Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Cold light of day - post Potter

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Wish I could show the same generosity of spirit as yourself.
This man has clearly negotiated an exit behind Tony Bloom's back and for some time. These events don't happen this quickly without everything already being in place. It has been planned and ruthlessly executed. Tony Bloom and Thomas Tuchel were totally in the dark, left shocked and devastated. According to reports the ex Chelsea manager was in tears, begging for his job.
Our owner deserved better. We have been stripped bare. Even losing people he inherited.
No goodwill here.

I totally disagree with the "has clearly negotiated an exit behind Tony Bloom's back for some time."

If that were the case, we would not have given Chelsea permission to talk to him and would not have let him go with such good grace. Chelsea might have been plotting it, but not necessarily with GP's connivance.

Remember Dan Ashworth! We don't want him to go, so he's on gardening leave until he sees out his contract.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Having now thought about it. No problem him leaving at or near end of season. However whilst appreciate an attractive offer may not be there then, really good people have principals and that includes under no circumstances leaving Bloom the person who gave you opportunity and looked after you in the poo after just 6 games. And as for taking Bruno and Roberts that is just taking the pee.
Sad thing is this has been going on for sometime. Potter had to put this to 5 others.,They each would discuss with family and terms agreed No way did this happen in 24/48 hours

Thats the ugly truth.

The Rishi Sunak of Brighton.

For all his bull$hit, when the "official" call came, he had no problems in gutting the entire coaching set up and leaving Brighton with nothing all within 48 hours. Brunos history at the club, the Spanish lads, Tony's opportunity and backing all meant nothing.

Leaving is one thing, plotting in advance to fill your pockets with as much as you can grab for your personal advancement on the way out, is shoddy.

Very much this and surprised more people haven't picked up on it. So all the punching the air stuff on the pitch after Leics might conceivable been insincere

I very much disagree with the assumption from a lot of people that GP had been planning this for a long while. Chelsea might have been planning it with GP as their prime target, but if he/they were made an offer they couldn't refuse, not just in terms of money but in being given time to do his job properly, then why wouldn't he do it with a bigger club with better(?) players. he would enjoy/relish the challenge.

Maybe I'm just naive.........

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I very much disagree with the assumption from a lot of people that GP had been planning this for a long while. Chelsea might have been planning it with GP as their prime target, but if he/they were made an offer they couldn't refuse, not just in terms of money but in being given time to do his job properly, then why wouldn't he do it with a bigger club with better(?) players. he would enjoy/relish the challenge.

Maybe I'm just naive.........

Had a chat with one of our, shall I say “big” , ex player today on the phone. He said that this would have been going on for some time, all parties aware. The only shock was the extra two going. I won’t say anymore but Bloom not impressed.

Crofts was so looking forward to taking the team, shame.

Sometimes is best to know which side your bread is buttered. See what I did there?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Very much this and surprised more people haven't picked up on it. So all the punching the air stuff on the pitch after Leics might conceivable been insincere

He is insincere. an emotional vacuum bereft of charisma, very calm calculated, pre planned etc. I wonder how many of the players knew.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
What most people have already said in this thread is completely how I’m feeling right now. I remain numb and now checking my phone every 5 mins for any hints / updates on where we go from here and who will be our new head coach / manager. While we all totally trust TB, I have to confess that I feel completely on edge because this next appointment feels absolutely massive in terms of whether we can continue this upward trajectory, or we become completely de-railed and hit a downward slide. The main reason I feel so uneasy at the moment is because of the names being banded about as a possible successor - the likes of Nathan Jones and Russell Martin fill me with dread - their level of experience will set us back a few years without doubt and in my opinion are not even close to being in the same mould as GP. I’m even uncertain about Cooper, should he be tempted to leave Forest. The only genuine candidate that excites me is Kjetil Knutsen - his journey is so uncannily like GP’s, he has experience of taking a team into Europe and plays the same brand / style of football we’ve now become accustomed to watching, that our excellent squad of players have the ability to continue.

So in essence, it feels like I’m now on tenter hooks, holding my breath and checking my phone every 5 mins waiting the news with the hope that the new appointment is going to be a positive one that gets me and every other Albion fan smiling and excited again ! This 3 week break from football couldn’t have come at a better time for us. UTA !

Last edited:

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
What most people have already said in this thread is completely how I’m feeling right now. I remain numb and now checking my phone every 5 mins for any hints / updates on where we go from here and who will be our new head coach / manager. While we all totally trust TB, I have to confess that I feel completely on edge because this next appointment feels absolutely massive in terms of whether we can continue this upward trajectory, or we become completely de-railed and hit a downward slide. The main reason I feel so uneasy at the moment is because of the names being banded about as a possible successor - the likes of Nathan Jones and Russell Martin fill me with dread - their level of experience will set us back a few years without doubt and in my opinion are not even close to being in the same mould as GP. I’m even uncertain about Cooper, should he be tempted to leave Forest. The only genuine candidate that excites me is Kjetil Knutsen - his journey is so uncannily like GP’s, he has experience of taking a team into Europe and plays the same brand / style of football we’ve now become accustomed to watching, that our excellent squad of players have the ability to continue.

So in essence, it feels like I’m now on tender hooks, holding my breath and checking my phone every 5 mins waiting the news that the new appointment is going to be a positive one that gets me and every other Albion fan smiling and excited again ! This 3 week break from football couldn’t have come at a better time for us. UTA !

Well I hope tender hooks are better than tenter hooks because Jones, Martin and Cooper fill me with dread too. I really want a Norwegian I've never heard of now although Poch could be fun.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
Well I hope tender hooks are better than tenter hooks because Jones, Martin and Cooper fill me with dread too. I really want a Norwegian I've never heard of now although Poch could be fun.

I’ll correct my spelling ! :wink: and agree that Poch would also excite me, but is he really realistic ?!

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Nope. My definition a project must finish. Potter talked of his project. He is no longer with us. The project, at least this one, has finished.

The project never stops. Just like some of us are always playing...

mqdefault.jpg

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Potter might have had his own little project, but it was just one of the steps on the critical path of Tony’s.

Yep. Tony will still have an end date in mind for his. Indefinite isn’t a project, that’s simply day to day. Sorry. Pedant alert!

drownedgrips

Sep 9, 2022
hove
brunos a let down but yeah I have belief in the team and I hope this will be seen a small bump in the road in the future

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I’d imagine Bruno wants to keep learning his coaching craft and learning from Potter is an excellent way to do so. I’d still be very happy to see him back with us as head coach in the future.

It’s feeling a little less raw today. As the OP said - excellent post by the way [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] - Bloom and Barber will have known this day was coming and will doubtless have a continuously updated shortlist of candidates. I’m not suggesting that yesterday’s events won’t have negative consequences but if there are, they probably won’t be catastrophic.

Onwards.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
I personally don't know how people can be so blasè about this. Yes I know we've been in worse places, yes I know 'little' Brighton will never be top of the food chain, and yes I know I should just accept it as part of football and move on. But for the rest of my life now, whatever happens next, I will always think 'what if?' We are 'little' Brighton. Clubs like us don't challenge for a place in the top six very often, let alone by playing such brilliant football. Where could we have got to if Potter had at least stayed until the end of the season? This was our chance and it's gone and God knows if it'll come again.

And don't tell me "It'll be ok, Tony Bloom's got it under control". I know the club have 'succession planning' if individuals leave (such as Ashworth or Bissouma), but I think that plan will be sorely tested by having to replace a whole group, including some club stalwarts and not just Potter's own team. I cannot see the next manager (and his team) being an upgrade on Potter, and I feel 'peak Albion' has now been reached.

Of course if the new guy does turn out to be better and we win the FA Cup and qualify for Europe then please bounce this post and I will happily eat humble pie, but at the moment I really can't see it.

This.

A day on and I still feel like I've been conned by someone I previously thought highly of. Oh, I'm sure it will pass, but for now.....nope.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Thats the ugly truth.

The Rishi Sunak of Brighton.

For all his bull$hit, when the "official" call came, he had no problems in gutting the entire coaching set up and leaving Brighton with nothing all within 48 hours. Brunos history at the club, the Spanish lads, Tony's opportunity and backing all meant nothing.

Leaving is one thing, plotting in advance to fill your pockets with as much as you can grab for your personal advancement on the way out, is shoddy.

this with bells on.
Totally undeserved shitery

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Now the dust is starting to settle and on a positive note.
I can't think of a better time for Tony to be looking for a new manager. Sitting in 4th place, almost a month to get the right guy before our next game and £22m in the bank to get the one he wants.
Our club has never ever been a more attractive proposition for an incoming manager. We will be spoilt for choice with candidates of Potter's calibre or most likely better.
I'm excited!

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I’d imagine Bruno wants to keep learning his coaching craft and learning from Potter is an excellent way to do so. I’d still be very happy to see him back with us as head coach in the future.

It’s feeling a little less raw today. As the OP said - excellent post by the way [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] - Bloom and Barber will have known this day was coming and will doubtless have a continuously updated shortlist of candidates. I’m not suggesting that yesterday’s events won’t have negative consequences but if there are, they probably won’t be catastrophic.

Onwards.

I'm sorry but Bruno has burnt his bridges with B&B and the fans.

No way would I want him back. He was a legend. Now just another ex-player, in my opinion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here