Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Compare & Contrast: The Reign Of Wilkins vs. The Reign Of McGhee

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Seagullible said:
you serious? McGhoo had lost the plot. I will congratulate him for getting us up through the play off's but NEVER liked his style of play and felt he thought of himself as bigger than the club. Plus I'll also add he continually tried to play the wrong tactics with the players constantly saying we needed a big target man and moaning that none were right instead of changing his tactics to suit the players we have which Wilkins has done. Notice how we use wide men better and are scoring goals something we found hard under MM

I cannot argue the fact that Wilkins team is playing much better football than McGhee's team, but I do believe that McGhee would have got us promoted this season albeit playing unattractive football. I think it's imperative for the club to be succesful this season with the Falmer saga still ongoing so to me attractive football isn't a neccessity where as success is. At the moment I'm delighted to say that Wilkins is doing both - playing attractive and productive football, long may it continue because it needs to.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
We are no longer searching for a 'Target Man' which as the weeks dragged on seemed to be McGhee only excuse for each and every result/bad performance. Since he has gone Wilkins has seen where we needed players and gone out and got them (granted only on loan but he was tied by the transfer deadline).

Arrid

Jul 26, 2004
chez said:
I'm the same but I thought McGhee would have got us promoted so thats what I'm looking for from Wilkins.

Well you know absolutely jack shit about football then!

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
IMO I couldn't care less about performances, Id rather have the points. As said before Wilkins is doing both so long may it continue.

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
The whole target man debate has gone very quiet and I'm not MM's biggest fan by a long way but could that be because he signed revell to play that role and he's now doing it successfully under wilkins?

jakes right boot

Jul 29, 2006
The test might well be in January if our best players are sold off and none bought again because the board have no money. We keep being told there is money to spend but will it be spent?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Re: Re: Compare & Contrast: The Reign Of Wilkins vs. The Reign Of McGhee

Barrel of Fun said:
1. The substitutions happened in the Championship against teams with vast budgets, with which we couldn't compete!

2. Ditto.

3. Ditto.

4. I am very happy with Wilkins, but McGHee come in for a lot of unnecessary stick. He tried his hardest and we finished our highest for a long time having lost our backbone of the team.

:wave:
Such a weak excuse.

1. How does our oppositions budget excuse tactical ineptitude and just plain stupid team selection?

2. On this one you have a point, the team needed strengthening because we were in a higher division, as this team would if it were to go up. That said our failures in the transfer market over the last year and a half under McGhee were still awful. The ridiculous notion that signing a "target man" was some magical panacea that would transform our side was proved wrong when McGhee finally managed to get one, Noel-Williams helped our attacking play but failed to cover up the glaring deffiencies in other areas.

3. So, because the teams we are playing against have more money than us, that makes it ok for the manager to stand motionless and silent on the side line while watching his team, and only shout at the people who pay his wages ? I will always remember when some bloke shouted "he's clearly injured" and McGhee turning round and asking "who". :lolol: It was Guy Butters and if I remember correctly he was substituted shortly afterwards. :lolol:

McGhee did a good job in his first two seasons (although I don't think you can compare his record in Division Two to Deano's in League One, the squad he inherited and the position it was in was totally different) he completely lost the plot, last season was awful as was the start of this, the players didn't believe in him, the fans didn't believe in him, he was only taking us out of this division one way and that wasn't up. The only mistake was keeping him on too long.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
larus said:
I have to agree.

I always supported McGhee, but in the end I felt something wasn't right. Either the players weren't up to it, or the tactics or the relationship with the manager.

I am big enough to admit that it was the right thing for McGhee to leave. For a minute, let's forget the results on the pitch. Look at the way that certain players have improved and the manner in which we are playing. We are exciting to watch (OK, we'll have the odd bad day), but the football is more enjoyable. The team spirit appears to be better, and the confidence amongst the team seems better. Whether we go up or not this year is not the most important thing; we need to retain this squad. This is the basis for a successful team for the future.

However, for those that say McGhee was crap, that is frankly bulls**t. He got us promoted, kept us up against the odds the first season, had players sold that he would have rather kept, and was competing at a higher level than DW is, against bigger clubs with bigger budgets and decent facilities which may help attract players.

Totally dismissing what McGhee achieved just shows certain posters to be either stupid or ignorant. How can they expect other posters to listen to their point of view, when they are so myopic?

Yep saves me typing all that out. All I will add is that it was time for Mcghee to go.

Its also a bit early to compare Wilkins 20 odd games with Mcghees 2 and a bit seasons!!!

Mustela Furo

Advantage Player
Jul 7, 2003
sir danny cullip said:
The whole target man debate has gone very quiet and I'm not MM's biggest fan by a long way but could that be because he signed revell to play that role

Yep - great spot by Dean White that was ;)

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Re: Re: Re: Compare & Contrast: The Reign Of Wilkins vs. The Reign Of McGhee

Tom Hark said:
4. London Irish doesn't have to spend all his Saturday nights on NSC vainly trying to defend the indefensible :lol:
:lolol:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I know it's early doors/late windows (and similar Big Ron speak) but anyone else reckon Deano could become a Dario Gradi type figure and end up managing this club for the very long term. He's BHA through and through, has done wonders at youth and now senior level with crap facilities/budget etc. and I for one would forgive him any number of relegations for his last minute free kick in 1990.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Silent Bob said:
I will always remember when some bloke shouted "he's clearly injured" and McGhee turning round and asking "who". :lolol: It was Guy Butters and if I remember correctly he was substituted shortly afterwards. :lolol:

That was me!! :lolol:

I offered other tactical advice as well but he didn't take any notice of that.

Last edited:

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
sir danny cullip said:
The whole target man debate has gone very quiet and I'm not MM's biggest fan by a long way but could that be because he signed revell to play that role and he's now doing it successfully under wilkins?

Yes, odd that!

McGhee gets us a target man from non-league who has an excellent scoring record the previous season. So what does he do? Play him wide right.

Wilkins clearly believes that it's a good idea to play a goal-scoring striker in a striker's role. Result .... plenty of goals!!

Conclusion .... Wilkins is blessed with common sense ... McGhee ...???

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Re: Re: Re: Re: Compare & Contrast: The Reign Of Wilkins vs. The Reign Of McGhee

Commander said:
That was me!! :lolol:

I offered other tactical advice as well but he didn't take any notice of that.
Excellent. :clap2: :clap2:

Maybe if he had listened to you more he might still be in charge.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Compare and contrast? Against Northwich we won 8-0 under Wilkins. Under McGhee we'd have shut up shop at 2-0 and nervously progressed 2-1 or via a replay if at all.

EDIT - because Wilkins plays to win games and McGhee played not to lose them.

Last edited:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

Silent Bob said:
Such a weak excuse.......

I was clutching at straws really. I just get a bit fed up when people are very quick to carry out a character assasination on the poor guy, when he was trying his hardest, plus it is almost impossible to compare their tenures - certainly because Wilkins has only just begun and he is in a lower league.

The main point I wanted to get across was that we were going to have a turbulant time in the Championship and there is bound to be unrest when the club is freefalling. I honestly can't imagine any manager could have kept us in the league having lost Currie/Cullip/Virgo with little/no funds to replace them.

Anyway - more than happy with Wilkins and it is nice to have a young(ish) manager with new ideas and that bleeds the bue and white of Brighton.

NB This is the last I will ever say on the McGhee front. I am boring myself!

:clap2:

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
goldstone said:
Yes, odd that!

McGhee gets us a target man from non-league who has an excellent scoring record the previous season. So what does he do? Play him wide right.

Wilkins clearly believes that it's a good idea to play a goal-scoring striker in a striker's role. Result .... plenty of goals!!

Conclusion .... Wilkins is blessed with common sense ... McGhee ...???

To be fair though the way MM played Revell against Rotherham worked a treat against their extremely small left back. Revell won everything in the air and caused real problems. I personally would have moved him into the middle about 2 weeks after that game which MM didnt but I can see (unlike many of his decisions) where he was coming from with that one!

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
Citrus in Sheffield said:
Exactly, everyone seems very quick to jump on the 'McGhee was shite' bandwagon, he achieved some great things with us. If McGhee's achievements can be mirrored or improved upon by Wilkins, I'll be delighted.
ditto,
i will never forget what mark done with hands tied,deano,well wont comment til season has finished.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
sir danny cullip said:
To be fair though the way MM played Revell against Rotherham worked a treat against their extremely small left back. Revell won everything in the air and caused real problems. I personally would have moved him into the middle about 2 weeks after that game which MM didnt but I can see (unlike many of his decisions) where he was coming from with that one!
and remind us who signed him,and how many moaned at the time

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here