Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Colin Hawkins - Not good enough

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Hinsh is the best centre back I have seen play for the club, QUOTE]

You obviously havent been watching BHA very long then, in recent times he is not as good as, Morgan, Cullip, Butters ven when he was at his best prior to his spate of injuries. I wont bother to go back further to the likes of Graham Cross, Norman Gall etc. In fact I would go as far as to say it is debatable as to whether he is as good or better than Adam Virgo at centre back.

I think you forgot to mention Steve Foster and a certain Mr Lawrenson who may in fact have been the best player ever for this team. :bowdown:

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Included in those 'early good games' was the one where he lost us two points by giving away a late penalty AND nearly gifting Southen a goal with an awful backpass - the sort of lapse in concentration people criticise Lynch for.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Included in those 'early good games' was the one where he lost us two points by giving away a late penalty AND nearly gifting Southen a goal with an awful backpass - the sort of lapse in concentration people criticise Lynch for.

It always comes back to Lynch for some people.

If he had ever performed half as well as the mythical standards expounded by his acolytes on NSC, I'd be agreeing with you - but he hasn't.

For me, the crux of the debate goes beyond the current form of Hawkins. Before he kicked a ball for us my thought was that we have El Bad, Lynch and Virgo all vying for the slot alongside Tommy, why do we need this fella? Particularly as those three are all ex-Albion youth and have all played together whereas Hawkins is an undistinguished outsider. To be fair, he started the season in reasonable fashion but it’s clear he is not fully fit and his form is suffering.
So the questions for me are;

1) Why did we allocate some of our limited wage budget on a position where we had plenty of existing options?
2) Are we still a club that promotes it’s youth products after they have fought their way through the system?
3) Why are we playing an injured player?

I’m not worried that we are not in the top 7 in October, but I am worried about the implied answers to these questions.

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008
For me, the crux of the debate goes beyond the current form of Hawkins. Before he kicked a ball for us my thought was that we have El Bad, Lynch and Virgo all vying for the slot alongside Tommy, why do we need this fella? Particularly as those three are all ex-Albion youth and have all played together whereas Hawkins is an undistinguished outsider. To be fair, he started the season in reasonable fashion but it’s clear he is not fully fit and his form is suffering.
So the questions for me are;

1) Why did we allocate some of our limited wage budget on a position where we had plenty of existing options?
2) Are we still a club that promotes it’s youth products after they have fought their way through the system?
3) Why are we playing an injured player?

I’m not worried that we are not in the top 7 in October, but I am worried about the implied answers to these questions.

Firstly, was this deliberate? If so, you've answered your own question. El-Abd is not a good centre back so that rules him out. As far as we're concerned Adams is the man that decress who is good enough to play so he obviously thought we needed a better CB.

Elder for England

Jan 30, 2008
I was watching him really closely last night because so many people have knocked him on here, and it was weird. Alhough he's copped the flak for the goals, he was MUCH more involved than Elphick overall.. winning loads of headers and generally leading the back line.

It would be very wrong to write him off I think..

This has been my point for ages! Even when he's not at his best he still plays ok and when fit is brilliant! I think I just have to face the fact that some players just don't get the approval of some fans (for example the wonderful Murray).

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Went completely missing for the first goal.

Stupidly bundled a bloke over to concede the penalty...his second of the season.

Get rid of the lumbering oaf please Micky. :clap:

On & on & on & on & on...

Here's an idea: maybe our incredibly affluent Board could put in an offer for Rio? He's bound to want to come down - 'specially if he knows that YOU have given him the thumbs up? Then you can come on here & slag off some other Albion player who doesn't get close to the impossibly high standards set by Doug Loft.

Sake.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here