Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Completely RANDOM things about Brighton & Hove...

BeardyChops

Jan 24, 2009
Wasn't there a record shop on the Quadrant too? I seem to remember seeing the Never Mind the Bollocks posters there, initially with parts covered up.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
02025.jpg

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Ah, Maccabi cricket club

At least two members of NSC played for Maccabi - and I was one of them - it was a pretty good team to play for. There were a couple of Markses but there also seemed to be a lot of guys called Panto too. There were also a few guys called De Freitas too.

Dave Panto joined Kemp Town CC from Maccabi. He was a really nice bloke, but huge, even at a young age.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
was there a steam engine graveyard just outside brighton station on the right before preston park? there until the mid 80's i believe?
I remember them too. There was a load of them in the area in front of that Cliff just outside Brighton Station. Theres still a holding area there if memory serves.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Also remember people smoking in the Odeon, think the smoking areas were to the side.

And the Public Information or Documentaries before the main feature.

And of course the Pearl and Dean music. Ba ba ba ba ba baaaa ba ba baaa

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Wasn't there a record shop on the Quadrant too? I seem to remember seeing the Never Mind the Bollocks posters there, initially with parts covered up.

You mean apart from the Virgin shop opposite?

I remember Fine Records in Brighton Square - that was the place that I used to buy most of mine. They had a particularly good reggae selection. The people there were also amazingly tolerant of herberts hanging around all day but buying very little.

There was also the shortlived record shop in Waterloo Place in Hove run by Kaz from Fine Records. He used to offer massive discounts to his regulars and not surprisingly went bust after a few months.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
The "rocket" at Hollingbury park. Which was a rocket shaped climbing frame. Opp Varndean.

Its still called the rocket park by most people even tho the rocket disappeared in the early 80s.

Indeed there is even a tribute, in the rubber tarmac (or whatever it is) is a picture of a rocket.

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
Williams & Glyn Bank at the bottom of St James Street.

There was a record shop next door where I bought most of my singles in or around 1980-1982. I remember buying Town Called Malice, Parties Fears Two and Poison Arrow there amongst other things. Can't remember its name.

Is Swifts Sports still there on the Old Steine?

BeardyChops

Jan 24, 2009
You mean apart from the Virgin shop opposite?

I remember Fine Records in Brighton Square - that was the place that I used to buy most of mine. They had a particularly good reggae selection. The people there were also amazingly tolerant of herberts hanging around all day but buying very little.

Yes - but after Virgin had gone.

Fine Records was indeed one of the best.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
The William Tell in Queens Road, it usually used to kick off in there on Saturday nights.
Then finish up in The Bonanza at the top of Queens Road, which was a bit like a Wimpey.
Then fun and games on the last train back to Shoreham!

Happy days.

:clap2:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Nearly. It's still there on Grand Parade, opposite bottom of North Road.

Probably the last "proper" sports shop in Brighton. Im not including JJB and Sports Soccer etc

I wonder if they are still the suppliers of the Scout uniforms as well??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here