Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Common everyday misconceptions that drive you mad

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Didn't drive me mad but in New Zealand I was asked if the beer I was going to have would be OK, because 'You like it warm over there'.

Obviously not aware of all the lagers that dominate pubs nowadays!

This is something that drives me MAD.

Brits do not like warm beer. Beer, even our natives ales, should NEVER be served warm.

They should be served at cellar temperature, which means cool, but not chilled like a lager. Any pub which does otherwise knows nothing about how to store and serve cask beer.

Another thing. Let's stop this nonsense that "British people love to queue". No, we don't LOVE to queue, we just know it's politer and more democratic than everyone bundling on to a bus, through a turnstile or towards a cashier.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
More of an epiphany pour moi, thus...

I used to work in engineering, and would see lists of parts along the lines of...

Engine mounts, 6 off

Wheel bearings, 8 off

Etc.

Now, having read a lot of posts on NSC, and seeing people mix up 'off' and 'of', it has dawned on me it should be:

Engine mounts, 6 of

Wheel bearings, 8 of

As they say, you learn something new every day :smile:

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
This. Common misconception. Take note all you spongers.

I too am a tradesman and get quite irate when I tell someone what trade I do and then automatically they ASSUME I will do their chores at the drop of a hat. f*** right off, I do this job fifty plus hours a week and the last thing I want to do is more of it on my bloody days off. If I was at a social gathering and I met say a dentist, I wouldn't think of opening my gob, sticking a finger in there and slurring on about " Does this tooth look infected to you?" I'd have the decency to politely ask for a business card.

I am a dentist but get this all the bloody time.
The other one i hate is when people find out what I do is then proudly tell me they hate dentists.... Oh that reply makes me happy

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Sorry to bounce, but today this totally happened - in reverse and i thought of this post (which means i need NSC Counciling). IF you're shit at football, you know nothing about it. A chelski fan dared to question how much i knew about football (offside law being the bone of contention - i was right but it stemmed from there as he tried to catch me out). f***ing did my nut because he's really REALLY good, and thought that because i was shit and supported the Albion, i knew nothing of football! :censored:

Lol. Ask him how many games he's been to. That normally weeds them out.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
People that think Java is the same as JavaScript. :wrong:

Mar 29, 2010
Under your skin.
"You do A level English, have you ever wrote a book?"

"You did GCSE German, whats my name in German?"

:rant:

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
More of an epiphany pour moi, thus...

I used to work in engineering, and would see lists of parts along the lines of...

Engine mounts, 6 off

Wheel bearings, 8 off

Etc.

Now, having read a lot of posts on NSC, and seeing people mix up 'off' and 'of', it has dawned on me it should be:

Engine mounts, 6 of

Wheel bearings, 8 of

As they say, you learn something new every day :smile:

That has annoyed me for some time now! Can't get any engineers to agree its wrong though :lol:

Jello

He's Not A Jelly Belly
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
That has annoyed me for some time now! Can't get any engineers to agree its wrong though :lol:

When I done my toolmaking apprenticeship it was taught as 5 off etc. I thought it was off as you would run parts 5 off a lathe or mill. I'm now in CAD design and manufacture and still use off.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
When I done my toolmaking apprenticeship it was taught as 5 off etc. I thought it was off as you would run parts 5 off a lathe or mill. I'm now in CAD design and manufacture and still use off.

THANK YOU for an explaination. even if not true, its somthing. its not just an engineering thing though, seen elsewhere like in stationary cataloges.

HG201

Proud Ruffian
Jul 16, 2008
Birmingham
Oh God yeah - that and the "Well okay you support Brighton but you must surely support a big club as well though"

Definately this! And then the follow up question of "Why do you support Brighton?" or something equally stupid :facepalm:

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
"You do A level English, have you ever wrote a book?"

"You did GCSE German, whats my name in German?"

:rant:

You take computing, why does xxxxx not work

like i'm going to KNOW WHY EVERY SINGLE f***ing ISSUE WITH A COMPUTER ARISES
you take computing, whats your wow-thingy called? what is it? What is wow? I f***ing HATE MMOPRGS AS IT HAPPENS
you take computing... but like football? odd. NO ITS CALLED NOT BEING A BORING **** f*** OFF.

I hate everything tonight. f*** OFF.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
The kids at withdean who say my name like i'm some kind of freak. every game. make a point of saying my name. What do you want? Why are you here? f*** off to the family stand! It does my nut but theres only two of us, three at most so I just put up with it - its not worth the trouble starting some kind of fight.

Wrong thread, this should be on the annying stuff thread. Oh well. Misconception: those kids who say my name think they're cool. THEY ARENT.

The kids at withdean who say my name like i'm some kind of freak. every game. make a point of saying my name. What do you want? Why are you here? f*** off to the family stand! It does my nut but theres only two of us, three at most so I just put up with it - its not worth the trouble starting some kind of fight.

Wrong thread, this should be on the annying stuff thread. Oh well. Misconception: those kids who say my name think they're cool. THEY ARENT.

Am i missing something, why /how do they know your name?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
You take computing, why does xxxxx not work

like i'm going to KNOW WHY EVERY SINGLE f***ing ISSUE WITH A COMPUTER ARISES
you take computing, whats your wow-thingy called? what is it? What is wow? I f***ing HATE MMOPRGS AS IT HAPPENS
you take computing... but like football? odd. NO ITS CALLED NOT BEING A BORING **** f*** OFF.

I hate everything tonight. f*** OFF.

YES, YES and YES!

You're a web developer....you must use Twitter then, NO I CAN'T STAND IT

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here