.

BeardyChops

Jan 24, 2009

Yes - not amongst other shops, and not in a trading estate like nowadays. Can't remember what I bought there though... certainly wasn't a DVD player, a PC, a DAB radio etc etc :lolol:

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
s29.jpg

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
who used to jump over the foot bath at St Luke's swimming pool because it was too cold?....and the swinging doors on the Girls and Boys changing rooms....next to each other - you had to get your timing right for a peep (nb/ when i was 10).

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
who used to jump over the foot bath at St Luke's swimming pool because it was too cold?....and the swinging doors on the Girls and Boys changing rooms....next to each other - you had to get your timing right for a peep (nb/ when i was 10).

Praise the lord i thought i was the only wet blanket that used to hop the foot bath :)

Slowhand

Aug 24, 2005
Near Lewes
Was there a club/disco called Markwicks, somewhere near Palace Pier.

Thanks for reminding me of Clapshaw and Cleave, did they also sell Subbuteo stuff.

Being in the Top Rank Suite and having to eat a lettuce leaf, a slice of tomato and a piece of spam which constituted a meal and then we could drink until late.

The New Heart and Hand, and the Spotted Dog, allegedly gay pubs where you used to dare your mates to go in!

A shop near Brighton station where they had juke boxes and pinball machines in the window!

The old platform on the extreme right of the station which used to be the train for Lewes, last one on a Saturday was something like 16 minutes past midnight and occasionally BR tossers would say that because it was past midnight getting that train didn't constitute a day return!!

Upstairs at the Richmond, some decent bands there.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
moz-screenshot-23.jpg
moz-screenshot-24.jpg
moz-screenshot-25.jpg
jg_7_053.jpg

My Dad was born here. Bunkers Hill off West Street. Demolished in 1933 the family was then sent to Whitehawk. In 1940 he went off to fight the Germans, leaving his MG outside and some tard nicked the wheels off it. Nothing changes.:shrug:

The old platform on the extreme right of the station which used to be the train for Lewes, last one on a Saturday was something like 16 minutes past midnight and occasionally BR tossers would say that because it was past midnight getting that train didn't constitute a day return!!

I thought services extending into the early hours always counted as the same day. I never had trouble presenting my cheap day return ticket on the last train back to West Worthing from Brighton in the late 1970s (01.33?)

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Yes - not amongst other shops, and not in a trading estate like nowadays. Can't remember what I bought there though... certainly wasn't a DVD player, a PC, a DAB radio etc etc :lolol:

I splashed out on a Spectrum ZX (or somthing like). A smart new computer, in black, and you'd sit and follow ours of instructions to enter a programme that would make a spinning ball or other such random things happen.

Cost me a couple of hundred £, much more than I could afford.

Weatherman

Jun 10, 2008
The Embassy Cinema in Western Road. In the early 80s all the films they showed had been at the Odeon 6-12 months before and the seats were falling apart (arms broken and springs poking through the seat covers).

embassy1.gif

Also have fond memories of Gamleys toyshop in Church Road and only a few doors away, Combridges (not a mis-type) bookshop.

Saw emmanuelle there.

D

Deleted User X18H

Waht about the Subway from Trafalgar Sreet to The Statiuon and the Barbers within and the smelly Toilets. I thought they were going to reopen that is definatley still there somwhere!!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
So, is it Kemptown or Kemp Town? Don't sit on the fence!

It's neither. The Constant Service is Hanover

Also anyone remember in the 70's the silver mobile shop that used to go thru Moulsecoomb every morning? in the evening we used to get a bakers van called 'Day-Jan' and in the summer we had an ice cream man called Joey

I lived in Moulsecoomb throughout the 70s and I have no recollection of any mobile shops or baker's vans - were they regular?

I do remember the Moulsecoomb adventure playground, until it was taken away after one too many fractures.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here