Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Commute home from LONDON tonight

Dalos

Mar 2, 2009
Point I'm making though,isn't that you should have known-obviously many people wouldn't have despite the warnings-it's more a moan of the tossers I saw today and a prediction of worse to come.One bloke who is probably normally a nice enough bloke threw a barrier out the way and into my leg.When I asked what he was doing he told me to shut up, and that it's a joke.Only when I threatened to rip his throat out did he scurry off for his train

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
My wife's travelling home from Birmingam tonight, leaving there at 6pm, should she avoid going to LB or CC to get the train to Battle and come home via Victoria then

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
To be fair,why would you need to know if going to Farringdon-I'm assuming you stay on as it goes through London Bridge.

They have been announcing it the Evening Standard over the past few weeks, and they did last night as well as the metro and I've had a flyer shoved in my face every day over the past week or so reminding you.Finally it's been in the front page of the southern website for weeks now and tfl

Oh right, if it only affects LB then that would explain it. Also I don't usually pick up the freebie papers, nor frequent the Southern or TFL websites (too busy refreshing NSC for transfer rumours). Definitely agree about people acting like tossers, though. Absolutely no need for it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What rose tinted spectacles ?

The ones which make you see England past as a wonderful and immigrant free country.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Wasn't that bad - went through it just before 5.30.

Out of tube, out onto Tooley Street, turn left, go back up the ramp and in through the main entrance of the mainline station. Adds on a good 5 mins, but most people were being divs and moaning, rather than just walking. It has been advertised for a while, and leaflets handed out in the mornings/evenings.

No drama.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Seemed a bit chaotic to me when I went through at 540 ish. Commuters all know where they are going but it'll be full of day visitors who won't have a clue when the events start - the clueless staff do not give me confidence

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Crowd control conditions, closed ticket barriers and such like.

If they were serious about it they should have had Police dog handlers using their dogs to control the crowds in case situations got heated.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Point I'm making though,isn't that you should have known-obviously many people wouldn't have despite the warnings-it's more a moan of the tossers I saw today and a prediction of worse to come.One bloke who is probably normally a nice enough bloke

I'll accept your judgement this chap is probably normally a nice bloke.

threw a barrier out the way and into my leg.When I asked what he was doing he told me to shut up, and that it's a joke.Only when I threatened to rip his throat out did he scurry off for his train

You on the other hand.....

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
No problems at all went through at 5 and it was better than normal, although I can understand the simpler folk travelling to the likes of Norwood Junction and Croydon getting confused.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
No problems at all went through at 5 and it was better than normal, although I can understand the simpler folk travelling to the likes of Norwood Junction and Croydon getting confused.

Yup, I was there by 4:45, no issue, walked straight through. Made me use the new front door for the first time.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
It was a complete waste of time. The only things they've have learnt from that is that their staff are useless and commuters aren't going to be put out by this.

I got to the station at 17:45 followed everyone else past the station staff who just stood there saying nothing, went through my normal door which was a exit only lane and on to the platform straight away.

As others have said it was quieter than normal, I assume because people either left early or worked late.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
It was a complete waste of time. The only things they've have learnt from that is that their staff are useless and commuters aren't going to be put out by this.

I got to the station at 17:45 followed everyone else past the station staff who just stood there saying nothing, went through my normal door which was a exit only lane and on to the platform straight away.

As others have said it was quieter than normal, I assume because people either left early or worked late.

It was certainly busier at 4:45 than normal. I don't think anyone really knew what to expect. I've been wondering, when the real thing comes, how many extra people will there be ? Presumably it will differ day by day depending on what events are on, and whereabouts they are in the city. Also, they won't all be on at the same time. I guess those numbers going to the main stadium, will be roughly the same every day.

My current thinking is to try it on the Mon and see how bad it is, and maybe work at home after that if it that bad.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Point I'm making though,isn't that you should have known-obviously many people wouldn't have despite the warnings-it's more a moan of the tossers I saw today and a prediction of worse to come.One bloke who is probably normally a nice enough bloke threw a barrier out the way and into my leg.When I asked what he was doing he told me to shut up, and that it's a joke.Only when I threatened to rip his throat out did he scurry off for his train
course you did :lolol:

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
My current thinking is to try it on the Mon and see how bad it is, and maybe work at home after that if it that bad.

That might not be the best plan......the first Monday there is something on in Greenwich (Equestrian maybe?) and they expect that to be busiest LB mainline will be over the two weeks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here