Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Colston Four Cleared

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
What ARE you prattling on about?

In post #145 I pointed out that I thought the decision set a dangerous precedent and set us on a slippery slope.

I am sticking with that.

Not TOO difficult a concept, or so I thought.

It's called a sense of humour. Try it.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
I see what you're saying.

I'll stick with the 'slippery slope'.
hes-made-you-look-a-right-mug.jpg

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Why does everything have to be a "culture war"? It's thoroughly depressing how pretty much anything these days has to be framed as "woke" (or the opposite, whatever that's called). On the flip side, it's mildly entertaining how easy it is to upset people when something even marginally progressive happens!

It's what people who are losing the argument do.

Anyone seen that complete embarrassment Darren Grimes asking why he can't do the same to the Karl Marx statue?
And by statue, he should have of course said, grave. He's talking about toppling a grave.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
It's what people who are losing the argument do.

Anyone seen that complete embarrassment Darren Grimes asking why he can't do the same to the Karl Marx statue?
And by statue, he should have of course said, grave. He's talking about toppling a grave.

Yes, earlier in this thread. As you can imagine with a Grimes quote, their point was very quickly dismantled and taken to pieces, thus making them look a complete nincompoop.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Yes.

Did the Brighton fans who broke the goalposts to get rid of Archer & Belotti go to prison?

A jury, in a court of law, has found these 4 defendants, not guilty of criminal damage. That is a fact. It hasn’t set a precedent, just a decision based on fact.

Were the Brighton fans charged?

As previously stated I can agree with the sentiment but not the action.

(As I did with the goalposts. The club was skint so that really helped them)

You talk about facts but these defendants went prepared to do damage and did so. This verdict could easily set a precedent for future defence against all sorts of vandalism.

A guilty verdict and zero punishment would, in my opinion, have been a better result.

That, of course, is if anyone is allowed to have a different opinion.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

You talk about facts but these defendants went prepared to do damage and did so. This verdict could easily set a precedent for future defence against all sorts of vandalism.

A guilty verdict and zero punishment would, in my opinion, have been a better result.

Agreed. Not sure why this is such a controversial view

Nothing wrong with moving it to a museum/putting something up with his history of being a slaver

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
How do you stick on a slippery slope? Surely you slip?

:facepalm:

In post #145 I pointed out that I thought the decision set a dangerous precedent and set us on a slippery slope.

I am sticking with that.

PotG, have you seriously got no sense of humour whatsover!? Sarcasm...pull the other one, made yourself a bigger plum than you did first time. :lolol::facepalm:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Verdicts from a jury do not set precedents.

If the prosecution think there has been a mistrial they can appeal the verdict.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Why does everything have to be a "culture war"? It's thoroughly depressing how pretty much anything these days has to be framed as "woke" (or the opposite, whatever that's called). On the flip side, it's mildly entertaining how easy it is to upset people when something even marginally progressive happens!

People are getting very upset! Is it time to review the judicial system?

"MP for Ipswich Tom C Hunt told the Telegraph: "If you've broken the law and committed criminal damage you should be punished. If the jury is a barrier to ensuring they are punished then that needs to be addressed."

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
How do you stick on a slippery slope? Surely you slip?

:facepalm:

I am sticking with that.

Now you've gone and upset him.

I've told you before how some of your posts can be overly aggressive for some of the more delicate posters on here :lolol:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
People are getting very upset! Is it time to review the judicial system?

"MP for Ipswich Tom C Hunt told the Telegraph: "If you've broken the law and committed criminal damage you should be punished. If the jury is a barrier to ensuring they are punished then that needs to be addressed."

Ooohh.

I know this government is trying to throw out judicial reviews because they don't like being held to account.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
PotG, have you seriously got no sense of humour whatsover!? Sarcasm...pull the other one, made yourself a bigger plum than you did first time. :lolol::facepalm:

You do wonder why our resident Tories yearn for an authoritarian state and the erosion of their own democractic power when there's nothing in it for them, simple media manipulation at work.....

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

May as well say it again, just to bang the point home.

Decisions made by a jury CAN'T set a precedent.

That isn't your opinion, it's your misunderstanding.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I feel that the UK needs to somehow draw a line under our colonial past and move on collectively, otherwise issues like this will always arise and divide people.

Some sort of Truth and Reconciliation Commission might be required to do that.

There are street names and statues all over the UK linked to eminent colonialists and generals who conquered, while a significant proportion of our National Trust stately homes were built by wealthy families who profited from slave labour.

Even the world "Commonwealth" still used in the UK today implies the enrichment of the UK via the British Empires and its colonies.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here