Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Cold light of day - post Potter

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
I've mellowed on Bruno going somewhat this morning. I now think he would have been mad to stay given the new coaching team, whoever they may be, may well not want to work with him. He could have found himself surplus to requirements in our senior coaching setup.

He can also now continue to learn from Potter and could come back to us one day far more experienced.

Of course the significant pay rise will have factored into his decision but there is more to this.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I'm considerably less angry about the departees too.

5 year deals on big salaries, with a new owner, who clearly sees Potter as the centre-piece to his new regime.
It isn't just a random offer from a big 6 club, who have run out of options.
Tough one to turn down.
That really is a once in a lifetime offer for those guys.

£21m to add to the ridiculously huge warchest, softens the blows a teeny amount
If Tony and Barbs can pick a decent replacement, we should be fine.

Very sensible and thought provoking comment………….stop it!

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
I personally don't know how people can be so blasè about this. Yes I know we've been in worse places, yes I know 'little' Brighton will never be top of the food chain, and yes I know I should just accept it as part of football and move on. But for the rest of my life now, whatever happens next, I will always think 'what if?' We are 'little' Brighton. Clubs like us don't challenge for a place in the top six very often, let alone by playing such brilliant football. Where could we have got to if Potter had at least stayed until the end of the season? This was our chance and it's gone and God knows if it'll come again.

And don't tell me "It'll be ok, Tony Bloom's got it under control". I know the club have 'succession planning' if individuals leave (such as Ashworth or Bissouma), but I think that plan will be sorely tested by having to replace a whole group, including some club stalwarts and not just Potter's own team. I cannot see the next manager (and his team) being an upgrade on Potter, and I feel 'peak Albion' has now been reached.

Of course if the new guy does turn out to be better and we win the FA Cup and qualify for Europe then please bounce this post and I will happily eat humble pie, but at the moment I really can't see it.

Absolutely this. Well said.

horshamite

Now Saltdeanite.
Nov 16, 2010
I'm considerably less angry about the departees too.

5 year deals on big salaries, with a new owner, who clearly sees Potter as the centre-piece to his new regime.
It isn't just a random offer from a big 6 club, who have run out of options.
Tough one to turn down.
That really is a once in a lifetime offer for those guys.

£21m to add to the ridiculously huge warchest, softens the blows a teeny amount
If Tony and Barbs can pick a decent replacement, we should be fine.

Apparently a 5 year contract worth £60 million was enough to tempt Potter away. And I don't blame him at all!

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Ultimately it is happening so no point getting upset about it.

The fundamentals of the club are fine, although losing Ashworth, Potter and the rest of the coaching staff in relatively quick succession presents a challenge, and we have stability in the board room.

Onwards and upwards.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Well, I can think of a couple of anti-Potter posters on this board who must be reaching for the hand lotion and Kleenex. They know who they are!

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I know what you mean, wider matters with Queen Elizabeth - I cannot remember the funeral of Churchill but going by the moving footage of that January day, it feels similar. The end of a UK era.

The end of an AGE :)

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Nope. One of the project managers and a few of his staff are changing, but the project carries on. Tony won’t **** this up, him and Barbs are too experienced at this PL game now.

Nope. My definition a project must finish. Potter talked of his project. He is no longer with us. The project, at least this one, has finished.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Given the average length of time that most Premier League managers last then we’ve actually done pretty well and, given the way most owners behave (TB being an honourable exception), you can understand why Potter couldn’t turn down an offer from Chelsea to secure his family’s future.
Point of order; His fanily's future had already been secured, probably several times over compared to the rest of us. Yes, he moved for more money, but not because of a 'need' to secure his family's future.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Tony Bloom played a blinder getting the back room staff on long term deals, long before most people, could even see Potter's potential.

For the new team coming in what must stay is the philosophy that you never throw your players under a bus, no matter how bad they play or behave.

Who knows maybe there is more to come from an exceptional group of players and a substantial transfer war chest.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Apparently a 5 year contract worth £60 million was enough to tempt Potter away. And I don't blame him at all!

If, as the Athletic reported, he was on £7m a year with Albion that was a HUGE indication of Bloom's loyalty and meant his salary was right up there with the likes of Tuchel already. Once someone's earnings are at that level, how much more do they actually need? This, I'm sure, is why the likes of Andy Naylor kept insisting it's not a financial decision. The pay rise, nice, if some American's got more money than sense - but I think silverware and Champions League football were genuinely the lure. Not that it makes the timing or choice of club any less annoying.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Having now thought about it. No problem him leaving at or near end of season. However whilst appreciate an attractive offer may not be there then, really good people have principals and that includes under no circumstances leaving Bloom the person who gave you opportunity and looked after you in the poo after just 6 games. And as for taking Bruno and Roberts that is just taking the pee.
Sad thing is this has been going on for sometime. Potter had to put this to 5 others.,They each would discuss with family and terms agreed No way did this happen in 24/48 hours

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Yeah it will all be fine for Brighton eventually.

I'm guessing that the new bloke they find will go pretty much "do whatever you did before" with the squad until the World Cup when its like another pre-season and the coaches have the time to introduce some new ideas. After that it could be a wonky ride for a few months but eventually hopefully the players have settled into new ideas etc.

I've seen people complain that this is the worst possible situation for GP & folks to leave the club in but I don't agree with that. If the team had picked 5 or 6 points now, it would be a very difficult situation but those 13 points - already more than 1/4 into a secured contract - will be very handy for whoever takes over; provides a bit of margin.

Overall, Brighton could probably forget about Europe (which wasn't very likely either way) this season - too much change for that - but will be playing in the PL 2023/24 as well.

You must be gutted, that Potter didnt negotiate a forum moderator gig on shed talk?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Having now thought about it. No problem him leaving at or near end of season. However whilst appreciate an attractive offer may not be there then, really good people have principals and that includes under no circumstances leaving Bloom the person who gave you opportunity and looked after you in the poo after just 6 games. And as for taking Bruno and Roberts that is just taking the pee.
Sad thing is this has been going on for sometime. Potter had to put this to 5 others.,They each would discuss with family and terms agreed No way did this happen in 24/48 hours

Thats the ugly truth.

The Rishi Sunak of Brighton.

For all his bull$hit, when the "official" call came, he had no problems in gutting the entire coaching set up and leaving Brighton with nothing all within 48 hours. Brunos history at the club, the Spanish lads, Tony's opportunity and backing all meant nothing.

Leaving is one thing, plotting in advance to fill your pockets with as much as you can grab for your personal advancement on the way out, is shoddy.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004

Very much this and surprised more people haven't picked up on it. So all the punching the air stuff on the pitch after Leics might conceivable been insincere

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
If, as the Athletic reported, he was on £7m a year with Albion that was a HUGE indication of Bloom's loyalty and meant his salary was right up there with the likes of Tuchel already. Once someone's earnings are at that level, how much more do they actually need? This, I'm sure, is why the likes of Andy Naylor kept insisting it's not a financial decision. The pay rise, nice, if some American's got more money than sense - but I think silverware and Champions League football were genuinely the lure. Not that it makes the timing or choice of club any less annoying.

I find it very hard to believe we were paying Potter £7m a year!!!!

Was it a Naylor article or another journo?

Sounds like appeasement to Chelsea fans with it being reported he’s now on £12m a year

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here