Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Clubs signings and exits in the Championship

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Southampton have been er.... busy?

Thats what I thought, they give it we have money and everything but have hardly improved their team which came 2nd. Quite surprised

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
Yes, Barnsley's signings so far have been less than impressive (L1 players mainly), but IMO it would be very foolish to write them off as relegation certs, Keith Hill is a very canny manager who can get the best out of supposedly average players, im not suggesting play-offs but i think they'll surprise a few teams this season.

Diar

Apr 12, 2011
Yes, Barnsley's signings so far have been less than impressive (L1 players mainly), but IMO it would be very foolish to write them off as relegation certs, Keith Hill is a very canny manager who can get the best out of supposedly average players, im not suggesting play-offs but i think they'll surprise a few teams this season.

Just the sort of signings they need to make. If they can forge a unit they could surprise.
L1 and hungry is the way to go.

westy

Jul 25, 2003
Just the sort of signings they need to make. If they can forge a unit they could surprise.
L1 and hungry is the way to go.

Well we already know they have at least one weak spot… Wherever they play Jimmy Mac.. Never the same after that horrid injury, poor sod.

SeagullEd

Jan 18, 2008
My point is that we shouldn't be humbled by a few clubs making a few journeyman free transfers.

Plus we've signed young talent.

I think you've missed the point

It's quite hard to miss the point of your post when none of the above is what you said... your only argument was ' we have spent the third most'.

Yes, money helps, but please lets not become a club who rate their squad etc on money spent.

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
Thats what I thought, they give it we have money and everything but have hardly improved their team which came 2nd. Quite surprised

From our team last year the following were easily championship quality:

Davis
Bialkowski
Butterfield (back up)
Fonte
Harding
Chambo
Schneiderlin
Hammond (back up)
Chaplow (backup)
Lallana
Holmes
Lambert
Conolly
Barnard (back up)
Guly

The ones with back up next to their name are players that can do a job, but no doubt are the weaker players.

ones not mentioned arn't good enough imo

Also with the signings of Cork, and De Ridder, we're looking very strong in midfield, probably up there with the strongest in the division, West Ham not included.

Just need a couple of defensive signings imo.

Just need

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
From our team last year the following were easily championship quality:

Davis
Bialkowski
Butterfield (back up)
Fonte
Harding
Chambo
Schneiderlin
Hammond (back up)
Chaplow (backup)
Lallana
Holmes
Lambert
Conolly
Barnard (back up)
Guly

The ones with back up next to their name are players that can do a job, but no doubt are the weaker players.

ones not mentioned arn't good enough imo

Also with the signings of Cork, and De Ridder, we're looking very strong in midfield, probably up there with the strongest in the division, West Ham not included.

Just need a couple of defensive signings imo.

Just need

so you think your midfield is second only to west hams ? You are on another planet

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
so you think your midfield is second only to west hams ? You are on another planet

I said up thee with, not second. West ham are miles ahead of everyone. In Lallana we have one of the best players in the league, Chambo will be one of the best players in the league after a few games. Cork and Shneiderlin both U21 internationals for England and France respectively. That is a very strong midfield.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
I said up thee with, not second. West ham are miles ahead of everyone. In Lallana we have one of the best players in the league, Chambo will be one of the best players in the league after a few games. Cork and Shneiderlin both U21 internationals for England and France respectively. That is a very strong midfield.

I would say our midfield is more than equal to yours ! Hopefully an other addition to come too ! How do you rate brums midfield ?
Oh and whilst you are at it how does your defence and strike force compare to the rest of the championship ?

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
I would say our midfield is more than equal to yours ! Hopefully an other addition to come too ! How do you rate brums midfield ?
Oh and whilst you are at it how does your defence and strike force compare to the rest of the championship ?

Fonte is probably up there with the best of the CB's. Harding is good enough for the championship as well. Butterfield has experience there, but can be suspect. Word has it we've had a bid for Kaspars Gorkss accepted, if so we will have one of the best CB's from last season alongside Fonte.

Conolly is still technically one of the best finishers in the league. Just hope he can get a run of games and stay fit. A lot will hinge on Lambert, he's looking very fit this year, no fat on him what-so-ever. Pretty much pissed over the west brom CB's when he came on last week as well so hopeully he can kick on in the Championship. In two seasons he's banged in over 60 goals for us so I expect he'll be able to make the step up.

I think in all honesty Midfield is where we are much stronger than you, from your midfield I think Lua Lua is the only one i'd take. Bridcutt wouldn't be bad back up for Cork and Schneiderlin though!

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Fonte is probably up there with the best of the CB's. Harding is good enough for the championship as well. Butterfield has experience there, but can be suspect. Word has it we've had a bid for Kaspars Gorkss accepted, if so we will have one of the best CB's from last season alongside Fonte.

Conolly is still technically one of the best finishers in the league. Just hope he can get a run of games and stay fit. A lot will hinge on Lambert, he's looking very fit this year, no fat on him what-so-ever. Pretty much pissed over the west brom CB's when he came on last week as well so hopeully he can kick on in the Championship. In two seasons he's banged in over 60 goals for us so I expect he'll be able to make the step up.

I think in all honesty Midfield is where we are much stronger than you, from your midfield I think Lua Lua is the only one i'd take. Bridcutt wouldn't be bad back up for Cork and Schneiderlin though!

bridcutt will be eng u21 by end of season, we have buckley too as well as Lua Lua and noone! I expect a big midfield signing any day soon too! And how many goals did barnes, CMS and Hoskins get last season ? Harding and Hammond would just about get on our bench, hardly championship standard !

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
Bridcutt, won't be an U21. Also I would think both our first choice wingers are better than yours. You can't Count CMS and Hoskins. CMS wouldn't have scored that many goals in any other team in the league as no other team created as many chances as peterborough and Hoskins was Bristols only goal scorer. It will be interesting to see how your new forward line gets on with no aerial threat.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I've never been too impressed with Schniederlin to be honest, albeit only seen him a few times.

I wouldn't swap Bridcutt and Dicker for anyone in the Championship really, could do with a third player of that standard after losing Bennett though. I think this shows why the Championship is how it is, any team can beat any other. Most teams seem to have made good signings. Watford and Coventry seem like the ones that haven't adressed problems.

Sam Ovett

The New Manager Bus
Bridcutt, won't be an U21. Also I would think both our first choice wingers are better than yours. You can't Count CMS and Hoskins. CMS wouldn't have scored that many goals in any other team in the league as no other team created as many chances as peterborough and Hoskins was Bristols only goal scorer. It will be interesting to see how your new forward line gets on with no aerial threat.

??? So to score goals for a poor side is not good enough as he was the only one who scored, and CMS is not as good as everyone says because he scored 35...I think we created a lot of chances last season too and if Murray/Barnes/Wood could have finished better I reckon Barnes and Murray would have got 30 each. OPINIONS

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
erm, we created PLENTY of chances our strikers didn't take that CMS most likely would have (and probably Hoiskins too - for me scoing as many as he did in a shit team makes it more impressive, not less).
I'd take LuaLua over any of your wingers, Chamberlain may have potential but did he do it every week last season? Didn't seem like it to me, but again that's as an outsider looking in? :) But I'd take any of your wingers over Noone, Buckley is a bit of an unknown.

Bridcutt won't get in the U21s but he should be playing Premiership football in the next 2-3 years if he keeps playing as well as he did last season. I think he'll take to the Championship like a duck to water.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Nooooooooooooo! Please dear God no. The exact attitude I really hope will not be associated with BHAFC any time soon.

We KNOW money doesn't equal success, and even though it helps, it shouldn't be all we're about. It's about football, not money.

For Gods Sake this has got my back up.

+1 rep.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Millwall have gone backwards with their transfers this summer. Replacing Steve Morison will be very difficult and I think they could be involved in a relegation battle.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here