Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Compare & Contrast: The Reign Of Wilkins vs. The Reign Of McGhee

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Tom, this is a shìte thread. Let's see how Wilkins fares in 2 years time.

Everyone know's McGhee's strengths and weaknesses:
For:
Got us promoted
Adam Virgo - played up front, earnt us £1.25m
Kept us up for a full season
We were about mid table in this league when he left

Against:
The promotion was jammy
Players out of position went tits-up
The football was shite by the time he left
He fell out with too many players, affecting morale.

I'll BET that we have a lot worse managers than McGhee in the next decade or so. But you can't compare Wilkins - he's only been in charge 5 minutes and anyway, the initial circumstances of his employment were totally different.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Simster said:

For:
Got us promoted

Against:
The promotion was jammy

I'll BET that we have a lot worse managers than McGhee in the next decade or so. But you can't compare Wilkins - he's only been in charge 5 minutes and anyway, the initial circumstances of his employment were totally different.

Thats not exactly how I would make my points but I wholeheartedly agree with Simster.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Guinness Boy said:
Compare and contrast? Against Northwich we won 8-0 under Wilkins. Under McGhee we'd have shut up shop at 2-0 and nervously progressed 2-1 or via a replay if at all.

EDIT - because Wilkins plays to win games and McGhee played not to lose them.

Thats a bit unfair isn't. How can you say that a McGhee team wouldnt have won it 11-0? You cant say "because McGhee teams never did that" because neither have Wendy's since, or before for that matter. Not a dig at Wendy but that match was a one off.

Every argument or critism about McGhee is now hypothetical and totally pointless.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
chez said:
I cannot argue the fact that Wilkins team is playing much better football than McGhee's team, but I do believe that McGhee would have got us promoted this season albeit playing unattractive football.

And I do believe that McGhee would have got us relegated this season. The players didn't seem to be enjoying their football, we barely attempted a shot on goal, and I've rarely heard a manager so dispirited as McGhee after the away defeat to Bristol City - on 2nd September, six - SIX! - League games into the bloody season.

No way were we going up under Mcghee this season. We were going DOWN.

chez

Jul 5, 2003
Tom Hark said:
And I do believe that McGhee would have got us relegated this season. The players didn't seem to be enjoying their football, we barely attempted a shot on goal, and I've rarely heard a manager so dispirited as McGhee after the away defeat to Bristol City - on 2nd September, six - SIX! - League games into the bloody season.

I think you are way off the mark. Theres no doubt he sounded dispirited, but IMO that was because we had lost 3 league games on the trot and that is something that was very rare from a McGhee team in this division. That just showed to me that he had very high expectations and was gutted at losing 3 league games on the trot, even though 2 of them are the hardest games of the season (forest away & bristol city away). IMO, and this obviously can never be proved he would have improved the team from that moment and we would be in a play off position at least at the moment.

He's gone now though so all these attacks at him are pointless and just stike up bad feeling between fellow fans. The fans are 100% behind Wendy now and hopefully he will provide us with a team that will make it impossible to lose faith in him.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Simster said:

For:
Got us promoted

Against:
The promotion was jammy

Fair point. My fault. The thread I had in mind was more to do with comparing the grim siege mentality that had set in on the field by September 2006 and the complete turnaround that exists now, a mere three months later. I just mangled the thread title through nobody's fault but mine. I KNOW McGhee got us promoted - tho nobody was more gobsmacked than McGhee at THAT - but I didn't intend to slag off his entire regime. Just wanted to compare the mood in September :( with the mood now :) .

Astounding turnaround by anybody's reckoning.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
chez said:
yeah too right, we should have sacked him before he got us promoted against all the odds.

Stupid post of the year award goes to Ringo. :dunce:

Hows that then?

He took on a decent side from Coppel and still f***ed us up. We were lucky, but credit to him he got us up.. we should have sacked him before he got us relegated with the most derrange team sheets/subsitutions I've ever seen.

Stupid post goes of the year award goes to chez :dunce:

Re: Re: Re: Compare & Contrast: The Reign Of Wilkins vs. The Reign Of McGhee

Silent Bob said:
although I don't think you can compare his record in Division Two to Deano's in League One

No, we had better not, because it would undermine virtually everything you say, wouldn't it? :lolol:

Tom Hark said:

I guess you never saw the ten men get victory at Millmoor this season, clearly a relegation performance :D

chez

Jul 5, 2003
Ringo said:
Hows that then?

He took on a decent side from Coppel and still f***ed us up. We were lucky, but credit to him he got us up.. we should have sacked him before he got us relegated with the most derrange team sheets/subsitutions I've ever seen.

Stupid post goes of the year award goes to chez :dunce:

I very much doubt any manager in the country would have been able to keep us up last season. He inherited a half decent 1st division team from copout and turned them into a promotion team. He did make a few strange substitutions last season but I believe that was in an effort to unearth a jewel very much like he did when he played Virgo out of position. Didnt see too many people moaning about his strange tactics then did we.

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis
As has been stated, mcghee Got us up (and added his own players to coppels team), kept us up against the odds, and the suffered an inevitable relegation last season. Wendy has made a great start, but you cant compare the two at the mo. Wait till wilkins has been here as long as Mcghee then we will judge him.

Last edited:

Beeercan

Jul 14, 2005
Colchester
All i can say is under McGhee i didn't like the way we played, we would camp on our 18yrd line, and thump the ball foreward to whatever inept "Target Man" we played (McCammon, Turienzo, Molango, Noel-Williams to a certain degree). it was neither attractive, appealing or got the job done. This type of football can work, (look at Bolton) but i didn't like it.

Where as under Wilkins i like the way we play, we seem to attack with the pace and skill of players, young and Naiive they may be, but will f***ing give there blood and guts for a manager who has been like a footballing "father figure" to them (Cox, Robinson, Fraser, Hammond etc...). It's attractive and and entertaining and gets the job done (10wins in 13), but nevertherless we still have our off days (Doncaster, Blackpool etc...) but this can be a team young and inexperianced.

McGhee had his strong points, but so far what we have seen is that Wilkins not only commands respect from the players, not evident from McGhee's time (Kinght, Kazim-Richards etc...) but they would do anything for a manger who believes in them.

This season players from the youth teams of Wilkins have shone, Cox and Robinson are prime examples. Last season Jake would get 5 mins at the end of the game when were chasing a match, and thus had no time or chance to show his main attributes. Now he is confident and is a very influential player for us.

Anyway, isn't it time to put this debate behind us, Mark McGhee is part of our history, Wilkins in the present. Lets not linger in the past, but look forward to a brighter future with Wilkins and his youngsters.

Nuff Said

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Guinness Boy said:
Compare and contrast? Against Northwich we won 8-0 under Wilkins. Under McGhee we'd have shut up shop at 2-0 and nervously progressed 2-1 or via a replay if at all.

Any evidence for that?

Beeercan said:
All i can say is under McGhee i didn't like the way we played, we would camp on our 18yrd line, and thump the ball foreward to whatever inept "Target Man" we played (McCammon, Turienzo, Molango, Noel-Williams to a certain degree). it was neither attractive, appealing or got the job done. This type of football can work, (look at Bolton) but i didn't like it.

Way too simplistic. McGhee tried all manner of styles, targetman, the 4 midgets (Jake, Knight, Jarrett, Carole) up front, all to try and eek out results in the Championship. The reality is no style was good enough, defensive or attacking, because the players weren't good enough to keep us up.

Anyone who believes the current players who lose to the likes of McCammon at Donny would also fare any better in the Championship needs to take a reality check. We are a mid-table League 1 team.

Da Man Clay said:
Any evidence for that?

It doesn't matter if there was, the likes of Northwich are not a meaningful test about how we would fare against Cardiff, Derby, Preston etc

Beeercan

Jul 14, 2005
Colchester
London Irish said:
Way too simplistic. McGhee tried all manner of styles, targetman, the 4 midgets (Jake, Knight, Jarrett, Carole) up front, all to try and eek out results in the Championship. The reality is no style was good enough, defensive or attacking, because the players weren't good enough to keep us up.

Anyone who believes the current players who lose to the likes of McCammon at Donny would also fare any better in the Championship needs to take a reality check. We are a mid-table League 1 team.

I know, the players we had and the results showed us we were the Worst team in the league. For that you cannot blame the manager, but when he has lost the dressing room and the fans, thats it for them. No choice really in my opinion, he Had to go.

BUT CAN WE PUT McGHEE BEHIND US PLEASE!!!!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
DK is a genius or a very lucky man, another seamless change of manager achieved.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here