Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Comparing Falmer to other recently built stadia...

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
:smile: I missed out the word "features" in my original post.

Don't get me wrong, Falmer is going to be MINT, but it's not exactly going to be totally unique as some make out, and chances are another team will knock up plans for a similar ground once it opens.

S'alright...I missed the command to add images rather than URLs to mine.

I have only been to The Reebok out of your list...if Falmer is 1/2 as good in terms of facilities I wont complain.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Is the above the most up to date mock up of how our completed stadium will look?

EastbourneGull

Oct 1, 2008
Doesn't the stadium cost amount to £60 million - the other £30 million is for the road improvements paid for be SEEDA :shrug:

SEEDA funded road works was nothing like that - £5+ million if my memory serves me correctly. Buckinghams quoted the contract as being worth £60+ million. The £90 million quoted by the club is an all embracing figure which covers for instance all legal costs incurred throughout the protracted planning process. I should imagine also that Buckinghams work finishes when they hand over the basic 'shell' of the stadium. The fittings and fixtures will cost millions too.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
SEEDA funded road works was nothing like that - £5+ million if my memory serves me correctly. Buckinghams quoted the contract as being worth £60+ million. The £90 million quoted by the club is an all embracing figure which covers for instance all legal costs incurred throughout the protracted planning process. I should imagine also that Buckinghams work finishes when they hand over the basic 'shell' of the stadium. The fittings and fixtures will cost millions too.

Ok cheers - that's where I got the £60 million figure from then.

EastbourneGull

Oct 1, 2008
Reebok Stadium has certain similarities to Falmer - particularly our West Stand.

But how I envy their floodlight pylons. I've always loved the sight of floodlights, but not those strung along the roofs of stands. Does anyone else miss this fast disappearing feature on the urban landscape?

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Sunderland..............23m!! bargain....were getting stitched up!

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Heart warmingly good news as I scrolled the stadium pictures as I began to realise how so many of them had been lower league clubs for years (>15-20 years ago) but now are standard Prem or championship (St Mary's excepted).

So my question is: did they build the stadium on the success they had already achieved (to meet demand) or did the new stadium have a key influence on the sucess that followed?

Granted there will always be special examples (e.g. don't think Darlo has been a great success) but if you take the general trend, is Falmer the missing ingredient to turn us into a Wigan / Hull / Derby / Reading / Wolves type club that can live in the Prem?

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I take it you are being a bit light-hearted with that comment, 23 million in 1997 is clearly not the same as in 2009.

I was actually,but saying that it seems good value for the size of the stadium.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Good value maybe, but you have to go to Sunderland to visit it. Which is a major downer.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
I cannot express how happy I am that Falmer does not look like ALL the others.

flicking through that list ofpictures made me feel teh same! Bar Bolton, maybe the KC, the new nottingham one, they all look the same, riverside, walkers, st marys, maybe the richo (take of that side bit) all are exactly the same!

Roll on unique falmer!:clap2:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I was actually,but saying that it seems good value for the size of the stadium.

I think you are spot on actually, and from what I can gather (not actually having been there) that the brick finish on the ground looks better than the bare-metal finish on similar design grounds like St Marys and the Walkers Stadium.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Madejski, MK, St Marys, Cardiff and Liberty are all the same ground. A lifeless, characterless bowl with no atmosphere, really.
So glad our ground is something out of the ordinary.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Madejski, MK, St Marys, Cardiff and Liberty are all the same ground. A lifeless, characterless bowl with no atmosphere, really.
So glad our ground is something out of the ordinary.

when I watch Exiles at the Maj, the atmosphere is terrific.

Its not the ground, its the people in it!

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
when I watch Exiles at the Maj, the atmosphere is terrific.

Its not the ground, its the people in it!

Ive seen London Irish once at the Mad Stad, like 3 years ago on boxing day against London Wasps and it was truly shocking!
Not a mad rugby bloke myself though to be fair.

Reading had a better atmosphere at Elm Park than at Madejski by a long long way. It's all "propa nawty" kids in the east stand jipping off the away fans and thats it.

Just hope we can recapture even a bit of the Goldstones atmosphere.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here