Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Completely RANDOM things about Brighton & Hove...

BeardyChops

Jan 24, 2009
Take the last part of the URL, in this case the "CCo1Ffn9_u8" and sandwich it in between the novocode (yt)...(/yt) substituting the parenthesis with [] these ones.

Thanks!

The "rocket" at Hollingbury park. Which was a rocket shaped climbing frame. Opp Varndean.

Its still called the rocket park by most people even tho the rocket disappeared in the early 80s.

Indeed there is even a tribute, in the rubber tarmac (or whatever it is) is a picture of a rocket.

Or the swing boat (that's what we called in anyway) in the Lagoon? Lethal thing if you were standing in the way of it.

And when did the sweet shop at the bottom of Wish Park disappear?

Jahooli

Feb 12, 2008
Williams & Glyn Bank at the bottom of St James Street.

There was a record shop next door where I bought most of my singles in or around 1980-1982. I remember buying Town Called Malice, Parties Fears Two and Poison Arrow there amongst other things. Can't remember its name.

Is Swifts Sports still there on the Old Steine?

There was Tilbury Gig...sort of near where Starbucks are trying to be...83-ish
bought Our Favourite Shop there...might have been 84.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
The sort of place where you get served with dignity by someone with knowledge, charm and appreciation, not some itinerant, knuckle-dragging, thumb-up-the-bum-and-brain-in-neutral, knock-off nylon Man U shirt wearing, Cro-Magnon throwback...?

aaah

now those WERE the days :thumbsup:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
The sort of place where you get served with dignity by someone with knowledge, charm and appreciation, not some itinerant, knuckle-dragging, thumb-up-the-bum-and-brain-in-neutral, knock-off nylon Man U shirt wearing, Cro-Magnon throwback...?

Exactly and the sort of sports shop that if you needed something for an "obscure" or minority sport could get it for you.

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
Nearly. It's still there on Grand Parade, opposite bottom of North Road.

As I haven't been in Brighton itself for about 9 months I couldn't remember the name of that area - I think of it as the North bit of the Old Steine!
Probably the last "proper" sports shop in Brighton. Im not including JJB and Sports Soccer etc

I wonder if they are still the suppliers of the Scout uniforms as well??

I can just about remember getting stuff for the cubs there back in the day! I was in the Westdene cubs. Can't remember their number. A proper sports shop, indeed. Lst thing I bought in there was the Scotland 1986 World Cup strip!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Uncle Sams at the top of West Street.

There was also record shop over the road where I bought Thomas Dolby's Hyperactive on 7inch single.

Jahooli

Feb 12, 2008

There was also record shop over the road where I bought Thomas Dolby's Hyperactive on 7inch single.

And Grubbs at the bottom-ish...ahh what a choice!

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Good call. But WHY did they used to mutter an abbreviated rendition of whatever you'd ordered into a little Tom Jones Show-style microphone? It wasn't just in order to prompt whoever was on cooking duty round the back to get busy, because they used to do it even when the serving people then went and cooked it themselves.

"Could I have a double bluecheese burger and fries please?"
"onedblbluechizfrize"
"And a chocolate shake"
"chosheik"

Disconcerting.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Good call. But WHY did they used to mutter an abbreviated rendition of of whatever you'd ordered into a little Tom Jones Show-style microphone? It wasn't just in order to prompt whoever was on cooking duty round the back to get busy, because they used to do it even when the serving people then went and cooked it themselves.

"Could I have a double bluecheese burger and fries please?"
"onedblbluechizfrize"
"And a chocolate shake"
"chosheik"

Disconcerting.

Yes indeed it was, considering the Montpelier Road one didnt I seem to recall...which is still there to this day!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
And Grubbs at the bottom-ish...ahh what a choice!

The NELLIE PECK in West Street

And loads more arcades than there are now, there was a big one where the Walkabout is now for example.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere

Come on...your shop wasn't THAT bad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here