Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Come on Gus. It's all becoming far to predictable.....

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
Gus is obviously a good manager, but IMO he is starting to become far to predictable. Yes, I know we are in dream land, yes I know we arethe highest we have been in years, but anyone thinking we could be doing even better?

How many there tonight, upon seeing the triple change coming, predicted the subs? Not hard was it.

He says he picks teams and sets the team up depending on who we are playing, yet picks the same team and sets up the exact same way against Ipswich and Doncaster, and then virtually the same again against Cardiff.

Are these teams so similar that we need to play them the same way?

We have arguabily three of the top ten wingers in the division plus Vicente (what ever the fucks going on there), yet its very rare to see two start the same game, and only seems to play with more than one when we are chasing a game.

What happened to the notation of picking your best team??

To me he pays far to much attention to the oppostion. We have three wingers who scare the shit of full backs, FFS Gus play them, and instead of worrying about how the opposition play, let them worry about us for a change.

In CMS we have one of the most lethal strikers in the league, but we don't play to his strengths, and when he finally brings on the wingers to supply the ammo CMS thrives of, CMS is sitting on the bench.

In short, I know its not cool and I know its not different, but play 4-4- f***ing 2 with CMS up front with Vokes (or Barnes if you really have to which you seem you do) with two from Noone, Buckley and Lua Lua on the wings, and let the opposition worry about us for a change. Because its all becoming far to predictable.

Otherwise what is the point of having CMS, a player who scored most of his goals in and around the six yard box, yet not supply him with changes around that area.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Singing Ay Ay Ashley Ashley Barnes (yee haw!). :albion2: :albion2: :albion2:

(All of your post is fair enough, I just thought I'd get in a pro-Barnes comment early on)

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
tend to agree with pretty much all of that, but you've nailed it early on - we're in dream land, and can't complain.

It's the "what if's" that come out, especially after frustrating performances like tonight - loads of possession but few chances until the subs

Oct 25, 2003
if we were that predictable we wouldn't be doing so well

we're 7th in our first season at this level for several years

we ARE a pretty good team at this level...not amazing, but certainly pretty good

if you'd said to me that we'd get 4 points of cardiff this season back in august i wouldn't believe you

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

we ARE a pretty good team at this level...not amazing, but certainly pretty good

if you'd said to me that we'd get 4 points of cardiff this season back in august i wouldn't believe you

I'm not sure I said it then so here goes.....4points off Cardiff...u r havin a larf

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield

But we did. Because they like, 99% of football teams, cannot cope with fast tricky wingers. So why not play to our strengths. If we didn't have Noone, Buckley and Lua Lua, then I'd agree we would be punching well over our weight in 7th place, but we have them, and a striker that most teams in this division would love to have, but we don't play them. We should have comforably best Millwall, Doncaster and Cardiff with the squad we have. But we got 3 points out them, instead of 9. The only time he played two wingers was against Liverpool, probably one of the last teams we should have gone all attacking at!!!

jackcgull

Feb 1, 2008
Amersham
can't agree. when does gus say he sets up depending on the opposition. we play the same way all the way through the club regardless of who we play. we bossed the game tonight against a very strong defensive team. we should have got something from the first half. defended too deep for the first goal - their first meaningful attack and the second goal was a strike that 9 times out of 10 would fly over (catch it Brez!!!).
overall i think we didn't get the rub tonight - they should've been down to 10 first half etc etc.
a hugely entertaining game with some great players on show and great character not to lose the game

Oct 25, 2003
But we did. Because they like, 99% of football teams, cannot cope with fast tricky wingers. So why not play to our strengths. If we didn't have Noone, Buckley and Lua Lua, then I'd agree we would be punching well over our weight in 7th place, but we have them, and a striker that most teams in this division would love to have, but we don't play them. We should have comforably best Millwall, Doncaster and Cardiff with the squad we have. But we got 3 points out them, instead of 9. The only time he played two wingers was against Liverpool, probably one of the last teams we should have gone all attacking at!!!

perhaps, but then gus is a young manager who is learning all the time....he makes mistakes (and often owns up to it)...i see this year as a bit of an 'experimental' year to get to grips with the division, yes we'll have games where we could've done better, but we've also had some great results this year

on a side note....we must've started with two wingers a few times this year....how well have we done in those games (genuinely interested)

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I agree with a lot of that, with Buckley and Noone we actually have 2 genuine wingers who actually put a real shift in defensively too so 4-4-2 is worth a go.

I think it would unleash CMS to have Vokes or Barnes genuinely upfront with him.

So its definately worth a look for a few games, we are safe and need to let the reins of just a bit to get in the play offs

I dont think we are predictable... teams come to us and are very happy to go away with a point thats how far we have come.
They sit in and say break us down, its not bloody easy, the Championship is an excellent level of football.

Shoreham Beach Seagull

May 6, 2009
Shoreham Beach
on a side note....we must've started with two wingers a few times this year....how well have we done in those games (genuinely interested)

I'd be more interested to see how many points we have won without playing any of the 3 wingers at the club. But he hadn't started Assulin before so hopefully will learn that he hasn't got that pace that Buckley or Lua Lua have and not as direct as Noone. I reckon he would play well in a Barnes sort of role with one of the other 3 on the other wing

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
But you could also say we've drawn 4 out of our last five. So maybe we have become predictable

Three of which, Millwall, Doncaster and Cardiff we are more than good enough to win.

We weren't which is why we drew. Anybody can beat anybody in this division so who are we to be so arrogant, as to say we should win those games? Watford held West Ham to a draw this evening.

Mulderbauer

Feb 23, 2009
I absolutely agree with everything you said Mr Burns.... Poyet has bought these players in - Noone, Buckley, Lua Lau which is a masterstroke and all on fire but he doesnt play them....Dont get it!

If a team sits back and puts 10 behind the ball you need width and pace, go figure we played our best football when he bought 2 wingers on... the whole crowd knew it...

Assulin is quality but from watching him in the last 3 matches I knew he wasnt going to rip down the wing and scare their defenders...he would be great at the top of a diamond.

Heres my team

Brezovan

Reyes El Abd Greer Mattock

Buckley Razak Bridcutt Noone

Assulin/Barnes

CMS

Seek and frigging destroy, that is one awesome team.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
But you could also say we've drawn 4 out of our last five. So maybe we have become predictable

Three of which, Millwall, Doncaster and Cardiff we are more than good enough to win.

Nice result for Millwall on Saturday 3/1away to burnley....didn't Doncaster beat Southampton at home? ...Cardiff...lost on penalties to Liverpool carling cup final....yes we could of beat all three...but all 3 could av beaten us on there day

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here