Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Colour Change?

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Back on the Cardiff topic - has there actually been any sort of explanation as to why this Malaysian backer has a bee in his bonnet about playing in red rather than blue? Seems a bit random to me.

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
If it were that or risk oblivion (i.e. saying no meant turning down the £100m that built The Amex) then of course the answer would have to be yes.

Another £100m tomorrow? No thanks, we're moving in the right direction already thank you, and I am bloody loving every minute of it.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Back on the Cardiff topic - has there actually been any sort of explanation as to why this Malaysian backer has a bee in his bonnet about playing in red rather than blue? Seems a bit random to me.
Presumably marketing, obviously they are trying to sell Cardiff as the team of Wales, there's been talk about how red is a lucky colour in Malaysia/Asia generally, I don't know if it is that or if it's just people trying to put a lol foreigners angle on it, but maybe it's to do with marketing in Asia as well. All seems a bit misguided in any case. Because it's Cardiff, for one thing.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
It's just a colour, what's so controversial about that? I'll admit to being a traditionalist, but it wouldn't bother me really if we changed our home kit. Might take a bit of getting used to, but as long as our performances don't go down the pan, I'll happily continue supporting the Albion. I remember Man Utd used to play in yellow and green, and Brighton's nickname has been changed a couple of times - hasn't stopped us going from strength to strength.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
£100,000,000 to spend solely on players no holds barred? Yes - be stupid not to...We can always change it back in the future!

Reading the article on the BBC site it says the Malaysians have a £100M investment plan - of which they've already spent £40M and expect to have to pay another £30M to buy out Hammam. That leaves £30M - still a lot of money, but could soon go (especially with them losing £1M a month). They obviously expect to sell loads of red shirts with a dragon logo in the far east. Is it really that simple?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Maybe some NSCers might be able to answer this.

Was there uproar when:
- Albion changed to all white (1970-1 and 1974-5)?
- Albion changed to all blue (1980-1)?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Maybe some NSCers might be able to answer this.

Was there uproar when:
- Albion changed to all white (1970-1 and 1974-5)?
- Albion changed to all blue (1980-1)?
Not quite sure if you're being sarcy or really asking...
I would imagine not, since our kit was still blue and white. A lot of people say they wouldn't mind another kit like that, I agree there's no harm in changing it up a bit. But that's not the Cardiff situation.

Of course some people grumbled about the lighter blue of the 'Argentina' strip. I might not have minded that if the kit was a nicer design.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Probably not,thanks.It's an identity issue,and though it's true we have worn kit other than blue and white stripes,and now have away kit rather than kit worn when there is a clash,I suspect that most of our current support identify with the b & w stripes.

Wasn't there a bit of a furore when we went to solid blue,and a clamour for stripes then ?

Of course,this only matters to the fans.The players probably don't give a damn because in their careers they'll be kissing badges on all sorts of shirts.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
could someone with a bit of IT knowledge do our logo and kit in Red...........just to see how it looks!!

BFTR, I am in the NO camp.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
If the money was just for players then there's no way I'd accept a change of colour/identity for £100m. It would lead to us going into admin for sure.

If it was a stipulation from Bloom before he paid for the stadium then I wouldn't have anywhere near the respect for him but would begrudgingly have to accept it was for the best. Luckily Tony Bloom is a real fan and we'd never be forced to make this decision :bowdown:

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
I would rather we stayed with the stripes. I didn't mind the all blue British Caledonia shirt, but still prefer the stripes. But changing to an all red kit would be a no from me.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
could someone with a bit of IT knowledge do our logo and kit in Red...........just to see how it looks!!

BFTR, I am in the NO camp.

Pretty sure there was an old Santex away kit in red and white, with the badge also those colours.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
In my time as an Albion supporter our first choice kit has been stripes, all blue, solid blue with white sleeves, all white, and back to stripes.
Our change strip has been every colour of the rainbow.

Didn't we start out (as Brighton Rangers?) with a green kit?

Having to change my tattoos would upset me more :lol:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here