Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Clubs with delusions of grandeur

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
tommy boy said:
geordies ARE the most welcoming people

go up there and compare the friendliness you recieve to what you get down here and you will be suprised

My sister in law lived there while she was at uni.

She was burgled on a regular basis and was frightened to be in the house on her own, as they were once burgled while they were in.

Like all places, there are good and bad areas of town, so it's the overall balance that is important.

There will always be people who have bad experiences of places that others think are great.

Back to the point of the thread, having worked with an office full of the blighters for 5 years, Spurs fans are definitely the most deluded. Sadly, I think they're currently running into a good period under Barry from Eastenders, so they'll just get worse!

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Personally I didn't have a problem with Leeds or the fans that I met up there last year. They're obviously in a bit of shock as to where they are now, and who wouldn't be given the fact that they were European Cup semi-finallists not that long ago?

But I found most of them to be quite realistic about the situation and position of the club now. And to be honest, I think you have to look at the history of Leeds as a club (and the continued size of their support) and think that they probably should not expect to spend too much time outside the top flight.

Personally I'd go with Spurs for this constant claim that they are as big a club as their two Champions League neighbors, and Southampton for this genuine belief they have that they are going to walk this division.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I have a soft spot for the geordies having had to deal with them for over 15 years from being a Sage reseller. Spent many a night in Quayside (keyside?) and did even get the aforementioned kiss from some young lady one night.
It was just a shame that I had just had a meal that consisted mainly of pan fried onions.

Lovely friendly people though in my experience

Stinky Kat said:
I used to work in Newcastle and one thing I liked about the place was the whole city supported the Toon. Yes they have illusions of grandeur, having not won anything for years but they have started going to matches (in the 80ies they got small crowds) and I would not begruge them an FA cup or league cup.

For me its Reading who fancy themselves as big boys, but I predict they will have a poor season and miss out on the play offs again - lets hope so.

Hmmmm, their "small crowds in the 80s " were still around 20,000 whereas our "big crowds" were around 10,000.

Their fans are great, their manager and chairman are prixe nobs with first class honours

Pigsy

Jul 14, 2004
Forest fans continue to think they are one of the nation's clubs with a god given right to be in the prem/Europe

Rangers and Celtic fans............................ is anyone impressed by 167 Scottish league titles

Tottenham must be the biggest load of under-achievers with ahige over inflated opinioon of their own importance.

Manchester City anyone

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Storer68 said:
Rangers and Celtic fans............................ is anyone impressed by 167 Scottish league titles

They can only win what's there to be won...without getting into the old firm/premiership thing again.

I find being the first British club to win European Cup and with 11 players from your own city quite an achievement as well.

ATFC Seagull said:
They can only win what's there to be won...without getting into the old firm/premiership thing again.

I find being the first British club to win European Cup and with 11 players from your own city quite an achievement as well.

but it was 38 years ago and they are STILL banging on about it.

And what have they done in europe since, to prove that it wasn't a fluke

Glory hunters the lot of 'em I say ( and I shan't even mention the sectarian bigotry)

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Storer68 said:
Hmmmm, their "small crowds in the 80s " were still around 20,000 whereas our "big crowds" were around 10,000.

Their fans are great, their manager and chairman are prixe nobs with first class honours

small in comparison to the 57000 they get now!

Goodfella

North Stand Boy X320
Feb 9, 2004
Brighton
enigma said:
Geordies arent the most welcoming people, and in my opinion the north-east is one of the most redneck areas in England

I have to disagree, purely from a football fan point of view, i have found the folks from the north-east some of the friendliest i have come across. Last sesaon up at Sunderland was fan-tastic, and never felt so cool in a bar full of opposing fans.

:clap2: A big up for fans of the north-east from me.

HAMPSHIRE DAVE

Dec 7, 2004
NR SOUTHAMPTON
Having lived in the North East for eight years a few view points.
Sunderland fans are a far more friendly bunch than the "cartoon army".
Yes people from Newcastle support their local team which is a big plus,lets see how many fans from Chelsea,Man Utd would still be around if they go the next ten years without winning anything.
The downside:
Don't dare say anything's wrong with the team or place Newcastle and they will come down on you like a ton of bricks.
Most of them are so far up there own backside they must be constipated.
People from Sunderland are much more realistic about there city.
They know it's not the greatest place in the world even with the improvements but they are proud in a quiet way cause it's where they come from.
Yes Newcastle has the clubs etc but do you really want over weight Geordies throwing up everywhere while trying to pretend there real men cause "they drink 20 pints of broon a neet".
Newcastle is the least hard work to get a 'shag'
God the women are common!
HAMPSHIRE DAVE

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here