Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Clubs with delusions of grandeur

E

enigma

Commander said:
Really? I didn't know that. Why do they hate him so much, he got them promoted, didn't he?

Spurs are the most deluded club. They've been shit for the last decade and they still think they're the best in Europe. It would make my entire year if they went down. Can you imagine the moaning at White Hart Lane and on 606? Would be absolutely hilarious.

:lolol:

It would be truly hilarious- one of the best sporting moments of all time in my opinion. I can imagine the uproar- I remember when they won the league cup, at my school you would have thought it was the Rio Carnival the way the spurs fans were dancing around! Sad bastards

The best thing I heard about Spurs was from an Arsenal Fan- he said he hated everything about them especially "that sad bloody pigeon on their crest":lolol: :lolol:

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley
Deftly sidestepping the Spurs stuff...

Used to like Newcastle under Keegan, at least their European Thursday nights with the likes of Asprilla, Ginola, Beardsley going gung ho... Now they're just unpleasant, under a manager who exemplifies the cliche about being 'well-balanced - a chip on both shoulders' and who makes whingeing Sam Allardyce seem like the model of polite graciousness by comparison...

Man City fans often annoy by waiting, ooh, all of, say, 12 seconds to start singing 'Worst fans we've ever seen', regardless of the actual reaction around them, but they do seem to have earned some self-righteousness by turning out in the old Second Division even when many neighbours would have turned to the then-European Champions.

Reckon Souness'll go soon, Pardew to follow (replaced by Dowie by New Year), and Curbishley not far behind.

But back to Brighton... McGhee for Palace? :jester: ;)

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley
Few dodgy results, bad start to the season, Terry Brown panicking, Spammer fans wondering why they aren't challenging for a Champions League place, a return to Reading suddenly turning up, wanting to evade the Spurs fans waving goodbye on the last day of the season... :)

E

enigma

Pardew, Souness, Coleman- all front runners to be sacked in my opinion

Stumpy Tim

I think people are a little harsh towards the Newcastle fans. I'm sure they used to get decent crowds pre-Keegan, and used to pack the away end at the Goldstone. I like the Geordie faithful actually. Souness on the other hand is a prize nob, who had the money to rebuild Liverpool & bought shite like Ruddock. And now he's trying to get Newcastle into the Premier League top 3 by buying players like Boa Morte! Parker's a good buy though. He's the first one on his bike in my book.

Of the others, I don't think Pardew will go - I actually think they'll avoid a really bad relegation scrap. They need to seriously tighten the defence though. If Villa don't start well O'Leary may go - they had a dreadful end to the season. And Man City have no 20-a-season strikers, so Pearce may get under a little pressure

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Stumpy Tim said:
I think people are a little harsh towards the Newcastle fans. I'm sure they used to get decent crowds pre-Keegan, and used to pack the away end at the Goldstone. I like the Geordie faithful actually. Souness on the other hand is a prize nob, who had the money to rebuild Liverpool & bought shite like Ruddock. And now he's trying to get Newcastle into the Premier League top 3 by buying players like Boa Morte! Parker's a good buy though. He's the first one on his bike in my book.

Of the others, I don't think Pardew will go - I actually think they'll avoid a really bad relegation scrap. They need to seriously tighten the defence though. If Villa don't start well O'Leary may go - they had a dreadful end to the season. And Man City have no 20-a-season strikers, so Pearce may get under a little pressure

Not many clubs have twenty goal a season strikers in prem

Oct 25, 2003
enigma said:
Geordies arent the most welcoming people, and in my opinion the north-east is one of the most redneck areas in England
geordies ARE the most welcoming people

go up there and compare the friendliness you recieve to what you get down here and you will be suprised

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Palace. Seem to think that they are a premiership club that got relegated, rather than a lower division club that punched above their weight for a little while.

Not Leeds - they actually ARE a big club. Just been desperately badly run for years and years.

E

enigma

tommy boy said:
geordies ARE the most welcoming people

go up there and compare the friendliness you recieve to what you get down here and you will be suprised

Fair enough, its a game of opinions. I remember getting a fair amount of anti-southern feeling and several of my mates had aggro up there.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I went "down" to Newcastle for a stag night from Edinburgh, loved the place, it was dead friendly. Spent most of the time in bars around the keyside, on two different occasions lasses walked up and kissed me, was shocked the first time but managed to re-compose myself to ask the second why she had done it, here response, I just felt like it!!! Who can argue with reasoning like that?

Think the south has a bit of a bad rap when it comes to being unfriendly, met a couple from Nottingham on holiday in Worthing a few years back, they were praising the welcome they had received in comparison to London.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I think im one of the few that dosent actually mind Souness.

I think he's getting rid of the right players there, and the players he is after are a much better quality than they have.
If they can land Boa Morte and a top level striker i think they will suprise a few.
There opening fixtures to the season are shocking though, so if things went terribly he could go.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
I used to work in Newcastle and one thing I liked about the place was the whole city supported the Toon. Yes they have illusions of grandeur, having not won anything for years but they have started going to matches (in the 80ies they got small crowds) and I would not begruge them an FA cup or league cup.

For me its Reading who fancy themselves as big boys, but I predict they will have a poor season and miss out on the play offs again - lets hope so.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Commander said:
Spurs are the most deluded club. They've been shit for the last decade and they still think they're the best in Europe. It would make my entire year if they went down. Can you imagine the moaning at White Hart Lane and on 606? Would be absolutely hilarious.

I'm with you on that one.

Tigers shirt

Jul 31, 2005
Burwash
Glad my post got a good reaction, can I add Portsmouth to the equation. They have to be one of most arrogant clubs around (anyone remember them locking us in the way end after the game in 80's, we lost 4-1? and they played the whole radio commentary back to us over the tannoy)

I always think of the place as a slightly better version of Gillingham and if I hear one more person say they have brilliant fans I'll go mad. Endless repetitive strains of the 'Pompey Chimes' is crap and annoying, I'm just waiting for their bubble to burst. They have nothing else to cheer about in the godforsaken place and they are all nasty little tossers to boot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here