Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Cold light of day - post Potter

Jan 26, 2015
Berkshire
Now that I've had some time to think about it, I think it may not be such a bad thing. Potter was bound to go, we all knew that. It was just a matter of time. IMO, it was most likely that he'd go to England in January after the World Cup. At least this way, particularly with the way the fixtures have fallen, we have time to appoint someone and give them a couple of weeks to bed in and get to know the players. And we can plan with them for the January window.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I'm sorry but Bruno has burnt his bridges with B&B and the fans.

No way would I want him back. He was a legend. Now just another ex-player, in my opinion.

Respectfully, he’s burnt his bridges with you. You can’t speak for all supporters. I’d happily see him back. That might be a minority view but I reckon I’m not alone in it.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I’d imagine Bruno wants to keep learning his coaching craft and learning from Potter is an excellent way to do so. I’d still be very happy to see him back with us as head coach in the future.

It’s feeling a little less raw today. As the OP said - excellent post by the way [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] - Bloom and Barber will have known this day was coming and will doubtless have a continuously updated shortlist of candidates. I’m not suggesting that yesterday’s events won’t have negative consequences but if there are, they probably won’t be catastrophic.

Onwards.

Thanks Jim.

I agree. It would be lovely if we could somehow see Bruno a seagull again. The perfect scenario. I left, I learned more, I've bought it home.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Graham Potter leaving was obviously shocking and it has taken me a couple of days and several hours of sleeplessness in the past two nights to process it.. The feeling is still part disillusionment, part frustration/anger and part defiance. Bruno's departure was especially painful......

In spite of it all, I begin to feel our renewed support for the new manager (when appointed) and excellent players is vital to ensure the momentum and positivity is maintained.

We should not feel like victims, nor waste time feeling bitter, Our new manager WILL NEED our united vocal support.....

If we get behind him we can continue to surprise the football status quo with our beautiful play and achieve unprecedented success.... and I believe Potter's actions will ensure we generate a lot more support across the country...

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Had a chat with one of our, shall I say “big” , ex player today on the phone. He said that this would have been going on for some time, all parties aware. The only shock was the extra two going. I won’t say anymore but Bloom not impressed.

Crofts was so looking forward to taking the team, shame.

Sometimes is best to know which side your bread is buttered. See what I did there?

This. There is just no way that Boner was given permission to speak to Potter, Potter went to Chelsea had talks, negotiated deals for himself and FIVE others, came back to Brighton, discussed it with his family, the other 5, they discussed it with their families, all made decisions and then let the club know in less than 18 hours. How long do you think Bruno took to decide to leave Brighton?

How did he know that Bruno and Roberts wanted to go or than Boner would say yes to such a large entourage with him?

It's been brewing for a while and a lot of 'what if' pre talks had been going on.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
He is insincere. an emotional vacuum bereft of charisma, very calm calculated, pre planned etc. I wonder how many of the players knew.
I kept thinking during the Fulham game something was seriously wrong. Webster and dunk were all over the shop their minds seemed to be elsewhere. It was a strange match. Was it sometime around then that the players became aware.

Tuchel luckily beat west ham on the Saturday and maybe things were a little rosier for him. And we settled down a bit.

I wonder what would have happened if tuchul had won midweek. Very interesting.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I find it very hard to believe we were paying Potter £7m a year!!!!

Was it a Naylor article or another journo?

Sounds like appeasement to Chelsea fans with it being reported he’s now on £12m a year

I remember reading it before his move and have seen others quote it online. Someone had a screen grab on Twitter. I think it was probably in one of David Ornstein's pieces - so one of their top journalists. I find it slightly hard to believe but it's only the same sort of money we'd drop on some unknown South American prospect. Could actually be money well spent in the Premier League. Would be interesting to know if Keiran Maguire has seen anything that backs it up...

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I kept thinking during the Fulham game something was seriously wrong. Webster and dunk were all over the shop their minds seemed to be elsewhere. It was a strange match. Was it sometime around then that the players became aware.

Tuchel luckily beat west ham on the Saturday and maybe things were a little rosier for him. And we settled down a bit.

Good point.

Also his 'air punch' at the Leicester game seemed like it was dragged out, as if he wasn't going to do it until the fans chant.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Respectfully, he’s burnt his bridges with you. You can’t speak for all supporters. I’d happily see him back. That might be a minority view but I reckon I’m not alone in it.

I've got nothing against Bruno or Ben Roberts for going. They won't have been on the same sort of money as Potter so it's tough to turn that opportunity. I do blame Potter for asking them. He would have been well aware of the predicament that would leave the club in, but obviously wasn't bothered about that.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018

Agree, the set up was odd, seemed panicky and the risk taking was dialled down, maybe more on the line than we realised? Appreciate the extreme paranoia in my response!

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I find it very hard to believe we were paying Potter £7m a year!!!!

Was it a Naylor article or another journo?

Sounds like appeasement to Chelsea fans with it being reported he’s now on £12m a year
I wonder. Sir Alex Ferguson was once asked how a manager could manage to impress and impose himself on all those massive earning football players. "Simple," he said, "Make sure you earn more than the lot of them".
Do you earn more than any of the players then, he was asked.
"Yes", he said.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
£60 million!

Simples.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
I personally don't know how people can be so blasè about this. Yes I know we've been in worse places, yes I know 'little' Brighton will never be top of the food chain, and yes I know I should just accept it as part of football and move on. But for the rest of my life now, whatever happens next, I will always think 'what if?' We are 'little' Brighton. Clubs like us don't challenge for a place in the top six very often, let alone by playing such brilliant football. Where could we have got to if Potter had at least stayed until the end of the season? This was our chance and it's gone and God knows if it'll come again.

And don't tell me "It'll be ok, Tony Bloom's got it under control". I know the club have 'succession planning' if individuals leave (such as Ashworth or Bissouma), but I think that plan will be sorely tested by having to replace a whole group, including some club stalwarts and not just Potter's own team. I cannot see the next manager (and his team) being an upgrade on Potter, and I feel 'peak Albion' has now been reached.

Of course if the new guy does turn out to be better and we win the FA Cup and qualify for Europe then please bounce this post and I will happily eat humble pie, but at the moment I really can't see it.

This is my fear. Looking at TB's joy V Leicester he was not really expecting this. I hope the narrative is that Potter and co don't flourish because TB and PB are the KEY component in it all and as another poster said, no manager has left TB and gone onto anything. With that in mind, and they get the next appointment right (no idea who though) maybe we can still have a good season (will the players respond to a new chap?) this and in the next few years. My fingers are crossed.

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
I personally don't know how people can be so blasè about this. Yes I know we've been in worse places, yes I know 'little' Brighton will never be top of the food chain, and yes I know I should just accept it as part of football and move on. But for the rest of my life now, whatever happens next, I will always think 'what if?' We are 'little' Brighton. Clubs like us don't challenge for a place in the top six very often, let alone by playing such brilliant football. Where could we have got to if Potter had at least stayed until the end of the season? This was our chance and it's gone and God knows if it'll come again.

And don't tell me "It'll be ok, Tony Bloom's got it under control". I know the club have 'succession planning' if individuals leave (such as Ashworth or Bissouma), but I think that plan will be sorely tested by having to replace a whole group, including some club stalwarts and not just Potter's own team. I cannot see the next manager (and his team) being an upgrade on Potter, and I feel 'peak Albion' has now been reached.

Of course if the new guy does turn out to be better and we win the FA Cup and qualify for Europe then please bounce this post and I will happily eat humble pie, but at the moment I really can't see it.

Maybe one day in the future Potter will wonder this too.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Cold light of day?

92 clubs in the leagues (E and P) and 86 of them are just NPC (Non-Playing-Characters).
And this is supposed to be normal.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Cold light of day? For taking all our coaching staff, he is a *unt. Thought I would be less angry by now, but have seriously reached *uck you stage and I am not sure it will have mellowed by the time he rocks up at the Amex with Chelsea. W@nker.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Cold light of day? For taking all our coaching staff, he is a *unt. Thought I would be less angry by now, but have seriously reached *uck you stage and I am not sure it will have mellowed by the time he rocks up at the Amex with Chelsea. W@nker.

For me it’s actually getting worse, I was gutted, numb, sad. Now I’m becoming angry, very, and it’s growing. I know from speaking to others and from what’s on here that I’m nowhere near alone. 29th October is going to be toxic.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Ok. I feel let down and disappointed by the events of yesterday. Bruno going was the emotional punch to the stomach.

But, I feel supreme confidence in Tony Bloom and Paul Barber. They will be ready for this and all the evidence suggests that their plans to replace are in place and rolling. Reading PB’s comments on the club website reinforce that belief.

We will have a new management team in place soon, and let’s remember that unlike last time, we are at the top end of the league. There will not only be managers we have kept tabs on, the phone will be ringing.

As to GP and his team. I wish them well. I just wish it was at a club where I did not mind him succeeding. Hopefully he will be England manager soon.

We will get through this transition. The project continues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes i felt let down at first, then realised its what we are going to do with a team lower than us in the food chain. Oh well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here